Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3871 3872 [3873] 3874 3875 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14428899 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #58080 on: September 09, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »

I'm sorry. Ya, everybody, lets not pull our time logged in counts.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58081 on: September 09, 2014, 05:19:23 pm »

Today my teacher fell asleep during class and didn't wake up until the bell rang.

Once, the person right in front of me fell asleep during a movie. And snored. Loudly. It wasn't even that boring of a movie.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58082 on: September 09, 2014, 05:24:53 pm »

So far I've heard people in New Vegas pronounce Caesar about 5 different ways. Kai-sar? Say-sar? Cay-ser? Is there an actual canon pronunciation, or is it just completely up for debate?
When I was taking Latin my teacher actually discussed it.  She said is was pronounced more like Kaiser, since in Latin the c is pronounced more like a k.  The only other lesson in pronunciation is that V is pronounced like a w, so villa sounds like willa.
General rule: Latin is pronounced like German. C is k, v is pronounced like v in vowel (so a w sound, you crazy anglophones), and qu is pronounced kw (this is something Germans don't do).
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58083 on: September 09, 2014, 05:25:02 pm »

Today my teacher fell asleep during class and didn't wake up until the bell rang.

Once, the person right in front of me fell asleep during a movie. And snored. Loudly. It wasn't even that boring of a movie.
Hell, I almost fell asleep during a talk by the Dali Lama. If you didn't get enough sleep, and it's a warm room, it's not that hard.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58084 on: September 09, 2014, 05:48:29 pm »

General rule: Latin is pronounced like German. C is k, v is pronounced like v in vowel (so a w sound, you crazy anglophones), and qu is pronounced kw (this is something Germans don't do).
That's not even half true. Wikipedia has got a good breakdown of Latin pronunciation.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58085 on: September 09, 2014, 06:04:46 pm »

I have no volume control over my voice. Was doing some group questions in accounting when the entire group decided that they were blind and couldn't read a story example in the text, and demanded that I read it out loud. The damn thing was a few pages long.

I basically read to the entire class because I'm completely unaware of my own vocal levels and have no real ability to control it. Somehow I've never noticed this before. Probably because I never talk.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #58086 on: September 09, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »

So far I've heard people in New Vegas pronounce Caesar about 5 different ways. Kai-sar? Say-sar? Cay-ser? Is there an actual canon pronunciation, or is it just completely up for debate?
When I was taking Latin my teacher actually discussed it.  She said is was pronounced more like Kaiser, since in Latin the c is pronounced more like a k.  The only other lesson in pronunciation is that V is pronounced like a w, so villa sounds like willa.
I say sea-tzer, but it's probably more like kai-tzar.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58087 on: September 09, 2014, 06:07:14 pm »

That's not even half true. Wikipedia has got a good breakdown of Latin pronunciation.
I just looked it over, and it does seem to hold generally - except for nasalisations (but hey, youre not gonna do them anyway) and the Spanish-style r (to be fair, that does occur in many German dialects). And z being an s-sound. Okay, there's a few differences. But the examples above are valid - and German pronunciation is a better approximation than the English one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #58088 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:57 pm »

It's spelled Caesar, but it's pronounced Khlûl′-hloo
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58089 on: September 09, 2014, 06:29:23 pm »

Caesar was awesome, like a fantasy Stalin.

Comparatively.

He got it done, he did it in a very pragmatic way, and he knew his own boundaries.  I've been reading a bit about Stalin's life (poor formal education, a strict religious upbringing, little in the way of public charisma, all the intrigue, etc) and I would say Caesar and Stalin would be homies.

Until, of course, Fantasy Lenin died and Stalin snitched on Caesar.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #58090 on: September 09, 2014, 06:32:03 pm »

Code: [Select]
if not (item.flags.owned or item.flags.in_job or item.flags.hostile or item.flags.in_inventory or item.flags.removed or item.flags.dead_dwarf or item.flags.rotten or item.flags.spider_web or item.flags.encased or item.flags.construction or item.flags.trader or item.flags.owned or item.garbage_collect or item.artifact or item.forbid or item.dump or item.on_fire or item.melt) then --jesus

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #58091 on: September 09, 2014, 06:57:31 pm »

I mean, it looks like English. But I am not able to discern any meaning from any of it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #58092 on: September 09, 2014, 07:03:36 pm »

if not (item.flags.owned or item.flags.in_job or item.flags.hostile or item.flags.in_inventory or item.flags.removed or item.flags.dead_dwarf or item.flags.rotten or item.flags.spider_web or item.flags.encased or item.flags.construction or item.flags.trader or item.flags.owned or item.garbage_collect or item.artifact or item.forbid or item.dump or item.on_fire or item.melt) then --jesus
...that is the longest if statement I've ever seen. Is that actual DF code or some DFHack script?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #58093 on: September 09, 2014, 07:09:07 pm »

I mean, it looks like English. But I am not able to discern any meaning from any of it.

Cryptic crosswords are cool. The point is that there's a roundabout definition of the word you're looking for somewhere in the clue, and the rest is all wordplay, with your answer hidden in other words, or anagrammed, or in synonyms of words used, and there's 'marker' words that you look out for to tell you how to unscramble the whole shebang. Anything with a connotation of 'shuffled' or 'jumbled' or 'changed' usually means an anagram, for example.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #58094 on: September 09, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

Heh. 7 Down. "I get a bit tetchy when it irritates".

I love the "-- jesus" at the end. You can feel the programmer's pain, expressed perfectly in that one word.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 3871 3872 [3873] 3874 3875 ... 11039