Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4545 4546 [4547] 4548 4549 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432170 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68190 on: January 23, 2015, 12:55:05 am »

Mm... I think I've caught the gist of it.
Good luck, and look for silver linings. If they're even there...
Meh.

I'll see if I can find any.

*Finishes counting down his time*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68191 on: January 23, 2015, 12:59:12 am »

I shouldn't do this, but here we go:

"...college-educated liberals..." "highly douchey enlightened leftists" "coastal liberals" - Please don't use labels like this. This helps no one, unless you really just want to piss people off by showing off an "us vs them" mentality.

"I'd frankly rather be around small-minded but well-intentioned conservatives- they're all over my extended family." Of course you would. They're your group.

"being widely knowledgeable and traveled is barely a virtue at all." To whom? You? You're not everyone, mate. I'd be pretty happy with both, but then, I don't share your virtues (which is not a bad thing.)

"To expand on this- most people, I've found, have more or less the same virtues," This is very much, and very obviously, not true. Many people value largely different things. That's why we argue over things, it's why we have vastly different personalities. To some people, Haute Couture is the greatest thing that ever happened to the world, and I'm personally not even sure what it really is. The basics are there for most of us, but some of us don't value family, friends, money, religion, job satisfaction, knowledge, sex, or what have you. Furthermore, we all weight things differently in our priorities as far as our values. Some people absolutely destroy their family lives to get ahead at work. Some people go into hermitage and eschew as much material goods as they can. In essence, what you're saying with this statement is, "You really believe this, you're just too dumb to see it." Don't do this. It doesn't help.

"My aunt is one of the kindest and good-hearted people I have ever met." Anecdotes, while nice, are irrelevant to anything ever. They are utterly meaningless to arguments.

"Are they really better people?" To us (me being one of them,) well...yes. Absolutely. That is, however, because I weight things differently than you do. Being closed minded and keeping to your group is not a virtue to me. It's one of the worst ways to live. Being happily ignorant of the way that we've proven the world works through rigorous testing in favor of a bronze age tradition is utterly infuriating because I don't value that tradition at all.

"Open-mindedness is...only somewhat important..." Again, to you, but not to a large portion of us. For some of us, open-mindedness is one of the greatest virtues there is.
Could you shoehorn any more buzzwords and blatant blindness to your own ideology into that, FJ? Look, I know you're a "good christian person", and I'm pretty sure that you want to mean well, but you're really not helping your cause from the other side. Insulting everyone that isn't you and yours and painting with a broad brush, then labeling yourself as willfully ignorant and happily closed minded is just going to close you off from people on the other side because you're stating, "I really don't give a fuck about you. You're not in my group, so I'm better than you."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68192 on: January 23, 2015, 01:07:32 am »

I just read a reddit comment that stated 5.56 is the best round for hunting because "It wounds instead of kills".... but that's only useful in situations where you can take 3 people out of the battle with a wounde-....

Oh shit, the animals have medics now! IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME UNTIL THEY UNDERSTAND FIREARMS! SHTF SITUATION HERE PEOPLE!

But no, seriously, what? 5.56 good for hunting? Who thinks this? Seriously, who?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68193 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:26 am »

um if you're hunting don't you want to kill as cleanly and efficiently as possible?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #68194 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:38 am »

The Yajuta may have access to Reddit.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #68195 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:53 am »

um if you're hunting don't you want to kill as cleanly and efficiently as possible?

Not if you're a sadist
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68196 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:12 am »

I just read a reddit comment that stated 5.56 is the best round for hunting because "It wounds instead of kills".... but that's only useful in situations where you can take 3 people out of the battle with a wounde-....

Oh shit, the animals have medics now! IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME UNTIL THEY UNDERSTAND FIREARMS! SHTF SITUATION HERE PEOPLE!

But no, seriously, what? 5.56 good for hunting? Who thinks this? Seriously, who?

It only wounds instead of killing if the hunter can't shoot for shit. Well, I suppose that's not necessarily true, it depends what you're hunting. In any case, chances are good that he doesn't know what he's talking about. If he means deer, practically nobody serious uses 5.56x45. and it is generally held to be a pretty poor choice for deer, especially at longer ranges. Small game, it'll do just fine no matter how far away as long as you can hit your target, but there are better choices there too IMO. At least around here, the overwhelming majority of people who hunt deer with rifles use either .30-06 or .30-30.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #68197 on: January 23, 2015, 02:33:17 am »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68199 on: January 23, 2015, 08:28:56 am »

It only wounds instead of killing if the hunter can't shoot for shit. Well, I suppose that's not necessarily true, it depends what you're hunting. In any case, chances are good that he doesn't know what he's talking about. If he means deer, practically nobody serious uses 5.56x45. and it is generally held to be a pretty poor choice for deer, especially at longer ranges. Small game, it'll do just fine no matter how far away as long as you can hit your target, but there are better choices there too IMO. At least around here, the overwhelming majority of people who hunt deer with rifles use either .30-06 or .30-30.

Here in Britain, 5.56/.223 is only legal to use against the two smallest of deer - red deer and chinese water deer, I think. Otherwise, it is considered too likely to cause undue suffering, and you need a larger calibre.

A good shot with a 5.56 will kill a deer. You don't want them injured, for any reason - not only does it cause them undue suffering, they then try to run off. And deer can run pretty damn quick.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #68200 on: January 23, 2015, 09:10:01 am »

MZ: Well, no, hear me out.

Social progress is an illusion. It's a theory that holds up well only if you've been a member of the Western world over the past two hundred years. There is nothing inevitable about it; not everything new that is heralded as progress is, and not everything that is swept away was bad.

