Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460655 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #5055 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:27 pm »

[link=http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/articles/486/]Another[/link].
Creativity is a highly sought after skill. To inspire people’s creativity, prescriptive advice in the form of metaphors abound: We are encouraged to think outside the box, to consider the problem on one hand, then on the other hand, and to put two and two together to achieve creative breakthroughs. These metaphors suggest a connection between concrete bodily experiences and creative cognition. Inspired by recent advances on body-mind linkages under the emerging vernacular of embodied cognition, we explored for the first time whether enacting metaphors for creativity enhances creative problem-solving. In five studies, findings revealed that both physically and psychologically embodying creative metaphors promote fluency, flexibility, and/or originality in problem-solving. Going beyond prior research that focused primarily on the kind of embodiment that primes preexisting knowledge, we provide the first evidence that embodiment can also activate cognitive processes conducive for generating previously unknown ideas and connections.
In short? They put people in boxes to see if the metaphor works.

In short? They put people in boxes to see if the metaphor works.

They put people in boxes to see if the metaphor works.

They put people in boxes

WE'RE DOOMED.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: February 13, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »

[url ] (no space), not [link]
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5057 on: February 13, 2012, 07:38:15 pm »

Okay, so they tried to get people to think outside the box by literally putting them in a box and making them think.

Was this study run by sentient computers studying human emotion or something?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »

My question is why they didn't do a dual trial by also putting a chunk of Polonium in each of the boxes as well, and then seal them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:24 pm »

First time I've made that mistake in years. Serves me right for being lazy and copying nearly the same post to two forums...
Okay, so they tried to get people to think outside the box by literally putting them in a box and making them think.

Was this study run by sentient computers studying human emotion or something?
The weirdest thing is that all five metaphors they tested seem to have some validity, at least in their weird-ass experiments.

ToothedCube

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Rogueish charm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: February 14, 2012, 05:20:20 am »

Had the weirdest day ever today.
It started off pretty normally for me, I went swimming with my brother in the pool in our backyard, we both had a couple of drinks, nothing particularly crazy. When we got out I noticed the side of the house's sliding door had come away from the glass part of the door. When I asked my brother about this, he revealed that it popped out when he opened the door (or something like that)
I then decided to attempt to fix the door by hand despite my complete lack of DIY skills. This situation was made all the more complicated by my drunk brother refusing to speak in any volume other than the kind you'd use to talk to a slightly deaf friend from across a party which is situated in the middle of a wind tunnel, and the fact that our dad was asleep, and that every time i reminded him to be quiet he reprimanded me in a louder voice. He then got frustrated with me and went for a walk, but now he's just watching TV.

The door's still not fixed either  :-\

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: February 14, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »

Got a candy gram at work today.  From "Your pal"  note on the side says "call me" with a little heart next to it.

No clue who it's from.  None.  The thing that really throws me is the little heart.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: February 14, 2012, 04:29:52 pm »

Got a candy gram at work today.  From "Your pal"  note on the side says "call me" with a little heart next to it.

No clue who it's from.  None.  The thing that really throws me is the little heart.
Think nothing of it, they just watch a lot of Day[9].
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5063 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »

You went back in time and sent it to yourself. It's a new form of trans-timeline trolling.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: February 14, 2012, 04:37:46 pm »

You went back in time and sent it to yourself. It's a new form of trans-timeline trolling.

This.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: February 14, 2012, 04:45:34 pm »

Think nothing of it, they just watch a lot of Day[9].

*googles*.... Starcraft?... No one here plays Starcraft that I know of... obscure subcultural reference appears clever but unproductive...

hmm... this is too fucking awkward for a guy whose wife is incredibly prone to angry irrational jealousy...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: February 14, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »

Then the only remaining possibility is the time-line trolling. Future you is kind of a dick.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: February 14, 2012, 04:54:06 pm »

Damn... I'm such a dick!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: February 14, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »

Workplace is a dick too, not letting me see that image.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: February 14, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »

Crosses over with "fucking terrifying" material, but heard this little gem on the radio into work this morning.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 11040