Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3971 3972 [3973] 3974 3975 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14419498 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #59580 on: September 30, 2014, 07:59:06 pm »

Seriously, guys, science is trusted because shit works. If it didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation on our magic typing boxes that use scientific-jargon like transistors and satellites to communicate. Besides, if you have proof another way, set it up for peer review and win a noble fucking prize.

Yeah science CAN be trusted... Hey Science, remember when you said women were dumber then men and this was considered scientific fact?

It is almost like... just like everything else you actually can't believe everything science tells you.

That's false equivalence; that's a different branch of science entirely, and putting it all under one umbrella is disingenuous. Not only that, but you are wronger than wrong in saying that.

@Putnam
Alright, fair enough, I retract my original complaint. Still, though, how many people do you know who check to see how the science they're believing to be true was done?

If you can't trust hundreds of people with different agendas who are from different political, social and economic backgrounds independently getting the same result with the same experiment under the same conditions, I'm not sure what I can say. Also, the word "believing" is wrong here. There is no belief in science, only confidence.

Seriously, guys, science is trusted because shit works. If it didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation on our magic typing boxes that use scientific-jargon like transistors and satellites to communicate. Besides, if you have proof another way, set it up for peer review and win a noble fucking prize.

Yeah science CAN be trusted... Hey Science, remember when you said women were dumber then men and this was considered scientific fact?
And now we've moved away from "hard science" into things that were never really tenable in the first place. Also, you're being a pedantic asshole, and need to quit.

It was a hard science...

MIND YOU science itself is just a process. Everything else is just categorization.

We just lump the scientific process and everything we learn through it, into the same pile.

1. It wasn't and still isn't.
2. Science is also a body of what we know. The method is a process.
3. No we do not.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59581 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:21 pm »

Alright, Neo, you're a respectable dude and I know that you're reasonably intelligent, but you're going on mute for a while. I know that you're better than this, and this whole conversation is a dogpile of stupidity that I never should have gotten involved with, and I'm staying out of it until I can cool my heels.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59582 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »

Yes, because pure logic is useless because humans are idiots. The entire point of modern science is to avoid relying on human experience for anything, instead relying on observations.

Saying that science is somehow a form of faith while working on a computer that wouldn't work if we didn't know what we do about quantum mechanics is something I cannot comprehend.

Wait, what does quantum mechanics have to do with computers? A quick google search[Far from conclusive] implies that the main intersection of the two fields is quantum computers. Does this mean you're typing on a quantum computer? And if you do have one, what kind of FPS do you get in DF?

^Please don't take this as an insult or anything offensive. This is satire mixed with curiousity.

@Other people

Maybe we should chill a tad.

@Flabort

I'm not judging you.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59583 on: September 30, 2014, 08:03:10 pm »

ABANDON DISCUSSION! ABANDON DISCUSSIONNNNNNNN
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59584 on: September 30, 2014, 08:03:23 pm »

The whole science/religion thing is a very inflammatory subject, and we've all gone rounds and rounds on it, and it ultimately gets us nowhere because some people aren't willing to re-evaluate their stance if they're shown to be wrong, and just keep trolling at it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #59585 on: September 30, 2014, 08:04:17 pm »

MZ, that kind of comment (the "that's stupid" kind, not the muting bit) is kind of flamebaity, just saying.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59586 on: September 30, 2014, 08:05:15 pm »

Sorry guys.  :-[
Didn't mean to start an argument.

Not your fault :)

Things just have a way of snowballing sometimes.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #59587 on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »

GUYS WHAT IF,

NOW HEAR ME OUT

WHAT IF..

HOLD UP, NOW

WHAT IF EVERYTHING WAS A LIE

LIKE GRAVITY DIDNT EXIST AMD WAS JUST AN INPUT SETTING ON WORLDGEN?

WHAT IF WE WERE THE DWARF FORTRESS?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59588 on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:42 pm »

Yes, because pure logic is useless because humans are idiots. The entire point of modern science is to avoid relying on human experience for anything, instead relying on observations.

