Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4452 4453 [4454] 4455 4456 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14484161 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #66795 on: January 05, 2015, 10:30:42 pm »

Am I the only one here who went to a halfway decent high school?
My public high school education went remarkably well, despite some rural-esque budget/faculty stuff, most of which I wouldn't have known about if my parents hadn't of been teachers working in the district. (Though apparently at least some of that was the fact that we had a huge number of teacher's kids near my grade apparently, which helped smooth things over a ton. Something like 10% of my graduating class [including the entire top 5%] was teacher's kids. :P)

If it's what I think it is, it's Accelerated Placement. Basically it's a harder-than-standard class for the grade level that either gives you more points on your GPA or college credits, depending on school, grade, and school system.
Not quite. "Advanced Placement" classes are a USA college board thing that basically lets you get college credit while still in high school. Basically you take a harder class, then pay like $50 to take a very hard exam at the end. If you do well enough on the exam then you get college credit in the majority of US colleges (barring exceptions like Ivy league schools and so forth).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66796 on: January 05, 2015, 10:34:08 pm »

My high school experience was a mixed bag. In the sense that it was a mixture of grappling with crippling emotional issues from junior high, being disappointed by AP classes, and being moderately less disappointed by IB classes, watching/hearing about the security guys tazering special needs kids for no reason, blowing things up in chem lab, marveling at the fact that there were people even more socially incompetent than me, marveling that that pedophile maths teacher wasn't in prison yet (it didn't happen until two years after I graduated), marveling that a tenured history professor from a local university taught classes at the school just for the sake of driving teenagers insane, and feeling the last traces of my empathy and love shift target from cynical misanthropy to a much more comfortable moral-hedonistic apathy.

So basically normal high school experience. Though it was an exciting melting pot of local lower-middle/working class, car'd-in-from-rich-suburbs, bussed-in-from-black-neighborhoods, flown in from overseas exchange students and immigrants, &c. in what was probably the best academic environment in the city... which still had students who complained about 'only' having six months to write a ten page paper.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:36:00 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #66797 on: January 05, 2015, 10:40:56 pm »

O_o My highschool experience was... pretty peaceful? Save for gymclass freshman year, but afterwards things were fine. Stayed out of ridiculous social politics, got along well with my teachers, was taking all AP classes by Senior year and everyone I knew had something nerdy about them, even when something big like a fight occurred I would always wind up either showing up a few seconds after everything ended, or miss it completely and learn about it afterwards. Probably helped that my teenage rebellious phase expressed itself via rebelling against the culture of teenage rebellion.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:43:20 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66798 on: January 05, 2015, 10:41:49 pm »

My public high school education went remarkably well, despite some rural-esque budget/faculty stuff, most of which I wouldn't have known about if my parents hadn't of been teachers working in the district. (Though apparently at least some of that was the fact that we had a huge number of teacher's kids near my grade apparently, which helped smooth things over a ton. Something like 10% of my graduating class [including the entire top 5%] was teacher's kids. :P)

If it's what I think it is, it's Accelerated Placement. Basically it's a harder-than-standard class for the grade level that either gives you more points on your GPA or college credits, depending on school, grade, and school system.
Not quite. "Advanced Placement" classes are a USA college board thing that basically lets you get college credit while still in high school. Basically you take a harder class, then pay like $50 to take a very hard exam at the end. If you do well enough on the exam then you get college credit in the majority of US colleges (barring exceptions like Ivy league schools and so forth).
Well, I've always wondered.  Is it Hard or 'Hard' by American standards?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #66799 on: January 05, 2015, 10:46:22 pm »

I was never even offered AP classes... Up until Year 10 I was massively, massively ahead of almost everyone else... Now I've been caught up to. Yay lack of catering to individual student abilities, I guess?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66800 on: January 05, 2015, 10:50:08 pm »

Well, I've always wondered.  Is it Hard or 'Hard' by American standards?

AP is mostly rote memorization. Hence, it depends on the quality of your instructor. I had AP Calc (thankfully the only AP class I took; the rest were IB, which at least steps slightly in the direction of critical thinking) with a guy who had no idea what he was doing; something like a third of the classes were literally taught by one of the students because she understood and explained the material better than he did. None of the class except her got higher than a 1 on the AP exam.