Moral progress is doubly an illusion. Humans are humans; they are both good and evil by nature, and I think it is very unlikely that living in the 21st century in blue-state America has actually made many people intrinsically better; it's just widened their in-group, and in a way that has been vanishingly, exceptionally rare in the history of humanity.

Does acting as if everyone in humanity is in your in-group produce better results than acting as if only the people in your tiny political tribe count? Yes, it absolutely does, as you rightly point out. But the morality of a person's actions aren't about consequences. They're about intent, and your intent operates within your worldview.

Most people in America end up either as standard liberals- socially liberal, economically liberal- or the polar opposite, with a fair amount of mixing. Out of all the hundreds and hundreds of ideologies and worldviews that have been promulgated throughout human history, isn't it a bit suspicious that most people in a nation of 330 million people have wound up with one of two, or a mixture of the two? Americans navigate to become liberals or conservatives. By and large they do so because of factors beyond their control, and although many people with good critical thinking skills move from conservative to liberal- I'll readily admit this is the case- it's not universal. Is it really likely that a social worker from Boston is intrinsically a better person- and I'm talking intent, now, not consequences- than someone from small-town Kansas, when we know that by and large their worldviews are bigger than the people holding them? I mean, I really think that to postulate otherwise is to posit that your circumstances of birth are grounds for moral judgement, and moral judgment not only of your actions but of yourself as a person. That's a fairly illiberal position, isn't it?

Critical thinking of the sort that changes people's ideologies takes a lot of work. It takes good analytical skills, which not everyone starts out with, and access to lots and lots of information and analysis. This is made a bit easier if you have the Internet. If you're the average GOP voter- median age of 50- you didn't have that growing up, and the cognitive jump you have to make to catch up at your age, if you're not a journalist or someone else who's constantly interacting with other worldviews, is unimaginably high for someone in their 20s and 30s. As for high-school bigots, they're still living on worldviews borrowed from their parents, and high-schoolers are nasty anyways. Those with the wherewithal to get out of their situations are going to be just fine. Those who never do probably didn't have the gumption to do that sort of critical thinking anyways. There probably isn't much you can do about them, but not everyone without good critical thinking skills is a conservative.

(I recognize this is a very unpopular way of looking at the issue, so unless there are further cries for me to explain myself I'm going to bow out- and, as a side note, I'm probably permanently agnostic, although with religious sympathies. But I'll just ask this question to the bystanders: scientific denialism and bigotry are not the only issues that society has to deal with that come more from people's circumstances than themselves. Crime and family breakdown are in that category too. But a large number of people on this board- including myself on my good days- are in favor of washing away the punitive aspect of the justice system and making it entirely rehabilitative.

Why do we have pity on someone who gets arrested for buying meth with stolen money, but rail against hicks who think the President was born in Kenya and wants to turn their children gay? The differences are much, much smaller than they look.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:28:02 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #68201 on: January 23, 2015, 09:51:47 am »

Most people have no idea what firearms really are and they understand far less about ammunition. A single shot from ANY live bullet can kill if it hits in the right (or depending on how you look at it, wrong) place. I know it's cliche but that's kinda the point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath

Well Said Jesuit. I don't agree with WHAT you said, but I can respect HOW you said it.

This wouldn't be a situation with a job servicing the public with the "smile and nod while imagining strangling the customer" situation. I don't like it, but I can actually respect it and the person saying it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:55:37 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68202 on: January 23, 2015, 10:13:53 am »

I'm in the same boat as Truean. I understand your position on an intellectual level, but it makes no sense to me on an emotional and appeal level.

I'm not claiming that we've made any intrinsic gains in morality, but culturally and legally, we've made huge gains in the past 200 years, especially in the industrialized world. Slavery has largely been legally abolished, and even though it still exists underground, it's no longer seen as a moral part of society, or normal in any sense. We're no longer burning people alive because some kids were pissed off at them and accused them of being witches. We're no longer pushing people off their homelands via wholesale slaughter and calling ourselves the good guys. We don't take prisoners of war for use as slaves. People who used to be utterly demonized are finally being recognized as equal under the law, and we can look back less than 100 years and shake our heads at how stupid we were for treating people who wanted to join us so awfully, notably the Irish, Italians and Chinese, who are essentially no longer marginalized at all. It's no longer legally permissible to disenfranchise people based on stupid things like skin color, and increasingly, who they love.

If you really think we've made no progress morally, if you really think that social morals were just as good in the 1700s as they are now, then we have such vastly different moral compasses and concepts of morality that I will never be able to truly comprehend the way you think. That said, I'm with Voltaire: I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Note: this was a lot of work to type on my phone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #68203 on: January 23, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »

I was in physics today, studying the inverse square law in regards to gamma emission. To demonstrate, we did the experiment.

"Ok," I thought, "the teacher is going to set-up and do the experiment, because we aren't allowed to handle radioactive isotopes, health and safety, blah, blah, blah."
Teacher: "Ok, I want you to do the experiment. We trust you enough to handle the samples."

Wait, us A2 students are allowed access to the school's radioactive isotopes (for supervised experiments)?
Ok, the samples are pretty old, and it was an isotope (somethingAmericium) with a relatively low decay rate, but still...

Before you ask, yes I already knew that we have these samples in the school. They're kept in a closet with a large trefoil on the door. Our teacher got them out a year ago to demonstrate both radioactivity and the electromagnetic deflection of charged particles at the same time.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68204 on: January 23, 2015, 12:15:08 pm »

Probably not all that dangerous of an isotope maybe?

In biotech (slightly off topic) we used a small amount of carcinogen/mutagen it was only a drop added to the gel for electrophoresis of something to make the results more prominent or something but the stuff was very very very dangerous, but still only used one drop... fun times fun times
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 4545 4546 [4547] 4548 4549 ... 11039