Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3910 3911 [3912] 3913 3914 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14423062 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #58665 on: September 20, 2014, 01:55:13 pm »

Meh. I don't know about that. Instant draft and positioning being more pinpoint helped, you know, when the military wasn't all fighting over 1 or two boots. But I wouldn't exchange the current military for the old any day.  Too much flexibility in equipment, patrols, scheduling.. If I didn't have the ability to equip my militia captains with ceremonial junk on top of their perfectly-matching and dyed outfit I don't know what I'd do with myself. That's the divergence of opinion on micromanagement of the military though, I absolutely yearned for it.

Yeah I mean... who wants "Yeah, you guys are part of a unit, I want you to patrol here.... and then I guess I'll let you guys take a break to train later... Ohh yeah and uhh, you get these weapons done... Wait what are you doing now? UGH!"

When you can have "Ok, you guys are in the military, let me assign all your individual roles, ok and now your trainers, and now your leader, and now your patrol route, how logn the route lasts, how long your break is and when you have breaks, now when you have freetime and how long it is, What? Ohh yeah I need to state your type of training too... Ok... Now it isn't working... why? Well let me get out my flowchart and try to see what I did wrong here... OHHH I see, I need to go through THREE menus to actually select training AND I need to assign the training hall... Wait what are you doing now? UUUUUUGH!"

I'll tell you this... since the new military I have never played fortress mode and found it completely unplayable since.

Then again because of impassible rivers and boogeymen... I've found Adventure mode unplayable since UNLESS I turn them off (which I do, unless I forget)... because DANG is it unfun to play with companions.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:57:13 pm by Neonivek »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58666 on: September 20, 2014, 01:56:27 pm »

are we complaining about menus in slaves to menus: god of menus: second menu: menu fortress

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58667 on: September 20, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »

are we complaining about menus in slaves to menus: god of menus: second menu: menu fortress

Hey the Menu god leveled up between versions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58668 on: September 20, 2014, 01:58:05 pm »

It all becomes pretty automagic once you get the hang of the byzantine menu structure of the military screen Neon ;D
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58669 on: September 20, 2014, 01:59:42 pm »

It all becomes pretty automagic once you get the hang of the byzantine menu structure of the military screen Neon ;D

Or I could do something fun instead of playing Dwarf Fortress "Can you navigate the military menu?" edition :P

I'll wait for the incredibly long and detailed walkthrough of JUST the military screen that isn't put into a video or something... and if It can be done in less than 6 steps I'll consider it :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:01:34 pm by Neonivek »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58670 on: September 20, 2014, 02:00:55 pm »

like watching terrible anime?

i'm pretty convinced that you're a masochist at this point

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58671 on: September 20, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »

On-topic, I still find it weird when people call you Neon because it's obvious that your name is a over-half-backwards Neo-Kevin.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58672 on: September 20, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »

Well, I like a more personalized and in depth military. Some people do enjoy things being more streamlined and easy to use. When you learn the functionality inside-out though [as all DF players eventually will] there is simply no comparison between 2014 and 2006 era military setup. 2014 is superior if a lot more complex, which was the point.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58673 on: September 20, 2014, 02:04:15 pm »

Or I could do something fun instead of playing Dwarf Fortress "Can you navigate the military menu?" edition :P

I'll wait for the incredibly long and detailed walkthrough of JUST the military screen that isn't put into a video or something... and if It can be done in less than 6 steps I'll consider it :P
Since I learned to play on DF2012, I guess I have no complaints about most of it.  ITs not efficient or easy, but neither is it permanent.

I dont bother to optimize most of my dwarves and equipment.  Here's some armor for you, and a stick for you.  Go poke that thing and STAY TOGETHER!!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58674 on: September 20, 2014, 02:05:01 pm »

True but the Neon wasn't unintentional mind you... But I am embarrassed to say why xD

like watching terrible anime?

i'm pretty convinced that you're a masochist at this point

I am mostly doing that for two reasons
1) I want to compare the next thing I watch to... something much worse...
2) I have a problem in that I don't like to do good things back to back, I have a tendency to "save" good things forever. It hits my OCD to move onto something also good that I know is good.

that and... I don't like leaving series unfinished... and Kindaichi case files I left unfinished >_< and it is bugging me... Only Familiar Zero has kept me away.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:19:19 pm by Neonivek »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58675 on: September 20, 2014, 04:40:33 pm »

Stupid people are stupid, I guess.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58676 on: September 20, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »

The main problem with the military menu for me was in how easy it was to accidentally exit it while browsing its inner sub-menus.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58677 on: September 20, 2014, 05:03:04 pm »

The thread disappeared :<
Killed by Toady, presumably. Tried to help keep a reasonable discourse going, my efforts seem to have been in vain. Seems it really is too flame worthy even for Bay12. Disappointing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #58678 on: September 20, 2014, 05:08:25 pm »

[floor grate]GamerGate is gone?

:D
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58679 on: September 20, 2014, 05:12:57 pm »

[floor grate]GamerGate is gone?

:D

I'd be sad if I honestly felt there was worthwhile discussion in there.
Pages: 1 ... 3910 3911 [3912] 3913 3914 ... 11039