Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2964 2965 [2966] 2967 2968 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13662288 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44475 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:16 pm »

Electronics are so completely arbitrary in their malfunctions its a wonder we didn't decide to scrap the damn things and go back to cave-painting.

Why, laptop.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44477 on: February 20, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »

Electronics are so completely arbitrary in their malfunctions its a wonder we didn't decide to scrap the damn things and go back to cave-painting.

Why, laptop.

The other day, a heat sink near one of my desktop's processors fell off.  Computer is now fried.

I've had it for almost 11 years, but that was an unexpected end.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44478 on: February 20, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »

The other day, a heat sink near one of my desktop's processors fell off.  Computer is now fried.

I've had it for almost 11 years, but that was an unexpected end.

o_o

*Checks heatsink habitually now just in case
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44479 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »

When you have a computer as old as I did, any number of crazy things could go wrong.  It's amazing it hung together so long.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44480 on: February 20, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »

Finally, I'm going to go there: stop breeding pit bulls, people. All you see are news stories where the wailing mother says "the dog was so wonderful and then one day it just snapped!" and that's a best-case scenario where the dog is nominally okay but may turn into a murderhound at any moment. Worst-case, it's a jackass who wants the dog because he can beat it and make it mean so it'll kill whoever tries to break into his house. There's a reason dogs bred for fighting have a bad reputation. Why is it illegal to have a bobcat or an alligator but if you want the biggest, meanest, deadliest dog it's totally fine?
Dogs don't work that way. People are just shit at taking care of them.
Like, they'll act all submissive to the dog all the time, then they'll lean over it or look at in the eye or something and it'll go to assert the dominance that it's been allowed to have.
This, so much. Some of the happiest, pet-happy, oversized lapdogs I've known of were pitbulls. Blame the people who don't train their dogs.
I sincerely hope your dogs never randomly snap and kill something like a lot of other pits seem to do despite having no previous indication they would ever be anything but an oversized lapdog.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44481 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:22 pm »

Good, because in all likelihood, that won't happen.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44482 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:33 pm »

I probably won't get struck by lightning, but you won't see me dancing around in a thunderstorm with golf clubs taped together either.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44483 on: February 20, 2014, 01:43:11 pm »

Finally, I'm going to go there: stop breeding pit bulls, people. All you see are news stories where the wailing mother says "the dog was so wonderful and then one day it just snapped!" and that's a best-case scenario where the dog is nominally okay but may turn into a murderhound at any moment. Worst-case, it's a jackass who wants the dog because he can beat it and make it mean so it'll kill whoever tries to break into his house. There's a reason dogs bred for fighting have a bad reputation. Why is it illegal to have a bobcat or an alligator but if you want the biggest, meanest, deadliest dog it's totally fine?
Dogs don't work that way. People are just shit at taking care of them.
Like, they'll act all submissive to the dog all the time, then they'll lean over it or look at in the eye or something and it'll go to assert the dominance that it's been allowed to have.
This, so much. Some of the happiest, pet-happy, oversized lapdogs I've known of were pitbulls. Blame the people who don't train their dogs.
I sincerely hope your dogs never randomly snap and kill something like a lot of other pits seem to do despite having no previous indication they would ever be anything but an oversized lapdog.
The dogs that snap for "no reason" don't really snap for no reason. People just don't understand dogs' social habits well enough.

EDIT: I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that pitbulls are inherently more dangerous that other dogs?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44484 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:09 pm »

LeoLeonardoIII - I just want to let you know that your posts make me very angry, and thus I can not really respond to them in an effective manner.

You have clearly demonstrated, however, that you don't particularly understand other people or why they might have values you don't share.

That is all.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #44485 on: February 20, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »

I probably won't get struck by lightning, but you won't see me dancing around in a thunderstorm with golf clubs taped together either.
I've tried this. It's not as hazardous as you'd think.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44486 on: February 20, 2014, 01:58:02 pm »

LeoLeonardoIII - I just want to let you know that your posts make me very angry, and thus I can not really respond to them in an effective manner.

