Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3763 3764 [3765] 3766 3767 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456151 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #56460 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:40 am »

Well, by that, I mean we mostly sound like Americans or Brits. Sometimes a bit different. But noone has ever non-ironically said the word....'Aboot'.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #56461 on: August 19, 2014, 11:09:30 am »

* Tiruin prods KingofstarrySkies.

The world is a lot bigger than you know it, sir. :I
And it is insulting to note our lack of accents.
* Tiruin clears her throat.
Yeah.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56462 on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:07 am »

Well, by that, I mean we mostly sound like Americans or Brits. Sometimes a bit different. But noone has ever non-ironically said the word....'Aboot'.
Please define the "American" accent. Cuz I've been all over the western half of the country and people sound different everywhere.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #56463 on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:20 am »

What are you talking aboot? :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56464 on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:44 am »

Belgians don't have accents. We speak Dutch the way it was ment to be spoken!
 :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56465 on: August 19, 2014, 11:11:09 am »

Okay, okay. I don't know how to define it i'msorrypleasedon'thateme :'(
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56466 on: August 19, 2014, 11:11:29 am »

... which americans? Or which brits, I guess. Not as familiar with UK's spread, but there's something like five or six major accents in the US, and bunches of more localized ones.

Or do canadians do that freaky multi-vocal choral effect whatsit? All accents at once. Y'all should probably look into that if so. Can't be a good sign. Canada confirmed possessed by demon of politeness?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #56467 on: August 19, 2014, 11:12:51 am »

Please define the "American" accent. Cuz I've been all over the western half of the country and people sound different everywhere.
Most Americans I've heard have a sort of drawl.

* Tiruin prods KingofstarrySkies.

The world is a lot bigger than you know it, sir. :I
And it is insulting to note our lack of accents.
* Tiruin clears her throat.
Yeah.
Watch out KoSS!
She has knives!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #56468 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:16 am »

Okay, okay. I don't know how to define it i'msorrypleasedon'thateme :'(
I meant that in a...sarcastic-ish way D:
I don't hate you silly XD
Nor do I expect anyone else will from that thing you said :P

Dwarfy is silly.

Umm..relevancy to thread...

My net is sometimes fast enough to download! That's good :D

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56469 on: August 19, 2014, 11:19:38 am »

A Canadian on a Jim Sterling video insulting his English, because of his accent.
I'm not sure how I can respond to this.
Pardon me?

Are you saying that there is something wrong with the way we speak?

In all seriousness though, yeah, don't insult people at all. Funnily enough, most of us don't have accents.
I... what?
Aside from the fact that of course everyone has an accent because that's been brought up already repeatedly, when did I ever insult anyone?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56470 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:24 am »

Not you, silly. The commenter.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56471 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:42 am »

News anchors on CNN and such sounds like Toronto area Canadians. Just like Received on the BBC is internationally considered "generic British", "generic Canadian" on CBC sounds a lot like "generic American" on CNN. A sort of Midwest, Great Lakes accent.

Outside that you have a sort of Irish or Scot accent in the maritime provinces, especially Newfoundland or the "Newfie" accent. I don't know enough about out west, the prairies or British Columbia, to describe them. But the stereotypical Canadian accent exists, just in the north. Thunder Bay is probably the most southern you can get and still probably hear it in every day life, but it's mostly Hudson Bay area. I have no idea why it became the stereotypical accent, it's a fairly sparsely populated area, not many people have it. But that's where it comes from, as far as I know.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56472 on: August 19, 2014, 12:12:50 pm »

News anchors on CNN and such sounds like Toronto area Canadians. Just like Received on the BBC is internationally considered "generic British", "generic Canadian" on CBC sounds a lot like "generic American" on CNN. A sort of Midwest, Great Lakes accent.

Outside that you have a sort of Irish or Scot accent in the maritime provinces, especially Newfoundland or the "Newfie" accent. I don't know enough about out west, the prairies or British Columbia, to describe them. But the stereotypical Canadian accent exists, just in the north. Thunder Bay is probably the most southern you can get and still probably hear it in every day life, but it's mostly Hudson Bay area. I have no idea why it became the stereotypical accent, it's a fairly sparsely populated area, not many people have it. But that's where it comes from, as far as I know.
I believe the West Ontarian "Nice day, eh?" accent is pretty close to Minnesootans, and I know that Southeast Ontarians and American Great Lakers sound pretty much the same. I would imagine, based on that, that western-interior Canadians sound like western-interior Americans, and British Columbians sound like Washingtonians.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56473 on: August 19, 2014, 12:21:07 pm »

People always have difficulty with defining my accent, because I don't talk like the poeople who live here (fuck it, I'll just say it, I live in Kentucky, it's not "former confederate territory" but it's close enough) and everyone here has a drawl and slurs their words, except me. Someone people say I sound like a New Yorker, some say I sound like I'm from Ohio. (According to an Internet thing on word usage [as opposed to actual "accent"] I talk like someone from California.)

Actual WTF: Yesterday I was driving to my neurologist appointment in a different city, but due to the way the roads are (and me being unaccustomed) I ended up taking the wrong road.
As I'm driving, it says I'm entering "Livingston".
I think for a minute to recall such a place, and I don't. None of the road signs point to it. It doesn't appear on any map I've seen, and you don't see the sign that says the name until you're on the highway that leads into it. (And you can't make a U-turn so you're forced to go into it)
So I enter this place, and there are no buildings to be seen.
I notice a car pulled over on the side of the road with nobody in it. Odd.
Then another car. Then two more. Then a fifth, and a sixth, and a seventh.
I'm not even actually in the town, I just pulled up to the bridge so I could turn around and head back the way I came, so they're really close together.
There isn't a single other car going along this road, just a ton of deserted ones.
I quickly NOPE the fuck out of there, and turn around and leave.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56474 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23:56 pm »

I learned to talk from upper-midwesterners living in Arizona, and from what I can find online my pronunciation seems to reflect that, but I picked up most of my vocabulary (e.g. "pop") from Meshuggan.

Also, glottal stops.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 3763 3764 [3765] 3766 3767 ... 11040