Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3145 3146 [3147] 3148 3149 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461809 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #47190 on: April 11, 2014, 08:59:54 am »

Life is a roguelike. You have to decide where to allocate your education points, your starting rolls are pseudorandom, and you spend most of it working to get loot so that you can buy more stuff, so that you can continue to get more loot. Then you die, occasionally by YASD.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47191 on: April 11, 2014, 10:38:59 am »

The definition has expanded. It will likely expand more. It will never reach omnidefinitional -- applicable to anything -- to any meaningful degree. Suck it up. More investigations into the central themes and methodologies of the overarching roguelike genre is a good thing. Let it be good. Embrace the change. Enjoy the new roguelikes.

It's getting close enough when a game like Rogue Legacy, which has exactly one thing in common with other Roguelikes (randomly generated dungeons) is somehow considered a "Roguelike".

I love the game, but the thought never even occurred to me that it's espousing itself as a Roguelike. It sold me on gameplay footage alone, so I never really looked up any other media about it...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47192 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:46 am »

It's a Roguelikelikelike.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47193 on: April 11, 2014, 11:20:47 am »

Except Rogue Legacy has considerably more in common with roguelikes than just the random generation. Going by, say, the Berlin interpretation, the game also shares permadeath -- albeit one with inheritance and whatnot (which, hey, isn't exactly too far off from, say, ToME4's unlocks, particularly stuff like the transmog chest.) -- as much non-modality as something like ADOM, sufficient complexity, resource management, hack'n'slash focus, and a strong exploration and discovery focus. It's not turn or particularly grid based, but... eh. That's pretty much every high-value factor, and it hits most of the low-value ones, too. It'll fit pretty well with other RLs for most definitions that don't explicitly require turn based or ASCII or something silly like that, really.

Legacy's a roguelike roughly in the same way Spelunky is, y'know? Or something like Red Rogue, or Wazhack. Which is to say it is one. Non-traditional, sure, but the shoe still fits snugly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47194 on: April 11, 2014, 12:37:18 pm »

See, look, I disagree with the whole "permadeath" thing. It has a tally of your deaths and your death changes the dungeon around, but dying and bosses are the only way to make real progress (I think DF isn't too roguelike for a similar reason--even death progresses the game, while in most roguelikes it ends the game). Not only that, but the resource management is limited almost entirely to mana woes--HP recovery items aren't exactly something you carry around.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #47195 on: April 11, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

So I was playing europa universalis 3 cause I got it for free on steam somehow. First time playing so I just took earliest date Castille cause it was supposedly easy. I follow the games suggestions on what I should do and it goes like this:

Befriend Portugal - Sounds easy enough.
Marry some Portuguese royalty to cement ties - Just like CK2 then.
KILL ALL PORTUGUESE - Uuh, o-okay? I quess I'll try if its part of the tutorial or something?

Portugal calls in its allies and they call their allies. End of story. I was expecting that to go better than that.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47196 on: April 11, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »

Tutorial? I don't think EU3 has a tutorial...

Wait, are you talking about the missions? Those aren't tutorials :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47197 on: April 11, 2014, 01:28:37 pm »

Yeah, the missions are just suggestions for courses of action that reward you if you don't fuck up. You can drop one and wait a bit for a new one.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #47198 on: April 11, 2014, 02:43:17 pm »

On the rougelike argument topic:

My definition of rougelike goes as follows:
-ASCII default graphics (most of the time tilesets are OK)
-If you're dead, you're dead
-World is randomly generated

None of the following are under my definition:
-World deletion after death: May be on honor system, may be installed in game; not necessary part of game.
-The game being completely over after death: Deaths may impact future games, they may not. Even NetHack has dead players' graves.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #47199 on: April 11, 2014, 02:55:22 pm »

-ASCII default graphics (most of the time tilesets are OK)

This would disqualify Sword of the stars: The pit, Dungeons of Dredmore, desktop dungeons, DooMRL since the graphics update and ToME since version 4 or so. All of which are most assuredly rougelikes. Graphics don't make a Rougelike.

Edit: I actually forgot about FTL too, that's also one. And all of these either never had a console mode, or had it removed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:03:13 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #47200 on: April 11, 2014, 02:56:36 pm »

Rogue Legacy is a roguelike with a meta-game that spans your repeated deaths. That was obviously the designer's intention from the start. Yeah, the game's gimmick messes with one of the fundamental aspects of the genre, but I don't think that alone is enough to kick it out of the genre.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47201 on: April 11, 2014, 03:26:04 pm »

Edit: I actually forgot about FTL too, that's also one. And all of these either never had a console mode, or had it removed.

Rogue Legacy is way more of a roguelike than FTL is. Nothing about FTL actually feels like a roguelike to me anyway, while as Rogue Legacy feels how you'd expect a roguelike-platformer to feel.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47202 on: April 11, 2014, 03:46:52 pm »

Test today had some of the questions repeated several times. I compared the questions and they were word-for-word the same.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47203 on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:52 pm »

Reminds me of something back then, I borrowed some old exams from the school library for practice and about 1/3 of the questions were word-per-word the same.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47204 on: April 11, 2014, 03:53:38 pm »

See, I consider Baroque to be a roguelike, despite the fact that it's a first/third person 3D console action game.

It also has randomly generated levels that change each time, item identification and inventory management as a major focus, a hunger system, and a variation on permadeath (dying returns you to the start of the dungeon minus all your items and levels).

I guess my definition of a roguelike is "it feels like I'm playing a roguelike when I play it". :P
Pages: 1 ... 3145 3146 [3147] 3148 3149 ... 11040