Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3770 3771 [3772] 3773 3774 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448549 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #56565 on: August 21, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »

Well I mean, remember that Medal of Honor: Warfighter (fnar fnar fnar) is a real thing that exists.
This is something that people think is okay to make and sell.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #56566 on: August 21, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

So I was watching a commercial for the Xbox One and I was mostly having fun and joking about.

So everytime on screen there was a game that was a shooter or action/shooter I would say "Shooter"

So... I was going "Shooter, Shooter, Shooter, Shooter, Shooter, Shooter" then the commercial ended.

REALLY? Only shooters? No RPGs, Racing games, Simulations, Fighters? SHOOTERS ONLY!?!

Shooters oddly enough is my least favorite Genre... Mostly because I kind of like the most classic gameplay of Doom and Duke Nukem over the "Call of Duty" type shooter gameplay that is popularized.

Dang I did like Time Splitters.

According to Wipedia, 32 of the 280 released or announced games for the Xbone are First or Third person shooters. In comparison, there are 12 ARPGs, 9 RPGs, and 8 Racing titles. Shooters thus make up a large part of the library, but not on obscene one. They tend to get focus in advertising because of that precious "M" rating that kept the Xbox afloat and helped fuel the dominance of the 360, as the Microsoft brand was pushed as being "for grown-ups", while marketers seem to think that people view platform games as "for kids" and RPGs are for "creepy shut-in weaboos", despite both views being pretty much extinct among most gamers.

@Objective

The military doesn't particularly like shooters. They'll provide them to keep up troop morale (along with a variety of other games), but they're not particularly favored. CoD and the like provide zero battlefield skills (except possibly teamwork, but that's debateable), and tend to ingrain poor tactics into people before they join up. Any sim software used by the military is developed for that purpose and is generally not put on the civilian market.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #56567 on: August 21, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »

So I was watching a commercial for the Xbox One and I was mostly having fun and joking about.

So everytime on screen there was a game that was a shooter or action/shooter I would say "Shooter"

So... I was going "Shooter, Shooter, Shooter, Shooter, Shooter, Shooter" then the commercial ended.

REALLY? Only shooters? No RPGs, Racing games, Simulations, Fighters? SHOOTERS ONLY!?!

Shooters oddly enough is my least favorite Genre... Mostly because I kind of like the most classic gameplay of Doom and Duke Nukem over the "Call of Duty" type shooter gameplay that is popularized.

Dang I did like Time Splitters.

According to Wipedia, 32 of the 280 released or announced games for the Xbone are First or Third person shooters. In comparison, there are 12 ARPGs, 9 RPGs, and 8 Racing titles. Shooters thus make up a large part of the library, but not on obscene one. They tend to get focus in advertising because of that precious "M" rating that kept the Xbox afloat and helped fuel the dominance of the 360, as the Microsoft brand was pushed as being "for grown-ups", while marketers seem to think that people view platform games as "for kids" and RPGs are for "creepy shut-in weaboos", despite both views being pretty much extinct among most gamers.

@Objective

The military doesn't particularly like shooters. They'll provide them to keep up troop morale (along with a variety of other games), but they're not particularly favored. CoD and the like provide zero battlefield skills (except possibly teamwork, but that's debateable), and tend to ingrain poor tactics into people before they join up. Any sim software used by the military is developed for that purpose and is generally not put on the civilian market.

Well, sometimes they do - Full Spectrum Warrior, at least the first one, was such a game just with some modifications for the civilian release.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56568 on: August 21, 2014, 03:17:52 pm »

How many of those 280 games have no genre? or are action or Adventure or action adventure?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56569 on: August 21, 2014, 05:11:25 pm »

Today was my last day of work for this year. I have been happy, sad, frustrated, and confused. But I'll save time by posting it all here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56570 on: August 21, 2014, 05:40:27 pm »

Quote from: WAR GAMES
*snop*
There are state sponsored shooters, like America's Army, but I wonder why even games that are ostensibly not funded by the US Army have this extremely weird and creepy extreme patriotism nowadays. Are they looking to impress the Pentagon or is there some untapped market of 12 year old neocon Open-Carry supporting rednecks out there looking to play some videogames?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56571 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:08 pm »

is there some untapped market of 12 year old neocon Open-Carry supporting rednecks out there looking to play some videogames?
They're called my brother's Boy Scout troop.

EDIT: Actually, 12 years seems to be the high point in the average young Middle American male's redneckness. Old enough to act "tough" and be negatively affected by some things "librulz" are in favor of, but not mature enough to have enough empathy for the various groups whom conservatives' beliefs affect negatively.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:41:44 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #56572 on: August 21, 2014, 07:53:51 pm »

is there some untapped market of 12 year old neocon Open-Carry supporting rednecks out there looking to play some videogames?
Basically 75% of the middle school students at my school and a good chunk of the high school.

Glad I'm not one of 'em.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56573 on: August 21, 2014, 07:58:10 pm »

As the sort of bohemian gamer who is so hipster he derides art games for not being arty enough, all I can say to that is D:

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56574 on: August 22, 2014, 12:48:29 am »

What is "neocon" and "open-carry"?
I'm assuming open-carry is something to with, well, carrying firearms openly, but I have no idea as to the first one.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56575 on: August 22, 2014, 01:01:10 am »

neo-conservative.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56576 on: August 22, 2014, 04:06:34 am »

So after watching a PETA parody there seems to be an underlying theme...

Vegetarians are people who don't know how to cook. If you don't know how to cook animals, chances are you will become a vegetarian and you still won't know how to cook.

I am honestly surprised people have such a hard time making vegetarianism appealing... they focus so hard on making eating meat seem like the most disgusting thing ever, but then when you see the Vegetarian's buffet of wonder it is usually carrots and peas and MAYBE a salad... and Tofu, lots and lots of tofu... and almost no one can make good tofu.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:10:24 am by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #56577 on: August 22, 2014, 04:08:53 am »

Poorly-cooked delicious animals are still delicious animals.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56578 on: August 22, 2014, 04:10:07 am »

Vegetarians are people who don't know how to cook. If you don't know how to cook animals, chances are you will become a vegetarian and you still won't know how to cook.
That's an odd theme to have. As far as reflecting reality goes anyway (although yes, I am aware this is PETA).

Though on the subject of PETA, they did yesterday tweet about how fish belong in the water and not on the end of a fishing line. As though people didn't know that and all these fish were being caught and cooked out of a misplaced attempt to help.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:12:45 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #56579 on: August 22, 2014, 04:11:36 am »

I thought vegetarians tend to be better cooks?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 3770 3771 [3772] 3773 3774 ... 11040