Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3726 3727 [3728] 3729 3730 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14491437 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #55905 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:54 am »

It's probably because you perfumed thread necromancy on a game in which you were a NPC?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55906 on: August 09, 2014, 09:22:03 am »

Avatar (the film with the blue people, not the series) is currently the world's highest-grossing film. I did not think it was considered that good.

Nope, wrong.  It's Gone with the Wind. You have to adjust for inflation.

Avatar also got a big boost for selling lots of (much more expensive) IMAX tickets, so "highest-grossing" isn't really a good measure of popularity.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #55907 on: August 09, 2014, 09:31:51 am »

I actually at one point wondered if you could make a game with better graphics then real life. Apparently game developers are obsessed with seeing if you can or something.

I'm not even sure what that means. There are no places where reality compresses away detail. There is nothing to improve upon.

You don't have to uncompress hidden detail, you just have to ADD DETAIL THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE.
Never say you can't improve something. You always can. Perfection is only perfect until it gets its ass handed to it by someone who dared to be more then perfect.

Yeah. Off the top of my head, you could simulate perception of things that humans cannot see in reality, which we already can do - thermal cameras and the like.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55908 on: August 09, 2014, 09:38:54 am »

I actually at one point wondered if you could make a game with better graphics then real life. Apparently game developers are obsessed with seeing if you can or something.

I'm not even sure what that means. There are no places where reality compresses away detail. There is nothing to improve upon.

You don't have to uncompress hidden detail, you just have to ADD DETAIL THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE.
Never say you can't improve something. You always can. Perfection is only perfect until it gets its ass handed to it by someone who dared to be more then perfect.

Yeah. Off the top of my head, you could simulate perception of things that humans cannot see in reality, which we already can do - thermal cameras and the like.
But to let humans see that detail you're going to have to cut off a bit of the other end of the spectrum, unless the Oculus is suddenly capable of transmitting signals directly into your brain.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #55909 on: August 09, 2014, 09:44:22 am »

But to let humans see that detail you're going to have to cut off a bit of the other end of the spectrum, unless the Oculus is suddenly capable of transmitting signals directly into your brain.

Yes, you would need to restrict some visible light frequencies for those effects. But that's room for improvisation. For example, use a limited palette for regularly visible items and tint them with something else to convey the heat levels. If you ever had to come up with something, you know the most limiting thing is having no restrictions at all.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55910 on: August 09, 2014, 09:49:14 am »

Yes, you would need to restrict some visible light frequencies for those effects. But that's room for improvisation. For example, use a limited palette for regularly visible items and tint them with something else to convey the heat levels. If you ever had to come up with something, you know the most limiting thing is having no restrictions at all.
Yeah, but you're still not adding detail, you're just removing detail and then replacing it with something else.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55911 on: August 09, 2014, 10:33:21 am »

Yo.
Quote pyramids.
Staph.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55912 on: August 09, 2014, 10:53:08 am »

Yeah, but you're still not adding detail, you're just removing detail and then replacing it with something else.
Some people can already see better graphics than others. We can help those who see less well with physical devices called glasses that do not connect to the brain - they just shape the light coming to the eyes to improve the person's visible resolution.

A screen directly in front of our faces could easily work exactly the same way, shaping the data the eye receives to allow the brain to more easily and effectively build images from it.

So it could at least improve graphics for a significant portion of the population.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55913 on: August 09, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »

Some people can already see better graphics than others. We can help those who see less well with physical devices called glasses that do not connect to the brain - they just shape the light coming to the eyes to improve the person's visible resolution.

A screen directly in front of our faces could easily work exactly the same way, shaping the data the eye receives to allow the brain to more easily and effectively build images from it.

So it could at least improve graphics for a significant portion of the population.
Glasses just compensate for errors in the lens/length of the eye, they don't really have anything to do with visible resolution, which is hard to quantify when dealing with human sight anyway. You can't give a person that already sees well glasses so he sees even better, because there is nothing to compensate for. My point remains.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55914 on: August 09, 2014, 12:29:23 pm »

You could just compress it all instead.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55915 on: August 09, 2014, 12:35:14 pm »

how

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55916 on: August 09, 2014, 12:39:08 pm »

hook 7zip into the gpu

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55917 on: August 09, 2014, 12:47:25 pm »

how
So that a large portion of the EM spectrum is displayed within the range of coloured light. So maybe microwaves would be red and x-rays would be violet, for example.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55918 on: August 09, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »

how
So that a large portion of the EM spectrum is displayed within the range of coloured light. So maybe microwaves would be red and x-rays would be violet, for example.
you can't just do that without losing detail.
And I don't mean a little detail, you'll lose a lot, visible light is only a fairly small part of the spectrum.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:52:07 pm by miauw62 »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #55919 on: August 09, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »

Yeah, the optimal way to go would more likely be a sliding scale kind of deal, although I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like to experience.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 3726 3727 [3728] 3729 3730 ... 11037