Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3217 3218 [3219] 3220 3221 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14426437 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #48270 on: April 30, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

OpenOffice is pretty crappy because its not getting updated. LibreOffice looks pretty decent.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48271 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »

Sometimes the workers are just more comfortable with MS Office, maybe they've used it in the past or something.

If you've suggested it once, and tried to get the switch to happen and it just didn't take, sometimes you just have to do what the masses demand, even when an educated person knows it is not the best choice.   The users comfort with the software is often just as important as the functionality.

And yea OpenOffice has kinda dropped off lately.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48272 on: April 30, 2014, 02:51:44 pm »

God damn.  People in my workplace do not like to use OpenOffice, much rather preferring Microsoft Office.  The 'free trials' have expired and they are asking me to give Microsoft money now.
Isn't there someone in the management of the place you can convince that this is a waste of money when there are free and viable alternatives?
Actually, I'm one of the purchasing agents and the very cheap 'IT guy'... so I'm the one that has been trying to push OpenOffice to everyone.  A number of my co-workers have expressed their dislike of OpenOffice, which they have been doing for awhile now actually. 
Well at least it is a small number of them... and at least OpenOffice can use Microsoft Office files.

It does not help that single purchases of Microsoft Office are extravagantly priced... and alternatives are subscription based.   Bah...  With my luck, Microsoft Office is going to play dirty and try to make their files incompatible down the line.   More headaches!

OpenOffice is pretty crappy because its not getting updated. LibreOffice looks pretty decent.
I guess I could try introducing LibreOffice, they can open up microsoft office stuff too right?

I personally don't care about getting updates.  What I care about is if it works or not though.

Sometimes the workers are just more comfortable with MS Office, maybe they've used it in the past or something.
  This I reckon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48273 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:19 pm »

I just saw someone try to argue that circumcision is a civil rights issue. As in, the men are being violated by circumcision and that they have a right to that piece of skin.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48274 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:07 pm »

They kind of are, and they do. :V

Bein' done when you're a baby and thus can't consent, and it's not a life-saving medical procedure.

Nevermind the con/pros thing, studies say it's got a lot more cons than pros and the pros are rather shaky but that's besides the point. It's basic medical ethics: Patient needs to consent, unless it's life-threatening, and even then, sometimes the patients desires over-ride that.

(Parents having dictatorial control over their children is another thorny issue)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:11:39 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48275 on: April 30, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »

Yeah, I was trying hard to find the WTF in that post, but I just assumed I was missing something in my half-asleep state.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48276 on: April 30, 2014, 03:16:13 pm »

I'm just going to post the thread of conversation for context:

[Comment section of an article about gay rights]
Quote from: Commenter A
It never ceases to sicken me that while I can find instances of real, personal and painful damage inflicted on my fellow countrymen and human beings by discriminatory laws designed to deprive gay people of their rights, I have yet to find the same harm done to the people fighting so hard to keep on discriminating.
Quote from: Commenter B
circumcision- In America we are still denying a males right to his body
Quote from: Commenter C
Well, that's not exactly true in the legal sense. There is no law forcing infant circumcision. It's a choice made by parents, though it is heavily influenced and encouraged by the healthcare industry, cultural norms, and some religions.
Quote from: Commenter B
If a womens body is her own than a mans body should be too. We do not scarify girls why do we scarify boys? It is barbaric mutilation and a civil rights issue

Part of the WTF is that they brought it up in this context, this way. This was the direct line of comments. It's just out of place.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48277 on: April 30, 2014, 03:20:15 pm »

So my friend went to Belgium for a science conference. Brought me craptons of chocolate and stuff, and also a question.

Is it true that Belgium has 50 Shades of Grey on the cirriculum for literature class, or is somebody pulling my leg? Please don't hate me, I am clueless.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #48278 on: April 30, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »

Whooaaa what the hell? Brigade E5 and 7.62 are on steam now.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48279 on: April 30, 2014, 04:08:33 pm »

Are they... good?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48280 on: April 30, 2014, 04:11:53 pm »

That's terrible. Nobody should buy 7.62mm unless they know exactly what they're getting into, which Steam doesn't really provide. Not only is the game insanely buggy (there is a mod that improves this a fair bit, but adds problems of it's own), but it is machoistically difficult, and the level of detail (tracking individual rounds of ammunition and individual grenade fragments) is more than most people really want to bother with. Also, the translation is terrible.

I'm somewhat fond of the game, but it is an extremely niche product.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #48281 on: April 30, 2014, 04:15:10 pm »

Not sure what's going on in this thread but Imma drop in this snippet from someone I know whose infant daughter currently has an eye infection:

putting colloidal silver in her eyes

I really wish it wasn't as bad in context.

(Might be the wrong thread for this, I'm too sweet and naive to know)
This belongs in the rage thread. Colloidal silver is not a substitute for antibiotics, and the only people who will tell you that it is are gullible idiots and hucksters.

Bleh. There was a time when I would have gone all Science Crusader on her and raged for hours about how that stuff doesn't work very well and it's completely unregulated and it'll probably turn the poor kid grey (assuming that it's actually colloidal silver in the bottle and not just mislabelled tap water) etc. etc. etc., but I've since kind of resigned myself to the fact that people like this collectively live in a weird fantasy world where they're somehow smarter than everyone else for using 'alternative' medicines the efficacy of which are at best unproven and at worst debunked outright. Upon seeing her post, I simply did a double take, thought "In her EYES!? Is that even safe?" and continued about my business.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48282 on: April 30, 2014, 04:32:21 pm »

That's terrible. Nobody should buy 7.62mm unless they know exactly what they're getting into, which Steam doesn't really provide. Not only is the game insanely buggy (there is a mod that improves this a fair bit, but adds problems of it's own), but it is machoistically difficult, and the level of detail (tracking individual rounds of ammunition and individual grenade fragments) is more than most people really want to bother with. Also, the translation is terrible.

I'm somewhat fond of the game, but it is an extremely niche product.

My gods, that sounds hilarious.
I'd snap it up, but glancing at it I'm unsure if it would run on the cinderblock I like to pretend is a computer. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #48283 on: April 30, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »

It ran on my old peice of shit with a 64mb video card at least somewhat. But that thing also got 60fps on stalker: SoC somehow. Apparently the blue sun mod or whatever is around on steam beta too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48284 on: April 30, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »

Mercury thiocyanate. AKA the toxic chemical that turns into magic carbon snakes!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 3217 3218 [3219] 3220 3221 ... 11039