You have clearly demonstrated, however, that you don't particularly understand other people or why they might have values you don't share.

That is all.
Sorry about that GlyphGryph. I'm not trying to make you guys angry, I'm trying to vent various frustrations. I do take exception to your claim that I don't understand other people. My views don't always match up with everyone else's, which is totally fine. There are people who go to church and tithe and pray and do community stuff related to that - it doesn't mean I don't understand why they do it or their viewpoint just because I don't do those things. When you lead an examined life you kinda have to examine other people's lives too, otherwise you're only feeling part of the elephant.

EDIT: There may be an impression that I don't lend much credence to someone else's opinion, for example if I think it's a dumb opinion. That's fine too. Some people are wrong about some things - heck, I'm wrong about stuff too sometimes. Believing that someone is an ignorant jackass isn't necessarily always intolerant and narrowminded - sometimes, an ignorant jackass really is just an ignorant jackass.

The question is whether I'm actually that jackass, whether I've fooled myself into believing that I'm right through circular, specious reasoning and flawed source material. I'm confident that at least my consideration of that possibility elevates me above the baser types of jackass and suggests that I'm actually openminded but once I settle upon something close to truth I'm willing to stand firm on it unless better evidence comes along.

Here's a great example. Searching for info online about dangerous dog breeds results in some expected conclusions: everyone is really biased. When you open a website you can tell whether it's going to be pro-pit or anti-pit. They both cite sources but you don't know how good the sources are. The CDC, which you would expect to be disinterested in the subject, suggests that pits are not especially likely to cause a fatality when you consider their high population - the chance of being attacked by any given pit is the same as the chance to be attacked by any given random dog. But if you are attacked, it's probably gonna be a pit just because the population is so high. However the CDC talks about breed-specific fatalities, while recognizing that fatalities are an extreme minority of attacks, and that we should really be talking about attacks that are bad enough to enter an emergency room.

Go outside a .gov and you're getting into bleeding heart territory - whether biased in favor of pits (animal welfare organizations) or against them (which seem to just be organizations that ... don't like pits? weird). A common thread in anti-pit sites is studies that look exclusively at fatality or emergency room incidents, not a rate per 10k animals, for which pits are far and away the highest contributor. The pro-pit sites cite studies similar to the CDC but occasionally go overboard, trying to make pits out to be angels made of butter and marshmallow fluff. The truth is likely closer to the CDC analysis.

Which means, upon doing some research, I've changed my mind. I'd amend my previous complaint about pits to include all dogs:

Finally, I'm going to go there: stop raising fighting dogs (like people do all the time with pit bulls and rottweilers), people. All you see are news stories where the wailing mother says "the dog was so wonderful and then one day it just snapped!" and that's a best-case scenario where the dog is nominally okay but may turn into a murderhound at any moment. Worst-case, it's a jackass who wants the dog because he can beat it and make it mean so it'll kill whoever tries to break into his house. There's a reason dogs bred for fighting have a bad reputation. Why is it illegal to have a bobcat or an alligator but if you want the biggest, meanest, deadliest dog it's totally fine?

I know it's only a change of one phrase, but it's more accurate. The whole statement still stands. Why do we see such a majority of pit bull population as pets? It can't be that everyone just looves that little kissy face.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:19:11 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #44487 on: February 20, 2014, 01:58:18 pm »

Apparently Steam has trouble with recommended categories :P

I for one find it hillarious. Wiiiith some WTF mixed in :3
Steam think I'm cheap. The tags I got are "action", "independant", "free", "adventure" and "sandbox".
I'm okay with indie and sandbox, but I think that the other three are biased by the 500 hours I dumped into warframe.
Otherwise I'm more of a 4X guy.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44488 on: February 20, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »

Zangi levels up driving stat. 
New skill unlocked; driving at 'normal' speed with left knee on non-curve intensive road.  Bonus sub-skill, eat with 2 hands while driving.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44489 on: February 20, 2014, 02:37:34 pm »

i would slap you but the time you will crash into something using that skill will be more painful
Pages: 1 ... 2964 2965 [2966] 2967 2968 ... 11004