Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433838 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #7005 on: March 26, 2012, 08:27:28 pm »

I just found out that the computers that guided the Apollo missions was 2.048 Mhz. My phone is a dual-core 1Ghz. o_o
I heard it a slightly different way, that the average microwave oven has more computing power than the Apollo guidance computers had. Kinda pisses me off that we haven't been back to the moon yet :|
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:12 pm »

Well, the idiots in our government are short sighted. We should have a form on the census or a yearly sign up or something that dictates how our individual taxes are spent. I would pull all support for faith-based crap and pork, and dump it all in infastructure, science and education.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: March 26, 2012, 08:30:01 pm »

I blame the military stealing all the budget.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: March 26, 2012, 08:33:00 pm »

I just found out that the computers that guided the Apollo missions was 2.048 Mhz. My phone is a dual-core 1Ghz. o_o
I heard it a slightly different way, that the average microwave oven has more computing power than the Apollo guidance computers had. Kinda pisses me off that we haven't been back to the moon yet :|
Or, you know, to Mars.

If we can go to the moon in a stopwatch we can go to Mars in a supercomputer. We just lack the coinage.

The military at least has a legitimate reason to exist.

But there are billions of dollars tied up in American expendiatures alone that go... Nowhere. Into politicians greasy palms or corporate hoarders. 200 years of gunk from Democracy that really needs a cleaning system. Political Draino, if you will.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »

Er, one step at a time. Let's at least get back to the Moon, maybe set up a sort of semi-permanent habitat up there before we worry about Mars. :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: March 26, 2012, 08:36:46 pm »

I know I don't make political comments very often, but I blame politicians for generally being bastards for the last couple decades forcing them to indulge in the military industrial-complex and entrenching the American people's money and patience in wars we can't pull out of due to the otherwise disastrous political consequences.

I'll go back in my serious discussion hidey-hole now.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: March 26, 2012, 08:38:08 pm »

Er, one step at a time. Let's at least get back to the Moon, maybe set up a sort of semi-permanent habitat up there before we worry about Mars. :P
You're not going to vote Gingrich, are you? >.>

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: March 26, 2012, 08:39:19 pm »

You're not going to vote Gingrich, are you? >.>
HELL no. While I would like a moon base, I recognize that we've got other problems as well. Besides, there's no reason that Gingrich is the only dude who can build a moon base.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:27 pm »

We've been to the moon at least twice if you count other contries, and the ISS is a kinda-semipermanent habitat. But the only things we have on mars are rovers that continue to rove years after they're supposed to. And broken rovers.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: March 26, 2012, 08:42:55 pm »

We've been to the moon at least twice if you count other contries, and the ISS is a kinda-semipermanent habitat. But the only things we have on mars are rovers that continue to rove years after they're supposed to. And broken rovers.
The Moon could be a launchpad/way station for Mars voyages, plus the orbital motion around the Earth could conceivably be used as a sort of booster to make the trip. Honestly, a moon base is the logical first step. I just hope that happens when I'm still young enough to take a vacation up there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: March 26, 2012, 09:21:27 pm »

Not the main issue. Defenses expenditures are greater than anything else-except Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. The U.S. federal budget for the 2011 fiscal year alloted ~$700b (19%) to defense spending. ~$725b (20%) went to Social Security, and ~$835 (23%) went to Medicare/Medicaid. Both of the latter will only get worse as the babyboomers get into retirement age. I'm not about to argue that the defense budget isn't inflated, or that there isn't a lot of waste, but we have bigger monetary fish to fry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:12 pm »

http://www.dailycamera.com/lafayette-news/ci_20176992/lafayette-police-cat-refuses-jog-around-lake-owner

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10101/level3/COOR_CH25ANFO_ARTIINGE.html#COOR_CH25ANFO_ARTIINGE_S25-1DOANCRTRPR

One reason dogs are (arguably) better than cats: you can take them out jogging.

According to the Boulder Daily Camera, a 19-year-old man was ticketed in nearby Lafayette, Colorado, last week "on suspicion of tethering his cat to a rock after the pet refused to go jogging with him." An officer was quoted as saying that a passerby called police after allegedly seeing the cat's leash tied to a rock in a local park. "Apparently," said Sgt. Fred Palmer, "the individual was trying to jog with the animal on a leash and the animal was either unwilling or unable to keep up." Well, it was a cat so I think we can guess which it was, but the end result was the same: the "individual" tied the cat's leash to a rock so he could finish his run.

The cat wasn't harmed by the alleged tethering. (The report cites "police radio traffic" in support of a claim that the cat "was being attacked by a flock of birds while it was tied to the rock," but while that is highly amusing it's also highly unlikely. Birds aren't that stupid.) The owner was ticketed for "domestic animal cruel treatment," but this is explained by the fact that the town's animal-cruelty ordinance states that "tethering" is considered "cruel" by definition.