Let me jerk off IB a bit here. By way of comparison, my IB classes were two-year deals from the start of junior year to graduation. History had a long-term research paper with something like a 30 page requirement on it. English was a multipart affair; junior year we had to research for, prepare, and deliver a fifteen minute talk on an aspect of one of the works we'd covered. Senior year we had a paper and an end of term oral exam, where we were given a passage in an envelope and twenty minutes to prepare notes and thoughts for a thirty minute talk on the passage to our instructor and a tape recorder.

So I've got more than a little disdain for AP,  but that's probably more to do with my own experiences than anything else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66801 on: January 05, 2015, 10:52:56 pm »

My horsepower going up stairs was 2.05 :D  Yea, Im like two studs in one
I think 1HP is something only really able to be done by one and a half horses, so you are closer to being three studs.  :P
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66802 on: January 05, 2015, 10:53:34 pm »

I was never even offered AP classes... Up until Year 10 I was massively, massively ahead of almost everyone else... Now I've been caught up to. Yay lack of catering to individual student abilities, I guess?
Not a huge deal.  The class was equivalent to 101/102, I think.  Not all schools would offer it due to lack of funding or demand.  But since I'm kinda here; I got a 5 on all of the ones I took and I got in the 98th percentile for bio SATII

You should go look up practice questions and compare yourself.  Collegeboard.org should have some.

WTF:
  Im currently searching for primate genitalia size per body size, and thats going about as well as expected.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66803 on: January 05, 2015, 10:53:56 pm »

My school is actually pretty good.  My only real complaint is the inability to test out of clasess, and a bunch of new regulation pushed through in the past year at either the state or district level.  The gist of all of it is that if you are a senior who has early dismissal or late arrival, you are fucked if you are in the school during school hours unless you are in one of your assigned classes.  Staying to do extracurricular activities?  Staying to make up a test?  Staying to help out teacher with other classes?  All your privileges are revokes, you get study hall for the rest of your class periods, and you aren't allowed to participate in any activities.  All for our safety, of course. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66804 on: January 05, 2015, 11:02:55 pm »

OH HEY GAIS THE DFFD SITE IS HAVING ISSUES >.>

>.>  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147183.0;topicseen

Note:  I read this this morning, when there was a banner on it.  That has changed and I am unsure of the status.
PKs DF Mod!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #66805 on: January 05, 2015, 11:26:40 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:09:16 am by penguinofhonor »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66806 on: January 06, 2015, 12:58:43 am »

my highschool is great. get to goof off all day!

:P

* Iceblaster goes back to being that homeschooled kid in the corner

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66807 on: January 06, 2015, 01:03:55 am »

my highschool is great. get to goof off all day!

:P

* Iceblaster goes back to being that homeschooled kid in the corner

Are...
 are you me?    :o
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66808 on: January 06, 2015, 01:07:20 am »

Quote from: imagine-loki.tumblr.com
Imagine a very amorous young Jotun Loki being so utterly in love with you that he writes and sends love letters to you everyday about how much he adores you and how he wishes he could lay kisses upon you until his lips bleed. The only thing keeping him from ever touching you is that he fears you’ll be taken from him by his father because he is just a runt prince. You however, want nothing more than hold your loving Jotun prince in your arms despite what harm could come to you. Loki ends up asking you to marry him, soon becoming a Princess of Jotunheim with him (after Laufey begrudgingly agreed to marry you both) as your husband.
UH EXCUSE ME BUT LAUFEY KING OF JOTUNHEIM DISCARDED LOKI AS A WEAKLING AS IS THE CULTURAL RIGHT OF ALL FROST GIANTS HE WOULD HAVE NEVER KEPT HIM ALIVE AS A LEGITIMATE HEIR AND CERTAINLY NOT ALLOWED ANY KIND OF UNION THAT ISN'T FROST GIANTS

NON.

CANON.

Oh god, I've got to go do something with my life before my posting impulses get any worse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66809 on: January 06, 2015, 01:10:25 am »

Its because people now think of Loki as, well, that actor guy whos name I cant think of instead of, well,
Spoiler: This guy. (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 4452 4453 [4454] 4455 4456 ... 11037