Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3877 3878 [3879] 3880 3881 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14436528 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #58170 on: September 11, 2014, 09:32:59 am »

Can it not be both?

Alternately, dude was probably drunk out his mind. Or otherwise intoxicated. Remember what a symposium was back then. Buncha dudes getting together to get utterly blitzed and talk about things they won't remember the next day. Like a frat party, except instead of "chug" they actually take the question "what is love" seriously, instead of responding with a meme that wouldn't exist for many centuries. Except for the ones that were drunk enough to actually see the future.

So. Bit drunk, and then screwing with people while simultaneously making some sort of point.

And, of course, more importantly it wasn't aristophanes speaking, but plato speaking through aristophanes. Remember that lens, and don't try to figure out what aristophanes was intending to say -- try to figure out what plato was trying to say with what aristophanes was saying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #58171 on: September 11, 2014, 11:40:20 am »

I'm probably going to end up working late tonight, and I'm looking forward to it because it means I get to be alone. Weird.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58172 on: September 11, 2014, 11:45:27 am »

I'm probably going to end up working late tonight, and I'm looking forward to it because it means I get to be alone. Weird.
Nonsense, working alone is almost always preferable to working with others.  I don't mind others, and friends with similar outlooks and etc, but being alone lets you put on music, be a goof, and play with toys.  Like when I was 16 working the night shift at a certain Mental Health Clinic I would right around the basement in a wheelchair and spray the floors with concentrated aerosol scents.  Which then had to be lit on fire.

One time, I duct taped a can to a giant garbage bag and put it into a container.  I then dropped a quality match inside and the resulting fire almost made me a felon.  It was great, though, the initial jet of fire and then the continuous leap of flame, despite me putting it into a shower area.

---

Now that Im more responsible about it, working alone is a chance to goof off and have fun in an otherwise stuffy environment.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:47:11 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58173 on: September 11, 2014, 11:47:55 am »

Remind me to never let pisskop work unsupervised.
Ever.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #58174 on: September 11, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »

At that place where you work(ed?), he would be right at home.  Wouldn't even have to be unsupervised, he could just light shit on fire and all the other employees would stare blankly.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #58175 on: September 11, 2014, 12:12:22 pm »

Everyone knows that a deodorant can flamethrower is a viable way to fry chips.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58176 on: September 11, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »

I guess now is the time to officially condemn casual firestarting.  I was a bad kid, yeah?  Bad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:28:33 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #58177 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:20 pm »

This would be an excellent time for KaelGotDwarves to show up again, but it's probably too much to hope for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #58178 on: September 11, 2014, 12:41:12 pm »

The number of gamers that will honestly argue that it's a bad thing to make a game easier to learn.

I guess people like their elitist clubs. As a player of one of the most niche and hard-to-learn games, I don't get it. I want more friends to play video games with.
I sort of agree, but that's because making games easier to learn often dumbs them down, introduces assloads of trolls into the community, or both. It'd be like if they translated LotR into Wikipedia-esque Simple English. A lot of the magic of the books would be lost and the stuffy Tolkien purists would be besieged by idiots who can't spell.

Sometimes, the difficulty of learning a game is part of its charm, anyway. [read: Tawarochir is a dorf fort/nethack/cataclysm fanatic with a +13 to Will saving throws and opposed Sense Motive-to-Diplomacy rolls]
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58179 on: September 11, 2014, 01:38:36 pm »

The number of gamers that will honestly argue that it's a bad thing to make a game easier to learn.

I guess people like their elitist clubs. As a player of one of the most niche and hard-to-learn games, I don't get it. I want more friends to play video games with.
I sort of agree, but that's because making games easier to learn often dumbs them down, introduces assloads of trolls into the community, or both. It'd be like if they translated LotR into Wikipedia-esque Simple English. A lot of the magic of the books would be lost and the stuffy Tolkien purists would be besieged by idiots who can't spell.

Sometimes, the difficulty of learning a game is part of its charm, anyway. [read: Tawarochir is a dorf fort/nethack/cataclysm fanatic with a +13 to Will saving throws and opposed Sense Motive-to-Diplomacy rolls]

You can find a HECK OF A LOT more pathetically easy games that overly coddle you and hit you over the head with unskippable tutorials then you can find games where you genuinely need to learn how to play.

If I am going to use a game as a comparison... Lets say Lands of Lore

I am not going to sit here and pretend like Lands of Lore is a genuinely perfect game... it had a lot of problems namely its horrible mess of an interface, stupid copyright protection, and sometimes the game could get REALLY insane with the solutions. In fact its biggest issue is how hard it is to play and the fact that you have to either memorize everything or have the manual infront of you in order to play. It makes the game nearly unplayable even for me.

Yet the fact that you can get stumped on a puzzle and have to think things out... is a novelty games DESPISE! "Lets make it easier to learn, we should have the game TELL YOU that you can freeze water with freeze spells" at which I would go "Heck no! The game rewarded you for thinking AND it was what you were expected to discover without the game telling you".

It isn't Elitism it is just knowing that the game had a edge and requires a certain level of thinking in order to play. The game doesn't hand you the solutions and I value the game because of it. What it needs is a better interface, tell you what items do, and tell you what the spell levels do. By making the game "Easier to learn" you are taking away the point of the game which is "thinking".

People are against videogames removing thinking from the equation. Sure a lot more people would be able to play, but it would be like replacing all Bikes with bikes with irremovable training wheels so "everyone can learn", which is what people are against.

Is that Elitist? Maybe, but your being egalitarian.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:41:24 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58180 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »

The amount of bullshit events that happened in this year is astonishing.

One plane disparaging, one plane shot down, ISIS rising and conquering half of the Iraq with ridiculous ease, the Ukraine stuff, the Ebola outbreak...

Is this how the Mayan end of the world looks like? Maybe the predictions were off by two years?

EDIT: Oh and I also forgot a gigantic volcano eruption in Iceland. What joys!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:11:59 pm by Sergarr »
._.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58181 on: September 11, 2014, 02:11:58 pm »

If this is the end of the world, it's a tad lame at this point. Planes crash, third world countries war, second world countries revolt, diseases outbreak. Nothing really too out of the norm, just in places with more media coverage this year.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58182 on: September 11, 2014, 02:12:48 pm »

Norse mythology is better.

Fimbulwinter followed by Ragnarok beats plane crashes any day.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #58183 on: September 11, 2014, 02:13:27 pm »

If that is indeed true, then Project: Fuck This Shit will have to commence 10 years early. No matter, I can work around this. Yes... That will do.
Norse mythology is better.

Fimbulwinter followed by Ragnarok beats plane crashes any day.
Imma have to agree.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #58184 on: September 11, 2014, 02:18:02 pm »

I must say, I'm enjoying living at the bottom of the world more than normal this year. No-one cares about us enough to fly, no-one wants to travel all the way here overland, and our government is at least not extremely religious.

Norse mythology has one of the best ends-of-the-world, I agree.

Pages: 1 ... 3877 3878 [3879] 3880 3881 ... 11040