Specifically, the ordinance makes it illegal to "tether" any animal in Lafayette except as follows:

"Animals may, only upon an owner's property, be restrained by a tether; however any such tether must be at least ten (10) feet in unobstructed length and attached to a pulley or trolley mounted cable which is at least ten (10) feet in unobstructed length and mounted no more than seven (7) feet above ground level. The tethering system must be entirely contained within the owner's property, any tether shall weigh no more than one-eighth (⅛) of the animal's weight, have swivels on both ends and be attached to a properly fitted collar or harness."

That is, even on your own property, no matter how briefly and regardless of any harm to the animal, you cannot tie your pet's leash to anything except one of these ridiculous contraptions. (The ordinance defines "tethering" as securing the animal to a "fixed base," so they do at least permit you to walk your dog - or cat - on a leash, which is nice of them.) It is, of course, already illegal to abuse or neglect an animal, so it's not clear to me what the anti-tethering rule adds. Maybe somebody's cousin owns a pet-tethering-contraption company?

The Daily Camera located a Facebook account that may or may not be the defendant's -- the name is identical, the owner lives in the Boulder area and has adopted a cat (named "Stella!," apparently with the exclamation point). In one of the pictures posted to the account, Stella! is wearing a leash or harness, although whether she is actually "tethered" to something is not clear. She certainly doesn't appear to have been mistreated.

She doesn't seem too happy about things, but then she is a cat.

Screw it, cats are simply better than most dogs and this man failed to recognize this. He will learn sooner or later.

This man is being arrested for burglary, no really....
http://www.wjbdradio.com/index.php?f=news_single&id=32460
Being fashion conscious myself, I applaud him for dressing for the occasion. I also snicker....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:56:48 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: March 26, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »

Not the main issue. Defenses expenditures are greater than anything else-except Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. The U.S. federal budget for the 2011 fiscal year alloted ~$700b (19%) to defense spending. ~$725b (20%) went to Social Security, and ~$835 (23%) went to Medicare/Medicaid. Both of the latter will only get worse as the babyboomers get into retirement age. I'm not about to argue that the defense budget isn't inflated, or that there isn't a lot of waste, but we have bigger monetary fish to fry.
I know that, I was talking about the budget bits that weren't preclaimed by SS & Medicare/Medicaid, or other things we can't really cut very easily like the debt.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:41 pm »

I know that, I was talking about the budget bits that weren't preclaimed by SS & Medicare/Medicaid, or other things we can't really cut very easily like the debt.
Thing is, even if we cut defense spending to $0 (which just flat out isn't possible, for a number of reasons), that might not even make up the gap between what we're spending and revenues. All other discretionary spending combined is even less than defense spending (and yet is still cut more often), and cutting it would be equally pointless and more harmful. Discretionary spending isn't the thing that is killing the federal budget, the entitlement programs (S.S., Medicare, and Medicaid) are. The only long run solution will require the government to admit that the model for those programs just plain isn't sustainable with current population demographics. Yes, defense cuts could help. Yes, cuts to other types of discretionary spending could help. Would either actually pull the federal govt. back into the black? No. Would both together? No. Which makes it all the more unfortunate that the last things to be cut are the entitlement programs, and the first to go are social discretionary spending programs (education, etc.). So not only is the nation's budget being driven into the ground by the unbalanced demographic spread, but the programs helping the new generations of citizens are going to go even further downhill. Is it fair to cut S.S., Medicare, and Medicaid after the boomers have paid into it their whole lives? No. Is it necessary? Yes.

_______
Unrelated: Oh gog that picture... XD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7019 on: March 26, 2012, 11:07:03 pm »

Pretty much none of the budget is the kind of thing we can cut dramatically without damaging the country, even defense. We are about 40% over budget, even the 3 big items listed are each around 20%. What I would like to see happen to the military budget is cut it by 1% (of the military budget) per year every year until it is no greater than 10% of the the total budget. I would also set aside an amount starting at 1% of (the military budget) increasing by 1% of the military budget every year for 5 years to be held for emergency operational costs. That way expedient military responses do not become subject to right wing budgetary brinkmanship. That is actually a pretty mild draw down compared to what a lot of other liberals want.

What we really need is tax reform. And by tax reform I do not mean cutting loopholes (but only if we also cut the rate of taxation on the wealthiest Americans to remain revenue neutral). I mean cutting those loopholes and raising the tax rates on the wealthiest Americans (first, possibly everyone later). But really, balancing the budget would be priority 2 or 3, after recovery from the great recession and probably restoring civil liberties eroded in the last few decades. Though there is no reason that restoring civil liberties can't happen at the same time as balancing the budget and even economic recovery.

But I am a weirdo crazy dude.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 11039