Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3593 3594 [3595] 3596 3597 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474939 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53910 on: July 13, 2014, 03:48:43 am »

I like TES lore because it's so different from basically every other fantasy game ever.

Mostly because TES already runs on the assumption that history is completely subjective and that multiple contrary events can all be true. As well "past" and "Future" are meaningless terms as they both happen congruently.

Thus multiple authors can basically write anything they want.

My theory is that the reason for this is because the Elder Scroll universe is not "foretold" by the elder scrolls but created by it. Thus narrative contrivances become ingrained upon the universe. Either that or the laws of physics are very weak in Elder Scrolls and thus causality, time, and space are vague forces.

The basic TES lore is quite stereotypical at heart.

It was all but explicitly said in Morrowind that they became the skin of the Numidium. Morrowind only said explicitly that the Dwemer happened to all disappear at the exact moment that Kagrenac used his Tools to activate the Numidium, so that's the obvious connection.

You cannot claim absolute canon within elder scrolls because every possible event that could have created the situation all occurred and the final result is mostly unknown.

As well you especially cannot claim it because the Dwemer exist in the future and the past... thus they still exist in the present thanks to the way time works in Elder Scrolls.

---

Basically to understand the lore just remember this: Events can happen in any number of any order and can be as contrary to other events as possible and all be true... in fact any event, so long as it has multiple outcomes, all possible outcomes occur at the same time. This can even extend to "what ifs" as the entire reason for an event can be contradictory but still true.

In otherwords in Skyrim both the Imperials and the Nords won the war... The Azure star was both corrupted and purified...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:06:44 am by Neonivek »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53911 on: July 13, 2014, 04:18:13 am »

Excuse me, but it's Poland, not Polan.

Sorry, but the ad was so silly that Polan was perfectly suitable XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53913 on: July 13, 2014, 05:45:52 am »

Ad for a scrap yard in Polan
I cannot honestly say that I wouldn't do the same with those resources.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53914 on: July 13, 2014, 05:54:34 am »

If I didn't know that was for a scrapyard, I would have thought it was a low budget movie that somehow managed to get a tank.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #53915 on: July 13, 2014, 07:13:46 am »

I cannot honestly say that I wouldn't do the same with those resources.

*sniff*

For the first time in... ten years? I feel patriotic.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53916 on: July 13, 2014, 07:17:48 am »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53917 on: July 13, 2014, 08:42:41 am »

People are funding solar roadways in the millions, WTF >_>

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #53918 on: July 13, 2014, 08:47:09 am »

Solar roadways are stupid, but putting solar panels right above roadways might not be. Vertical spacing!

For that matter, asphalt gets so hot during the summer I wonder if you couldn't make that heat do something useful.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53919 on: July 13, 2014, 08:57:21 am »

District heating? Probably not hot enough for that...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #53920 on: July 13, 2014, 09:46:19 am »

There'd probably be structural problems with running pipes through roadways, too- they need to be thick enough to withstand having 18-wheelers above them, and if they're that thick they probably won't heat up very quickly. And asphalt doesn't warm up very much in winter, when you can use sub-boiling water to heat homes.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53921 on: July 13, 2014, 10:00:26 am »

But what... what are they even advertising?! :o
"Here at [NAME] scrapyard, we run things over with a tank! Yay!"
I mean sure, that's cool and all, but if I were considering a scrapyard to patronize I'd be more interested in... wait, what do people do at scrapyards, anyway? Fuck it, they have a tank, take my money already.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53922 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:29 am »

Went to KFC, ordered chicken.
Waited in drivethru, next to some employees that were on break.
Listen to them discuss amongst themselves how upset they are that they failed their last health check.
Found talon in my chicken.

I will not be going there again.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53923 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:37 am »

The last time I went to KFC (just for their fries, of course), they told me I had to be in a vehicle.
Mind you, the main part of their restaurant was closed for renovations, but they claimed that the drive-thru was open. >:(
Oh well, I'd rather not eat at such places anyway. I was just rather hungry at the time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53924 on: July 13, 2014, 11:44:44 am »

But what... what are they even advertising?! :o
"Here at [NAME] scrapyard, we run things over with a tank! Yay!"
I mean sure, that's cool and all, but if I were considering a scrapyard to patronize I'd be more interested in... wait, what do people do at scrapyards, anyway? Fuck it, they have a tank, take my money already.
At least here a scrapyard is a place you go if you need a part for something, usually a car. 

They tend to have big databases of all the big items on the lot and you can say yer looking for a part for a Geo Storm and they can say, something like "We have 2 Geo Storms over on Lot one, isle 3 section 4" then you go out there yourself find the cars, and see if they have the part you want.  Then you remove the part from the car take it to the office, pay a few bucks, bring the part home and use it.   It's far cheaper than buying the part from a parts store, but you have no guarantees the part actually works.

There's other things there too, you occasionally see episodes of mythbusters where they are obtaining parts for something from a scrapyard.  But I imagine most folks go for the car parts.

Which is something odd in that video, they are destroying a lot of stuff which kinda seems counter to a scrapyard's advantage of having a whole lot of everything, so if one don't have the part you need another might.   ...Wait what am I saying.  Tank.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:50:13 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3593 3594 [3595] 3596 3597 ... 11037