Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3823 3824 [3825] 3826 3827 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13680299 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57360 on: September 01, 2014, 12:38:53 am »

Basically, the thing with the Fountain is that Duchamp and a bunch of his friends had set up an alternate, non-judgemental counterpart to the New York Art Shows, which were very elitist and judge-based. Also very corrupt and nepotistic.

Anyway, Duchamp wanted to challenge just how much his compatriots were actually open-minded and non-judgemental, so he submitted the Fountain. Then, when they predictably removed it, he resigned from their art circle in exaggerated shock and offense. It was that reaction, the satirical challenge he forced on them, that was the actual "art". The Fountain itself is just facilitating that. He was showing how they were hypocritical and focused on their alternativeness rather than being non-judging.

But it's also a piss-drinking joke because it's a urinal turned over and called a fountain.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57361 on: September 01, 2014, 01:07:52 am »

OHMYGODPLEASETELLMEYOUSTILLHAVETHEWORLDIWANNAPLAYTHATSOBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Oh hai, I missed this.

Here's a link to the zip file I uploaded. readme.txt included with general info. Be prepared for weirdness.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57362 on: September 01, 2014, 05:23:14 am »

Well, I didn't expect this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57363 on: September 01, 2014, 05:46:29 am »

What's up with that anti-modern-art circlejerk in here? Now you've made me feel elitist.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57364 on: September 01, 2014, 05:47:38 am »

What's up with that anti-modern-art circlejerk in here? Now you've made me feel elitist.
We somehow ended up defending Hitler's painting skills.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57365 on: September 01, 2014, 05:48:20 am »

Well, I didn't expect this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah yes, a statistic with no background information whatsoever, sponsored by a biased organization, and published on the Internet. What a fine and trustworthy source of legit.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57366 on: September 01, 2014, 05:53:23 am »

We somehow ended up defending Hitler's painting skills.
Well, that's completely reasonable - I meant the other stuff...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57367 on: September 01, 2014, 05:54:56 am »

I walked outside of the bathroom and my dog looked at me like "What died in there." Did it really smell THAT bad?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57368 on: September 01, 2014, 05:57:29 am »

I walked outside of the bathroom and my dog looked at me like "What died in there." Did it really smell THAT bad?
Uh, SE...
I'm not sure if you knew this, but dogs can't speak.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57369 on: September 01, 2014, 06:01:05 am »

Uh, SE...
He looked at me, and the look told me that's what he was thinking. He didn't actually speak.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #57370 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:53 am »

Has your dog been looking at you like "I serve none but Korrok" lately?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57371 on: September 01, 2014, 06:18:01 am »

No, he's been looking at me like "I serve none but the cat."

GENERATION 29:

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57372 on: September 01, 2014, 06:25:48 am »

Uh, SE...
He looked at me, and the look told me that's what he was thinking. He didn't actually speak.
Well I was going to find something about the emotional range of dogs, but then discovered that dog owners who take them to shows and stuff are apparently deficient in sanity. Saying that dogs can in fact understand English (as in, whole sentences and the meaning behind them), for example.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #57373 on: September 01, 2014, 06:37:26 am »

I actually like De Stijl. Whether this counts as art proper is another matter, but nonetheless.

Now regarding those stupid performance art things, I just thought of an interesting problem:

An artist makes something like the slashed toilet paper and claims that it's about the life problems of Mr. Jon Whateverson from Garden Ave. 23. But the piece itself does not, in itself, easily present that message. The meaning is non-obvious to an observer, even critics wouldn't know if the artist didn't tell them straight away.

So, there are two ways to treat it: traditional, which means it's a piece of garbage, because it doesn't present itself clearly, or postmodern, allowing you to excuse it as art.

Now here is the problem: if it IS to be interpreted as post-modern, how can the artist get away with claiming it has any specific meaning?

If you go structuralist, so TvTropes-style approach, it fails, because you cannot infer the meaning from art, if you go post-structuralist, it fails because it CANNOT have any meaning aside from that ascribed by the viewer.

So basically they are trying to have their cake and eat it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57374 on: September 01, 2014, 07:28:01 am »

Now here is the problem: if it IS to be interpreted as post-modern, how can the artist get away with claiming it has any specific meaning?

That works because when average people are confronted by a confusing statement, they tend to believe they're not smart enough to understand it rather than consider that the author of the statement is talking bullshit. Ironically that makes them correct. Of course they then go ahead and assume the statement was smart to begin with, which isn't correct anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 3823 3824 [3825] 3826 3827 ... 11004