Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4556 4557 [4558] 4559 4560 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14574422 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68355 on: January 25, 2015, 06:03:14 am »

Got a quote from steam

The same old mediocre Minecraft mentality of 'Here's an open area. Build something' is as common as the air we breathe. Developers don't actually have to put any creative effort into it as its expected of the player to create their own source of entertainment from what's given to them

It actually sort of made me think and question whether or not sandbox is often used as a crutch and how much credit one can attribute to these games and how much can we just attribute to the player.

Many of these aspects are just a product of the fact that sandbox games are MOSTLY new and so the expectation of quality isn't there just yet.

I can certainly think of plenty of boring and bland open world games that just sort of go "Yeah do stuff here" and you might as well not bother.

I mean I always was someone who always stood up for focused gameplay. I thought people overblown the "amazingness of sandbox and procedural games" as they tended to create uneven levels that, because they are so random, all looked the same in the end. It has been years and Spelunky is still one of the only few games that incorporated the gameplay into their world generation engine (as in the engine was made to make stages somewhat intelligently with the idea of the player going through them and having fun). The rest sort of just haphazardly. There is just something that sandbox games have never been able to replicate is just the quality of a focused game. SURE a tightly focused game might not have as much replay value, ignoring that sandbox games often do it by stretching things out, but in the end you are only going to be mildly entertained by the sandbox for hundreds of hours, but extremely entertained by the focused games for about 4 or 8.

I guess what I mean is...

Sandbox games are sort of in the "early 3d" phase... where they are almost all dreadful but where the newness keeps people buying. Yet I suspect once quality sandboxes come out people will sort of wonder why anyone even played those earlier games... and honestly this second wave cannot come any sooner.

Or at least create a sense of quality in gamers that goes beyond "look at stuff". Like... do things...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68356 on: January 25, 2015, 06:09:35 am »

It's pretty much the reason why I can't play Minecraft without a billion mods. I love me a sandbox, but a sandbox is at its most fun when there's already stuff built there. And stuff that's build haphazardly or repetitively gets old pretty soon.
And if there's not a wide variety of stuff you can do... well, I can't be bothered with it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68357 on: January 25, 2015, 06:42:09 am »

I guess what I mean is...

Sandbox games are sort of in the "early 3d" phase... where they are almost all dreadful but where the newness keeps people buying. Yet I suspect once quality sandboxes come out people will sort of wonder why anyone even played those earlier games... and honestly this second wave cannot come any sooner.

Or at least create a sense of quality in gamers that goes beyond "look at stuff". Like... do things...
It's pretty much the reason why I can't play Minecraft without a billion mods. I love me a sandbox, but a sandbox is at its most fun when there's already stuff built there. And stuff that's build haphazardly or repetitively gets old pretty soon.
And if there's not a wide variety of stuff you can do... well, I can't be bothered with it.
One of my favorite part of sandboxes are a wide variety of mechanics and how they all tie in to each other. I too find vanilla Minecraft dull as dish water and do it modded or not at all because of my first sentence.

In minecraft my goals generally go in this order: survive, get better at surviving, build a structure, make a cool thing, and then do something ridiculous and fun. My favorite mods change this up because they add more mechanics or interactivity then food, armor, and building.

The draw to sandboxes is doing what you want but lazy or bad game designers don't realize that you need to provide a way for them to do what they want and you need to set limits/boundaries(not necessarily obvious ones) so the players know what their options are!
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68358 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:16 am »

Good sandboxes are ones that have some kind of initial set up that you can interact with in some way to cause later emergent complexity. Say, like the EU series of games, where forming the Scandinavian union and colonising the Americas from the North to give a way different later world than you would get if the Spaniards colonized it from the south. That is a whole different sandbox experience than "make it yourself".
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68359 on: January 25, 2015, 07:46:15 am »

The draw to sandboxes is doing what you want but lazy or bad game designers don't realize that you need to provide a way for them to do what they want and you need to set limits/boundaries(not necessarily obvious ones) so the players know what their options are!
In short: A sheet of paper and a pencil isn't a good sandbox game.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68360 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:32 am »

Speak for yourself :P

Though I guess it varies from person to person. Some people just have trouble making their own goals and limitations. Plus there's the infinite possibillities thingy that scares certain folks into not doing much out of fear of missing out on something else.

Heck, I know I need some goals and limitations myself, mostly because I tend to think too big and eventually get bored of the game because my vision is either taking too long or cannot be done at all within the gameworld.

A blank piece of paper on the other hand, that's a whole different game.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68361 on: January 25, 2015, 09:04:48 am »

I'm currently eating cake and popcorn at the same time while chugging down milk and watching a movie while berating my cat for getting fat.
This is a preferable existence.

relevant

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68362 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:38 am »

Uh...
UHH....

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #68363 on: January 25, 2015, 10:17:46 am »

Gravity's always worked upward, miauw.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68364 on: January 25, 2015, 10:25:35 am »

... wouldn't an ASCII tetris be best off using different letters for the different shapes?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68365 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:53 am »

I can use colors :V
(later)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68366 on: January 25, 2015, 11:22:23 am »

Oh yeah, my WTF for today.
I caught myself laughing to music. As in, I was listening to it and feelin pretty damn good, when I stopped for a sec and realized I was laughing out loud. It wasn't even a funny song, or one with lyrics even. I'm pretty sure it was a fast-paced violin or piano song.

Was it one that's seen use in comedies, like te Liberty Bell March, the Hungarian Dance, or Yakkity Sax, or Spanish Flea?
Not even. I think it was either this or this.

Nothing funny related to them at all, which is why it's so strange I was laughing. Just random happy laughter, I guess.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #68368 on: January 25, 2015, 03:57:16 pm »

You can now make Doom into a visual novel
Technically, you can make anything into a visual novel.
But I know what you mean.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #68369 on: January 25, 2015, 07:39:09 pm »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:03:04 am by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 4556 4557 [4558] 4559 4560 ... 11041