Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3970 3971 [3972] 3973 3974 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14419584 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #59565 on: September 30, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »

... what?

electromagnets?

dude what
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59566 on: September 30, 2014, 07:47:03 pm »

... what?

Sorry... Electron microscope.

Word substitution sorry.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59567 on: September 30, 2014, 07:47:23 pm »

Since no matter what happens, you have to just accept what someone is telling you for no reason.

Science is defined by individual verifiability. If you have to "accept what someone is telling you for no reason", then what you're talking about isn't science.

That sir, is a subjective experience.  You would have to get the wavelengths together and prove that we were all seeing what is popularly accepted as blue.

That's actually another important part of science. We have instruments that can very accurately and objectively detect things that humans do not have sensory organs for, such as wavelengths of light that we cannot see.

Really? you have an electromagnet in your back yard AND can prove that electromagnets are viable sources of information based off of science YOU done?

Electron microscopes don't have an agenda, so I don't see why you wouldn't trust them.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59568 on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:08 pm »

... what?

Sorry... Electron microscope.

Word substitution sorry.
Neo confimed for mormon ninja.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #59569 on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:32 pm »

@Neonivek
that's kind of the point, you're just taking someone else's word for the fact the gravity on Mars is less than that on earth or whatever.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59570 on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:36 pm »

Ahhh all the reasons I get irksome whenever someone says science is just logic.

Since no matter what happens, you have to just accept what someone is telling you for no reason.
Except with science, you can actually go out and do tests if you don't believe what someone is telling you. C'mon, man. If I tell you that the sky is blue, and you don't believe me, you go look at the sky.

Really? you have an electromagnet in your back yard AND can prove that electromagnets are viable sources of information based off of science YOU done?

Not all science is Math where eventually you learn to PROVE IT... A lot of science is about skipping over the process of learning.
So, you're saying that we can't prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt therefore goddidit is reasonable. C'mon, you're better than that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59571 on: September 30, 2014, 07:50:31 pm »

@Neonivek
that's kind of the point, you're just taking someone else's word for the fact the gravity on Mars is less than that on earth or whatever.

Oh my god, no we're not. It's completely unreasonable to say that they just faked the data gathered while landing on Mars, which happens to include that. You're not trusting "someone else's word", you're trusting accelerometers. I have no idea where people get the idea that science is some branch of philosophy where any thinking is done, because there hasn't been a single discovery brought along by mere thought in actual science for over 500 years.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #59572 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:07 pm »

@neo, of course you don't have an electron microscope in your back yard (probably), but yes, you can go get one and before deciding to use or not use it as a viable source of information go back and test everything that was tested before other people did. It'll take a few years/decades and probably many thousand dollars, but it's possible.

@tahu, nah, the big deal about it is the folks saying stuff about gravity on mars are also going, "This is how we found out." And you're welcome to repeat the process and see if the same thing happens.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59573 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:34 pm »

@neo, of course you don't have an electron microscope in your back yard (probably), but yes, you can go get one and before deciding to use or not use it as a viable source of information go back and test everything that was tested before other people did. It'll take a few years/decades and probably many thousand dollars, but it's possible.

So there you go. it isn't pure logic.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59574 on: September 30, 2014, 07:53:48 pm »

Seriously, guys, science is trusted because shit works. If it didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation on our magic typing boxes that use scientific-jargon like transistors and satellites to communicate. Besides, if you have proof another way, set it up for peer review and win a Nobel-fucking-Prize.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59575 on: September 30, 2014, 07:54:14 pm »

Yes, because pure logic is useless because humans are idiots. The entire point of modern science is to avoid relying on human experience for anything, instead relying on observations.

Saying that science is somehow a form of faith while working on a computer that wouldn't work if we didn't know what we do about quantum mechanics is something I cannot comprehend.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59576 on: September 30, 2014, 07:55:04 pm »

Seriously, guys, science is trusted because shit works. If it didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation on our magic typing boxes that use scientific-jargon like transistors and satellites to communicate. Besides, if you have proof another way, set it up for peer review and win a noble fucking prize.

Yeah science CAN be trusted... Hey Science, remember when you said women were dumber then men and this was considered scientific fact substantiated by many leaders in your field?

It is almost like... just like everything else you actually can't believe everything science tells you and when you do... it isn't just because of pure logic.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59577 on: September 30, 2014, 07:55:55 pm »

Seriously, guys, science is trusted because shit works. If it didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation on our magic typing boxes that use scientific-jargon like transistors and satellites to communicate. Besides, if you have proof another way, set it up for peer review and win a noble fucking prize.

Yeah science CAN be trusted... Hey Science, remember when you said women were dumber then men and this was considered scientific fact?
And now we've moved away from "hard science" into things that were never really tenable in the first place. Also, you're being a pedantic asshole, and need to quit.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #59578 on: September 30, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »

@Putnam
Alright, fair enough, I retract my original complaint. Still, though, how many people do you know who check to see how the science they're believing to be true was done?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59579 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:14 pm »

Yeah science CAN be trusted... Hey Science, remember when you said women were dumber then men and this was considered scientific fact?
And now we've moved away from "hard science" into things that were never really tenable in the first place. Also, you're being a pedantic asshole, and need to quit.

It was a hard science...

MIND YOU science itself is just a process. Everything else is just categorization.

We just lump the scientific process and everything we learn through it, into the same pile.
Pages: 1 ... 3970 3971 [3972] 3973 3974 ... 11038