Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3819 3820 [3821] 3822 3823 ... 11003

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13653706 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57300 on: August 31, 2014, 12:54:32 pm »

Frog Fractions. Art game and a WTF too. It's actually playable though, so might not be "arty enough"

I could see an argument that it is "artsy" but the reason I don't is because... It is clear that it wasn't what the creator was going for.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57301 on: August 31, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wut.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57302 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:29 pm »

Installing DF 40.10

I think I made a mistake at some point and got duped raws. The playable civ is gremlins, and the hostile civ is unicorns. The other civs appear to have been a race of dragons which died out in the first hundred years due to old age, and a race of trolls, which got wiped out by the unicorns.

Now this is what I'd call a fantasy world.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57303 on: August 31, 2014, 01:21:07 pm »

A game can be both "artsy" and fun, like Braid or Fez. The thing is that neither of those two are really trying to convey a deeper meaning, they're just "artsy" in the way that there is a big focus on the atmosphere and graphics.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57304 on: August 31, 2014, 01:33:08 pm »

You guys want good, artsy games?

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. First game I ever played, best game I ever played.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57305 on: August 31, 2014, 01:40:48 pm »

Installing DF 40.10

I think I made a mistake at some point and got duped raws. The playable civ is gremlins, and the hostile civ is unicorns. The other civs appear to have been a race of dragons which died out in the first hundred years due to old age, and a race of trolls, which got wiped out by the unicorns.

Now this is what I'd call a fantasy world.

Someday, the screenwriter of the inevitable DF movie will get bugged raws when he downloads the game to see what it's about and writes a movie about flesh balls that live in houses built out of pigeon feathers on a mountain made of solid leaves, locked in an eternal war on ducks, aided by their faithful friends, the floating guts.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57306 on: August 31, 2014, 01:50:46 pm »

I don't dislike art games, they're just not my thing. Incidentally, my two favorite games of all time are DF and Half-Life 2, for mechanics and storytelling, respectively.

non-visual-NSFW WTF of the day, probably the week.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57307 on: August 31, 2014, 01:57:30 pm »

Starseed Pilgrim is artsy and awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #57308 on: August 31, 2014, 02:22:57 pm »

I only like art games when they're explaining a scientific concept. Wait, do those count as art games?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57309 on: August 31, 2014, 02:25:11 pm »

That's Bill Nye, objective.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57310 on: August 31, 2014, 02:26:13 pm »

I only like art games when they're explaining a scientific concept. Wait, do those count as art games?
Is there a game about quantum mechanics?
._.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57311 on: August 31, 2014, 02:29:39 pm »

Carl Sagan's COSMOS the Movie of the Show, the Game?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57312 on: August 31, 2014, 02:39:03 pm »

Starseed Pilgrim is artsy and awesome.
Hotline Miami is artsy and awesome.
Really, you can convey a message and also be fun. It's not impossible, artists of the world.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #57313 on: August 31, 2014, 02:39:44 pm »

Is there a game about quantum mechanics?
Apparently yes
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #57314 on: August 31, 2014, 02:47:17 pm »

I don't think it's a question of being fun or not. What matters is if the gameplay carries the atmosphere of the game well. That's the point of a game. If you want to be all bullshitty, you can make an "interactive fiction" but it won't be considered a game by me. Having a game with only story is like having a film where there is no visuals, only dialog.

For example, a game I played recently (And am playing through again) is a prime example of the "it doesn't need to be fun, it needs to be good" idea. The game, named Knock Knock, is basically a game where you walk around a house turning on lights and avoiding monsters you can't fight against, then going for walks in forests looking for a girl who shows you a quick, cryptic video when you find her then disappears entirely. Sounds like the horrible lovechild of Dear Esther and the latest youtube personality's horror LP, right? Well, I still consider it one of the best experiences I've ever played on the virtue of the fact that the developers (Ice Pick Lodge, the same people who made the Void and Pathologic) managed to make it an engaging trip into the mind of a severely disturbed man haunted by his failures and stuck in a rut of superstitious rituals and childhood games.

You don't need a fun game, but you can't have a walking simulator and still call it an art game. I find the notion of art game silly anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 3819 3820 [3821] 3822 3823 ... 11003