Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3908 3909 [3910] 3911 3912 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14424858 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #58635 on: September 20, 2014, 09:28:00 am »

Yeah. I don't want to do this here. PM me if you really want to press it.

* LordSlowpoke rolls eyes

because every single time tumblr was discussed here, it devolved into a confrontational shitfest with people presenting ad hominem as logical argument

take it to irc or pms thank you

This exact same conversation happened with me, with the same two people involved.

If you two don't want to talk about Tubmlr hate stop hating on Tumblr.  Otherwise you're just going to have to accept that people will respond to you, and may do it in public pages.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58636 on: September 20, 2014, 09:30:57 am »

If you two don't want to talk about Tubmlr hate stop hating on Tumblr.  Otherwise you're just going to have to accept that people will respond to you, and may do it in public pages.
Made relevant part clear.
The problem is that it would quickly fill the thread with vitriol, which most of the other posters don't want to see.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58637 on: September 20, 2014, 09:39:13 am »

The article is weird because it CLEARLY was made to outrage the reader, yet it is written well enough that you can see the good intentions behind striking down that law.

So it was the 'Hide bad stuff in good stuff' thing politicians like doing?

No, the law makes sense on paper but not in execution.

What distinguishes a photo taken for sexual gratification versus any other photo of the same area? Well to do that, you would have to delve into a person's mind wouldn't you? As well, are there situations where the photo CAN be taken for sexual gratification from someone in public but be reasonable legal? As well should someone who takes a picture of a celebrity normally but do so for the sake of their own sexual gratification be charged? Because under that law that would also be illegal.

It needs clearly defined boundaries so it doesn't become well... a witch hunt.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:44:20 am by Neonivek »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58638 on: September 20, 2014, 09:45:29 am »

Most likely, it was written in an era when, as a general rule, only professional photographers, tourists, and perverts carried cameras around all the time (remember that cameras used to be a lot more expensive), and it was very easy to distinguish perverts with mail-order or home-made microcameras (needed to take voyeuristic pics) from tourists with cheap 35mms or 110s and pros with high-end rigs.

Nowadays, nearly everyone has a camera, and judging is a lot harder.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58639 on: September 20, 2014, 09:45:46 am »

What distinguishes a photo taken for sexual gratification versus any other photo of the same area? Well to do that, you would have to delve into a person's mind wouldn't you?
Pretty much, yah. Absolutely nothing external is capable of distinguishing if a photo is taken for purposes of sexual gratification or for some other reason. Even pics of folks outright fornicating may be taken for other reasons -- anatomy/etc. study, aesthetic or emotional appreciation instead of sexual, almost certainly even more beyond those.

And nah, GO, it's just something made a ways back. Hard to think through paradigm shifts and outside context problems, and often a bad idea besides. Is why laws can change, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #58640 on: September 20, 2014, 10:17:36 am »

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
So, the thing about tumblr is that it's populated primarily by whiners, who can and will complain about anything and everything they don't like. You probably shouldn't be surprised about it.
In other words, I should totally make a tumblr where I complain about how racist and homophobic QWERTY keyboards are.
I will gladly aid you in such a tumblr.

I remember reading this tumblr wherein a female 'journalist' was complaining about how her smartphone didn't fit easily in her hand, and how this made it difficult for her to take pictures for articles, and how this was evidence of the patriarchy trying to keep her down.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58641 on: September 20, 2014, 10:36:56 am »

What distinguishes a photo taken for sexual gratification versus any other photo of the same area? Well to do that, you would have to delve into a person's mind wouldn't you?
Pretty much, yah. Absolutely nothing external is capable of distinguishing if a photo is taken for purposes of sexual gratification or for some other reason. Even pics of folks outright fornicating may be taken for other reasons -- anatomy/etc. study, aesthetic or emotional appreciation instead of sexual, almost certainly even more beyond those.

And nah, GO, it's just something made a ways back. Hard to think through paradigm shifts and outside context problems, and often a bad idea besides. Is why laws can change, yes.
So the article made it as incorrect as they possibly could?

Why not just go with 'TEXAS SAYS RAPE IS LEGAL!'

It is a common thing internet articles do, which is give articles completely inaccurate titles and FIRST paragraphs (because sometimes they have a preview) in order to draw people in to read them.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58642 on: September 20, 2014, 11:00:18 am »

And thats why I dont read the first paragraph
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58643 on: September 20, 2014, 11:01:04 am »

Welcome to clickbait articles. They're like Cracked, except funny.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #58644 on: September 20, 2014, 11:06:05 am »

Made relevant part clear.
The problem is that it would quickly fill the thread with vitriol, which most of the other posters don't want to see.
Yes, and I'm saying you don't get to make blanket statements like "Tumblr users are whiners" and then hide away all the well deserved criticism you'll receive in PMs.  Or assume that others want to PM you.

Its silly to say that you can make confrontational statements on the forum itself but others have to make their confrontational posts by PM.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58645 on: September 20, 2014, 11:16:44 am »

"well deserved"

but continue to vent, maybe it'll calm you down

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58646 on: September 20, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »

Tumblr sux

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58647 on: September 20, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58648 on: September 20, 2014, 01:23:04 pm »

Tumblr sux
i bet u support hitler
Hitler was so hipster he defied his own vision of perfection.  Not that some mainstream conformist would understand
>: {
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58649 on: September 20, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »

Hitler had some interesting ideas regarding cheese manufacturing.

The point in history in which the Swiss were most threatened by invasion was during WWII, when Adolf Hitler threatened to invade the country because it was the only country near Germany he had not yet invaded, it had a funny name, and Bavarians claimed it smelled "funny" (this is the full extent of Bavarian humour). Luckily, the Swiss prevented an imminent German invasion by promising to pay Hitler a tribute 17 tons (including holes) of cheese, 19 tons of chocolate, 200 milk maids, and 17 goats who possessed mustaches similar to Hitler. The Swiss were to pay the tribute every seven months, as long as the Germans stayed at least 39.5 feet (12.0396 metres) from the Swiss border. Hitler gave all the chocolate to his girlfriend, Eva, and allowed the milk maids and goats to run free at his secret hidden lair in the German countryside. Hitler planned on fermenting the cheese and then using it to build a deadly flatulence-based mega bomb to end the War once and for all, but, after an accident that compelled an evacuation of most of Bavaria, the plans were abandoned.

You're telling me you don't support this man?

/derail'd
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 3908 3909 [3910] 3911 3912 ... 11039