Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460790 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #705 on: June 25, 2011, 09:49:31 am »

This was a while back, so quite a few people may not remember it. I was watching the news (I think it was on channel 10) and they had something about "How these ultra realistic games will corrupt your children!" and you know what the ultra realistic games were? Doom 2 and Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

WTF?

Yeah, those stories about children emulating games they play are annoying, anyway, I'mma go spend three hours killing NPC's to grind XP
*Hugs*

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 25, 2011, 10:07:19 am »

Playing Might and Magic does not make me, at any point, want to go and give an old man a heart attack so I can choose between good and evil and build a portal so the alien wizards can go back home to their flat planet and their manticores.

It does make me want to learn how to write a story so awesome it fuses fantasy and Sci-fi together.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 25, 2011, 12:38:23 pm »

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is an NPR radio comedy that's sort of a news game show. As one of their regular segments, they have a guest "celebrity" phone in to play, and ask them three multiple-choice quetsions about something utterly obscure and unrelated to anything that person is famous for. The results are usually pretty amusing.

Today, they had Bill Clinton as the guest, and his topic was My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

He *nailed* it. 3 for 3.  :o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 25, 2011, 04:00:57 pm »

Installing a new bathtub requires drywall, but you don't need much, because it's mainly something to glue the surround to. For some reason, 1/4" drywall costs more per sheet than 3/8' drywall, and nearly as much as 1/2".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 25, 2011, 11:36:05 pm »

This was a while back, so quite a few people may not remember it. I was watching the news (I think it was on channel 10) and they had something about "How these ultra realistic games will corrupt your children!" and you know what the ultra realistic games were? Doom 2 and Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

WTF?

You're Australian too right?

Channel 10 are WHORES. I saw their "news" once and they covered a book launch, all well and good so far, but then they cut back to the newsreader who said "and <that book> is $19.95 from your nearest 'Angus and Robertson' bookshop". Not only telling you what to buy, but what shop to buy it at!

That's just NOT NEWS, it's an infomericial!

Also they once referred on Channel 10 News to Delta Goodrem as being "Australia's Sweetheart, for the longest time". Me and my then girlfriend both burst out laughing, this was less than 18 months after she left Channel 10's show "Neighbours" to start her singing career. She was all of 20 years old at the time (this was about 2006).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:44:42 pm by Reelyanoob »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 25, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »

Ah channel 10.
Well at least they have GNW. It ain't no chasers war, but it fills the empty hole.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 25, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »

WTF?
That's just NOT NEWS, it's an infomericial!
All Australian "news" shows seem to do the same thing. It's sad, really, instead of broadcasting the news, they just say shit like "Bieber album! Only 59.99!". And they also seem to get away with stalking people and making them out as if they were monsters. Oh, and they usually "report" shit a few months after it actually happens.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 26, 2011, 12:06:35 am »

@Angel of Death: Commercial 7, 9 and 10 networks are all like that. Just ignore Today Tonight and A Current Affair, they are on par with FOX News in the USA except not really political.

ABC and SBS give you decent reporting, SBS especially. (these are the equivalent of PBS or NPR for you Americans).

My girlfriend loved GNW, we used to watch it on ABC before Channel 10 bought it, but even she's had enough of how long it's gotten. Channel 10 really seem to have a problem with constraining show-length and over-exposing their popular stuff, remember "Big Brother", and now "Master Chef". 7 and 9 don't do that sort of crap, shows are on when they're on and no bullshit, it's a specific Channel 10 mental illness.

How long is GNW now? 2 hours? more? That used to be the occasional 'special' but now it's the format every week. Channel 10 really seems to think that if you enjoy watching something for half an hour, you'll just LOVE 2-3 hours of that same thing every week. or, in the case of Big Brother, 4-5 hours per day of crap. And they wonder why people stopped watching (that, and making Kyle + Jackie the hosts)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:12:16 am by Reelyanoob »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 26, 2011, 12:10:27 am »

@Angel of Death: Commercial 7, 9 and 10 networks are all like that. Just ignore Today Tonight and A Current Affair, they are on par with FOX News in the USA except not really political.
I'm pretty sure A Current Affair is actually owned by Fox.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 26, 2011, 12:14:40 am »

Aussie "A Current Affair" was first broadcast on 22 November 1971
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Current_Affair#1970s
The slide into tabloid journalism is said to have really arisen when Ray Martin became the host.
It was a serious journalistic show before that. Original host, Mike Willisee's, production company sold the rights to Channel 9.

American FOX "A Current Affair" started in 1986.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Current_Affair_(U.S._TV_series)

There's no reference of a direct link. The Americans may have borrowed the name because it's not copyright-able.

(ACA and Today Tonight often both promise "after this next ad-break: girls are getting giant boob implants! and we interview hot blondes with big boobs in bikinis! latest news!", they repeat this claim for every ad break, and the boobs are always the very last thing they show in the episode). I use to watch those shows a bit, and you don't have enough fingers to check off on all the possible excuses to get a boob story into each episode.

Media Watch ran a story about how linked into the cosmetic surgery industry one of those shows is. Ok the google search phrase for this is "Botox Brides", and here's the Media Watch article. Not ONE of the Brides cited had botox btw, but "Botox Brides" was too catchy NOT to use, so they dubbed out the lady's voice and had a male reporter basically yell "Botox" over the video at the right moments. This is definitely worth a read. Murdoch's paper and A current Affair are both muddled up in this one. They also interviewed employees of the cosmetic clinic without telling the viewer that they were cosmetic nurses who had the work done for free. "...I'm lucky I work in the industry and don't have to pay for a lot of this." made it into the paper, but wasn't relevant to the TV show.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:22:08 am by Reelyanoob »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #716 on: June 26, 2011, 01:51:02 am »

WTF?

My WTF moment today was reading that post. Bitches don't know 'bout realistic games.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:53:48 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 26, 2011, 01:52:12 am »

Facepalm indeed.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 26, 2011, 08:24:36 am »

My mom was playing Portal 2 Coop. And hilariously failed at it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 26, 2011, 08:28:23 am »

My mom was playing Portal 2 Coop. And hilariously failed at it.

Was she not thinking with portals? Or was she looking for cake?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 11040