Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3820 3821 [3822] 3823 3824 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13662314 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57315 on: August 31, 2014, 02:51:51 pm »

I like how you describe it as fun, and then say it doesn't need to be fun.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #57316 on: August 31, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »

Well, critics described it as tedious. It's a hard game to describe. What I can call it is not fun. It might sound fun, but it just has this quality about it that removes any fun you could have from the situation yet still makes you keep going through it.

I don't know. They should have sent a poet. Or someone with an actual brain.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57317 on: August 31, 2014, 03:02:48 pm »

My WTF moment (also made me laugh): Finding a random creature generator that is almost as good as the DF ones.

yellow horse. in place of a head it has a floating cube that glows and pulses softly. it wears a toga.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #57318 on: August 31, 2014, 03:46:36 pm »

I don't think it's a question of being fun or not. What matters is if the gameplay carries the atmosphere of the game well. That's the point of a game. If you want to be all bullshitty, you can make an "interactive fiction" but it won't be considered a game by me. Having a game with only story is like having a film where there is no visuals, only dialog.

For example, a game I played recently (And am playing through again) is a prime example of the "it doesn't need to be fun, it needs to be good" idea. The game, named Knock Knock, is basically a game where you walk around a house turning on lights and avoiding monsters you can't fight against, then going for walks in forests looking for a girl who shows you a quick, cryptic video when you find her then disappears entirely. Sounds like the horrible lovechild of Dear Esther and the latest youtube personality's horror LP, right? Well, I still consider it one of the best experiences I've ever played on the virtue of the fact that the developers (Ice Pick Lodge, the same people who made the Void and Pathologic) managed to make it an engaging trip into the mind of a severely disturbed man haunted by his failures and stuck in a rut of superstitious rituals and childhood games.

You don't need a fun game, but you can't have a walking simulator and still call it an art game. I find the notion of art game silly anyway.
Something tell me you don't play interactive fiction much.  :P
There are many IFs which is focused on puzzles and barely any plot.
Interactive fictions are basically point and click games in text.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57319 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:47 pm »

What WAS the Grisha5 thread anyway?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57320 on: August 31, 2014, 03:51:14 pm »

Installing DF 40.10

I think I made a mistake at some point and got duped raws. The playable civ is gremlins, and the hostile civ is unicorns. The other civs appear to have been a race of dragons which died out in the first hundred years due to old age, and a race of trolls, which got wiped out by the unicorns.

Now this is what I'd call a fantasy world.
OHMYGODPLEASETELLMEYOUSTILLHAVETHEWORLDIWANNAPLAYTHATSOBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Hell.

Living. Hell.
Also, it got out of hand and they defaced Wikipedia, which was a mildly stupid move.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #57321 on: August 31, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »

To be blunt, bullshit. It's not even worth remembering

And on the topic of art games, I play videogames or watch things to enjoy myself in some way. If I don't have fun doing something, and if I don't absolutely have to do it. Well... I don't. And yes like 98% of them are shit. Non art games have a much higher rate of quality given they try to have gameplay at least usually.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #57322 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:05 pm »

An escaped lunatic made a thread about how he's back, and if other people missed him, despite only having 2 posts. Bay12 promptly started a cult around said Lunatic.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57323 on: August 31, 2014, 04:26:18 pm »

He has an account on the KSP forums, too.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/115975-grisha5
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57324 on: August 31, 2014, 04:39:59 pm »

To be sincere, I don't understand the concept of 'art games', mainly because I consider anything that makes me feel strong emotions and awe to be art.
Lemme use an example.
If you decide to make a painting, and people ask you what the painting will be about, and you say 'art' and then do the painting and proclaim it is art and start telling people your painting is an example of great art even if people don't like it, then it is not art.
If you make a painting, however, and you don't brag about how artsy it is, but just sell it to people or whatever, and I look at it and it makes me feel strong feelings or awe, I consider it to be art.
Since different things make different people feel different emotions, everyone has a different definition of art. Someone could enjoy the painting from example 1, and say it is art, and I'd be okay with it.
What I'm trying to say is only well-done and good enough things are art, regardless of how you label them.
I hope I worded that correctly.

Ohhh I understand that, I think ALL videogames are art period.

It is hard to describe it but "Art games" are games where the "art" is the primary importance and everything else bends over backwards to accommodate it.

"Art Game" is more like a genre..

In the same way that "Modern Art" is a genre of art.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #57325 on: August 31, 2014, 04:45:27 pm »

Modern Art counts as Art? 0_o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57326 on: August 31, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »

Also, it got out of hand and they defaced Wikipedia, which was a mildly stupid move.
they
That makes it sound like the entire thread messed with the page or something. It was one person, IIRC.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57327 on: August 31, 2014, 04:58:14 pm »

I only like art games when they're explaining a scientific concept. Wait, do those count as art games?
Is there a game about quantum mechanics?
Apparently yes
I've read through the game concepts and look at this gem:

"Some of the earliest experiments that lead to modern quantum physics showed a surprising result: observing certain things on the subatomic level (like photons) actually caused them to have different properties. And it isn’t just that the things appear different depending on how we observe them -- like looking at the world through sunglasses makes it appear darker -- it’s that the things actually are different depending on if (or how) they are observed: as if you put on the glasses and the world itself actually became darker.

In the Minecraft world, you could think about this as a block that, when you look at it from the west, is stone but when you look at it from the south it is a pumpkin."

That's not how quantum mechanics work, dammit!

._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57328 on: August 31, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »

I am wondering guys.

What is the best way to prevent yourself from being demoralized/demotivated?

I notice I get into that state very easily and while I am overly sensitive... this isn't good.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57329 on: August 31, 2014, 05:50:38 pm »

I am wondering guys.
What is the best way to prevent yourself from being demoralized/demotivated?
I notice I get into that state very easily and while I am overly sensitive... this isn't good.
Latch onto and exaggerate any other feeling like happiness or grumpiness at the world, mostly depending on the weather. Something to keep your mind off of whatever it is that demoralizing you, allowing you to truly assess the situation unbridled by clouded niggles.
Pages: 1 ... 3820 3821 [3822] 3823 3824 ... 11004