Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3973 3974 [3975] 3976 3977 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14419520 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #59610 on: September 30, 2014, 08:36:52 pm »

The obvious solution is omnicide. With no more life or matter or energy, Science has up to 13% less people involved in the process this way.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59611 on: September 30, 2014, 08:39:04 pm »

The obvious solution is omnicide. With no more life or matter or energy, Science has up to 13% less people involved in the process this way.

Law of conservation: Matter cannot be created or destroyed.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #59612 on: September 30, 2014, 08:39:43 pm »

The inherent flaw with science is ultimately that it needs to be filtered through people.
I will make the statement that, while I'm not sure if you're trying to advocate religion or what, that religion has also been filtered through people.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59613 on: September 30, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »

Then why do we have any to start with? That always sort of puzzled me. I suppose I'll have to settle for Biocide then, which is very much more possible and mostly achieves the same result, albeit more temporarily.

EDIT
The inherent flaw with science is ultimately that it needs to be filtered through people.
I will make the statement that, while I'm not sure if you're trying to advocate religion or what, that religion has also been filtered through people.

I'm sorry to say this, but MANY things have been filtered through people. Mostly oxygen. And not all religion is filtered through people, just the ones that exist are.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:42:44 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59614 on: September 30, 2014, 08:42:16 pm »

Ohhh >_> I wasn't actually talking about religion. Nor was I suggesting they are in equal or even similar terms. Heck I don't even think they are related.

Religion is an entirely different beast that is best left... not here. It is too diverse in goal and intent and is politically charged.

Science at least has understood parameters, requirements, and goals that can be spoken of in objective terms without too much political maneuvering.

Or rather... I am only speaking of science. Religion is something else and I will NOT get into the dumb of "science versus religion".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:51:06 pm by Neonivek »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #59615 on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:49 pm »

Ohhh >_> I wasn't actually talking about religion. Nor was I suggesting they are in equal or even similar terms. Heck I don't even think they are related.

Religion is an entirely different beast that is best left... not here.

Science at least has understood parameters, requirements, and goals that can be spoken of in objective terms without too much political maneuvering.

Or rather... I am only speaking of science. Religion is something else and I will NOT get into the dumb of "science versus religion".
Oh, OK. I noticed that that had been the topic a few pages back, so I retreated to tvtropes until it died down a little bit.

In any case, I'm sick of people touting bullshit as science as well, so I feel you on those grounds.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59616 on: September 30, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »

Then why do we have any to start with? That always sort of puzzled me. I suppose I'll have to settle for Biocide then, which is very much more possible and mostly achieves the same result, albeit more temporarily.

We have any to start with because, as far as we can tell, it started with it all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59617 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:41 pm »

We have any to start with because, as far as we can tell, it started with it all.

Science ACTUALLY has a word for that: Because Axiom

Another possible reason is spontaneous generation... which is... 0 = 0... which is the equivilant of -2 + 2 = 0
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:04:19 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #59618 on: September 30, 2014, 09:05:51 pm »

Yes, it can. The entire nuclear power industry relies on converting matter into energy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #59619 on: September 30, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »

Surely we could get rid of the matter by converting energy into antimatter and spewing it all over the place? Now, it'd get tricky at the end, when you have to batch exactly enough antimatter to annihilate the generator before getting started on that, and you only get one shot at it, but those are matters for the engineers.

I mean yeah you wind up with energy but at least the matter is gone. Maybe we could pipe the energy into a black h- DAMMIT
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59620 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:09 pm »

Yes, it can. The entire nuclear power industry relies on converting matter into energy.

Well.... not exactly...

In the sense that nuclear energy doesn't turn protons, electrons, and neutrons into energy directly but rather uses them to heat water which powers turbines.

It is using the energy released from fusion to heat water. Yet electrons, Neutrons, and Protons are matter and that is what is being released from nuclear material.

This essentially means that nuclear energy doesn't convert matter into energy.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #59621 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:21 pm »

Spontaneous generation is only in regards to organisms, and was officially disproven about 100 years ago.

It basically said that air caused maggots, corn kernels caused mice, and a bunch of other fairly obviously-wrong-to-us stuff

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59622 on: September 30, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »

Science ACTUALLY has a word for that: Because Axiom

Another possible reason is spontaneous generation... which is... 0 = 0... which is the equivilant of -2 + 2 = 0

So quantum tunnelingish stuff on a universal scale? I'm talking about quantum tunneling as in the spontaneous manifestation of a paired election and proton which usually then annihilate each other instantly. Not sure if that's the proper term.

Converted, not destroyed. Energy is just Matter, but diagonal. Or maybe the other way around.
Spooky Signature

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59623 on: September 30, 2014, 09:10:45 pm »

Matter is just really, really, really condensed energy though, so it's okay.

Anyway, iirc nuclear energy is like, there's a binding energy for uranium, and a binding energy for whatever it splits into (as well as hydrogen and helium, when you're dealing with fusion) and they don't equal the same amount? So the energy released is the difference between the two binding energies.

Or something like that. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #59624 on: September 30, 2014, 09:12:04 pm »

Well.... not exactly...
In the sense that nuclear energy doesn't turn protons, electrons, and neutrons into energy directly but rather uses them to heat water which powers turbines.
It is using the energy released from fusion to heat water. Yet electrons, Neutrons, and Protons are matter and that is what is being released from nuclear material.
This essentially means that nuclear energy doesn't convert matter into energy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_binding_energy#Mass_defect
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 3973 3974 [3975] 3976 3977 ... 11038