Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3510 3511 [3512] 3513 3514 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440076 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52665 on: June 28, 2014, 07:58:01 pm »

Which brings me to a similar topic: I think it isn't quite... right that every computer in my school has Windows for an OS.
What's not-right about that?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52666 on: June 28, 2014, 07:58:54 pm »

Which brings me to a similar topic: I think it isn't quite... right that every computer in my school has Windows for an OS.
Windows is the cheapest (linux is free but whatever) and comes in default on most computers nowadays, I'm not quite sure either.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52667 on: June 28, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »

Windows is the cheapest (linux is free but whatever) and comes in default on most computers nowadays, I'm not quite sure either.
I think he was talking about how all school computers have the original windows.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52668 on: June 28, 2014, 08:00:21 pm »

I suggest you daub the laptop in pitch and set it alight.
It's the only way.

I am rather tempted.

When I originally got it, being told that the issue was that "it couldn't connect to the internet", I thought it was something trivial.

Like the fact that she doesn't actually have internet at her trailer.

I took a look at the programs list, and some of the programs refuse to uninstall. A lot of programs refuse to open, with the only successful ones so far being internet explorer, which won't work, and solitaire. It can't shut down on its own, and has to be smothered via the power button.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52669 on: June 28, 2014, 08:01:03 pm »

I think he was talking about how all school computers have the original windows.
I find that hard to believe. Can you even buy it anymore?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52670 on: June 28, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »

My nan gave me her laptop, so I can fix it.

It is borked. It cannot connect to the internet because of a redirect virus that always sends it to a non-existant page, no matter what you type into the address bar.

The thing is loaded with adware, and she has no functioning anti-virus software or cleaning tools of any kind.

She does have one anti-virus program, but it refuses to open. Likely because it has either been blocked by a virus or it is programmed not to function unless it is up to date.

Reminds me of a time my computer whiz father got a friend's machine with a request to "make it run faster".

For starters, when you opened the internet browser, like half the screen was blocked with toolbars and stuff. It was outrageous.
Spoiler: Wot? (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52671 on: June 28, 2014, 08:03:55 pm »

Jesus christ how horrifying

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52673 on: June 28, 2014, 08:05:35 pm »

It's the only way.

I am rather tempted.

When I originally got it, being told that the issue was that "it couldn't connect to the internet", I thought it was something trivial.

I took a look at the programs list, and some of the programs refuse to uninstall. A lot of programs refuse to open, with the only successful ones so far being internet explorer, which won't work, and solitaire. It can't shut down on its own, and has to be smothered via the power button.
I suppose she will mind if you just install linux via LiveUSB over everything else? That would solve most of your problems.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #52674 on: June 28, 2014, 08:06:33 pm »

I find that hard to believe. Can you even buy it anymore?
My point is that all the internet resources the school has are from a for-profit company.

Not to mention they all have Vista or whatever windows is running nowadays.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52675 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18:51 pm »

Should be Windows 7.  Also, it's safer legally for schools and other public institutions to buy equipment from those for-profit companies.  It also provides a standard to which they can put everything at (specific images and such).  Normally I'd list all the reasons but I've got a headache and it's a wee bit hard to think right now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52676 on: June 28, 2014, 08:44:07 pm »

Jesus christ how horrifying
I wasn't aware winamp even had a browser toolbar and I've been using it for as long as I've owned a computer..

Let me guess she's one of those people that insists they have to log into AOL to access the internet too.

EDIT I derped and thought that was a screenshot from the computer BlackFlyme was working on.  then I saw it was on a virtual install.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:53:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52677 on: June 28, 2014, 08:44:44 pm »

It's the only way.

I am rather tempted.

Well, without forcing it into safe mode and a flash driveful full of spybot/hitman/combofix/other antimalware programs running during safe mode, an LTS version of Linux Mint is probably the best option left for trying to look close to what windows looks like.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52678 on: June 28, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »

Well, without forcing it into safe mode and a flash driveful full of spybot/hitman/combofix/other antimalware programs running during safe mode, an LTS version of Linux Mint is probably the best option left for trying to look close to what windows looks like.

I think the thing is a complete write-off, personally.

It is extremely unresponsive, and was a poor computer when it ran properly.

Would just be better to get a new one, though there would still be the problem of trying to teach my nan basic computer use.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52679 on: June 28, 2014, 08:52:59 pm »

If she had the repair disk that came with her computer you might be able to revert to factory.  That might make it like a new computer without the bill.   Will need to back up pictures and documents first of course.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3510 3511 [3512] 3513 3514 ... 11040