Saying that science is somehow a form of faith while working on a computer that wouldn't work if we didn't know what we do about quantum mechanics is something I cannot comprehend.

Wait, what does quantum mechanics have to do with computers? A quick google search[Far from conclusive] implies that the main intersection of the two fields is quantum computers. Does this mean you're typing on a quantum computer? And if you do have one, what kind of FPS do you get in DF?

^Please don't take this as an insult or anything offensive. This is satire mixed with curiousity.

Quantum computers are computers that exploit quantum mechanics, not ones that have to take it into account.

Computer components are really, really small. Modern computers have pieces small enough that we have to work around quantum mechanics, even if only a little bit. At current rates, we may get to the point where quantum tunneling (electrons popping up where they shouldn't be able to) might become a problem, at which point I guess we'll just have to do something else.

Sorry guys.  :-[
Didn't mean to start an argument.

Not your fault :)

Things just have a way of snowballing sometimes.

Starting isn't the problem, it's the continuing that causes it, so I have far more reason to apologize.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59589 on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »

MZ, that kind of comment (the "that's stupid" kind, not the muting bit) is kind of flamebaity, just saying.
Don't really know what you want from me, here. I'm a competitive person who calls things as they see it, and I'm not exactly sorry for being that way. The whole argument is damn stupid and we all know better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59590 on: September 30, 2014, 08:07:07 pm »

The whole science/religion thing is a very inflammatory subject, and we've all gone rounds and rounds on it, and it ultimately gets us nowhere because some people aren't willing to re-evaluate their stance if they're shown to be wrong, and just keep trolling at it.

I don't know, my beef has nothing to do with religion but rather the sheer number of times science is used as an excuse because the person listening to said claims cannot do a little leg work.

If I get another false statistic gained through improper bending of statistics or one more medical journal of a disease that doesn't exist...

Science deserves no glorified pedestal. Which is really why I take the time to take it down a peg, especially anytime someone tries to elevate it to some sort of "beyond reproach" level. It goes against everything I learned in science.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:09:27 pm by Neonivek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59591 on: September 30, 2014, 08:07:58 pm »

GUYS WHAT IF,

NOW HEAR ME OUT

WHAT IF..

HOLD UP, NOW

Or, what if you are all just the product of my dream nightmare.  I'm going to wake up any day, grasp my blanket with my fourth tentacle, and discharge a puff of relief from my orifacehole and thank Blarg I'm not some pinky human.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #59592 on: September 30, 2014, 08:08:53 pm »

@Caroline and smjjames

I don't think it's a proper argument until we've reached a number of personal insults equal to the number of posts divided by the number of participants, or any other applicable equation.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59593 on: September 30, 2014, 08:09:16 pm »

GUYS WHAT IF,

NOW HEAR ME OUT

WHAT IF..

HOLD UP, NOW

Or, what if you are all just the product of my dream nightmare.  I'm going to wake up any day, grasp my blanket with my fourth tentacle, and discharge a puff of relief from my orifacehole and thank Blarg I'm not some pinky human.
Welcome to nihilism, which we all organically discovered at the age of 11 or so. Can we get back up to adult speed, please? :P

Oh noes, what if I'm really in the Matrix and nothing is real? What if I'm a brain in a jar in space being fed imagery and sensations?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59594 on: September 30, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

Well the interesting thing about gravity is that its known existence (as in referring to gravity as a thing) is actually quite old...

But the causes of it are different.

For example Aristotle believed that gravity was a quality of the object itself, that because of its nature it MUST fall unless interrupted.

Mind you this was mostly back when the sciences were contained within the philosophies. Interesting to note is that Freud for example didn't invent psychology SO TO SPEAK but rather he is one of the first people to bring psychology outside of philosophy and turned it into a science, there were actually others in his field at the time who did the same but they worked in different areas (for example one guy, whose name escapes me, did scientific research on human reaction time... mostly to see how fast the human mind can process information).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:13:16 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 3971 3972 [3973] 3974 3975 ... 11038