Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4181 4182 [4183] 4184 4185 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14431957 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #62730 on: November 10, 2014, 07:21:26 am »

To install updates, you must first install an update for Windows Update.
Dammit, Windows.
To update windows update YOU MUST FIRST INSTALL AN UPDATE FOR WINDOWS UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #62731 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:35 am »

Today I was humming to a song on a store overhead, and a friend pointed out I was completely off both key and rhythm. Then I realized I was humming the almost silent bassline of the song.

I think I need to start listening to some lighter music than my usual bass-heavy ones. Any recommendations?

What kind?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62732 on: November 10, 2014, 08:59:40 am »

Spoilers: He couldn't.

It was like reading a train wreck while it happened.

Or something.

Either way, it was hilarious.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #62733 on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:54 am »

What kind?
Any kind that leaves me humming melodies. I prefer (non-screaming) Punk and the various genres of Electro (Techno, Trance, House, etc.), and in general complex tunes that daze me or pump me up, but those are rarely hummable. The exact genre and band don't really matter if it's good enough, though.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #62734 on: November 10, 2014, 10:29:43 am »

I discovered my Roblox profile in a fit of sleep deprivation. As in right noooow.

pm rps

halo rps

halo story

so many commas

the horrors

WITNESS, MORTAL, AND DESPAIR

I actually think some of the lego stuff I built was cool, but jesus did I not understand how to talk

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62735 on: November 10, 2014, 10:35:02 am »

I'm feeling a sudden urge to play CoD: Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME?
Your brain's been contaminated. I need to kill you now.

Everyone look away.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62736 on: November 10, 2014, 10:35:21 am »

I have come to the conclusion that my entire history class has been a ruse to make me say things like, "Hitler literally did nothing wrong." which is, though strange, kind of hilarious. I say this because that is pretty much exactly what this assignment is, kind of?
Write a 500 word answer to this question: The Nazis claimed to believe that exterminating certain peoples was morally justifiable. From the perspective of a cultural (ethical) relativist). would it be immoral to invade Nazi Germany to prevent that extermination? Why? (Palmer)
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62737 on: November 10, 2014, 10:42:18 am »

Wat.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #62738 on: November 10, 2014, 10:45:06 am »

Is your teacher a nazi sympathizer?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #62739 on: November 10, 2014, 10:45:17 am »

My history class had me do a fake interview with Mengele :V

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62740 on: November 10, 2014, 10:46:46 am »

I have come to the conclusion that my entire history class has been a ruse to make me say things like, "Hitler literally did nothing wrong." which is, though strange, kind of hilarious. I say this because that is pretty much exactly what this assignment is, kind of?
Write a 500 word answer to this question: The Nazis claimed to believe that exterminating certain peoples was morally justifiable. From the perspective of a cultural (ethical) relativist). would it be immoral to invade Nazi Germany to prevent that extermination? Why? (Palmer)
Answer's no, because according to our ethic their crimes had to be prevented. Case closed.

Moral relativism is dumb. Wanting a five hundred word version of that four word sentence is even worse.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #62741 on: November 10, 2014, 10:47:39 am »

I'd take an entirely different approach. I'd make it a point to show the contradiction in the cultural relativism's argument if he were to favor one culture over another, especially when said culture was exterminating others. Also point out the danger of Godwin's Law.

Perhaps point out some of the bad arguments and then destroy them with the above. Find view, find contradiction in view, apply. Then of course point out that an invasion is not necessarily an extermination in the case of the allies going against the axis, whereas what they were doing was....

This is actually the type of question that is dangerous on its own without guidance and the crazier among us could take literally and go off the deep end. I have taught my students to examine views of incredibly unpopular leaders and their methods, then to see if they have any bad points and what those bad points are. Also there may be some good methods hidden in a given bad leader's ideas. In the case of the Nazis, all I've been able to come up with is good tasting strudel and good rocket scientists like Von Braun (who we poached after the war), otherwise meh, not so good as an understatement....

Its about identifying and decoding bullshit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:51:51 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62742 on: November 10, 2014, 11:34:29 am »

Answer's no, because according to our ethic their crimes had to be prevented. Case closed.

Moral relativism is dumb. Wanting a five hundred word version of that four word sentence is even worse.
Admittedly, it's a nice little trap for the ones clever enough to suspect the "obvious" answer of 'no' is a trap but not clever enough to read the class materials or pay attention.

What kind?
Any kind that leaves me humming melodies. I prefer (non-screaming) Punk and the various genres of Electro (Techno, Trance, House, etc.), and in general complex tunes that daze me or pump me up, but those are rarely hummable. The exact genre and band don't really matter if it's good enough, though.
Dead Kennedys, The Clash (fair warning, everything past their first album becomes increasingly pop-rocky), The Sex Pistols (NSFW warning right here, because this is never the song you expect when someone mentions them), Black Flag, The Cramps, Death (really awesome sound, cutting edge proto-punk from the mid '70s), X-Ray Spex. There's a quick and dirty list of examples off the top of my head, hopefully I hit something you've not heard that catches your ear.  :)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #62743 on: November 10, 2014, 12:32:58 pm »

Reading in my textbook for geometric algorithms and I need to take a bloody break. I'm reading the proof to a lemma that is used in an algorithm and I can not tell if it a mathematical proof or if a cat sat on the authors keyboard.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62744 on: November 10, 2014, 01:09:59 pm »

Admittedly, it's a nice little trap for the ones clever enough to suspect the "obvious" answer of 'no' is a trap but not clever enough to read the class materials or pay attention.
A trap?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 4181 4182 [4183] 4184 4185 ... 11039