Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2952 2953 [2954] 2955 2956 ... 11003

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13653885 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44295 on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »

I can't imagine Voldemort's people would be the kind to believe that halfbloods can produce purebloods. Of course, logically that means almost nobody is actually a pureblood, which is itself kind of a brilliant realization of how crazy such ideas of purity actually are.
This is actually pointed out several times in the series. I believe Sirius talks about how all the "pureblood" families are rather interelated because there wouldn't be enough of them left otherwise. The vast majority of wizardkind are either "halfbloods" or Muggle-born themselves.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44296 on: February 17, 2014, 10:02:08 pm »

Which yeah, for those keeping track, did mean that Harry and Ginny were probably related to some degree. Nevermind the potential oedipal implications, they were most likely cousins. Distant ones, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44297 on: February 17, 2014, 10:02:29 pm »

This psych course has led me to such interesting places, did you know that according to the margin of my textbook, Harry Potter is a good illustration of the nature-nurture interaction, being that he was born to pureblooded parents, but raised by muggles, he had natural magical ability, but it didn't flourish until he went to Hogwarts...
... he wasn't born to pureblooded parents (Only his father was, Lily was muggleborn), and it's kinda' arguable he flourished at all, from what I recall. Only had one particularly innate magical ability, too (parseltongue, and it's arguable that that was actually natural), if I'm not misremembering -- the rest of it largely required training to be more than random discharges. Critter's a pretty strong case for the majority of nature being bollocks, from what I've seen (great deal of HP's actions can be fairly easily slotted in to the predictable behavioral patterns of someone that's gone through what he has). Plenty of fanfiction makes good (and bad, and mediocre, and ungodly terrible) investigations into the subject.
Are you really going to argue with a peer reviewed psychology textbook on the nature of Harry Potter's magical abilities?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44298 on: February 17, 2014, 10:03:31 pm »

With what's written in the margins? In a heartbeat :P

And seriously, I am/was a philosophy major. It's like half my academic mandate to crap all over scientific methodology, especially in softer fields like psychology. Part of the job these days is helping make sure those twits don't start doing stupid(er than normal) stuff. E: 'Course, better than half the time they don't listen, and then you get stuff like the worser parts of evo psych, but damnit, we're supposed to be trying.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:07:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #44299 on: February 17, 2014, 10:06:13 pm »

With what's written in the margins? In a heartbeat :P
How do you know they weren't peer reviewed margins?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #44300 on: February 17, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »

Which yeah, for those keeping track, did mean that Harry and Ginny were probably related to some degree. Nevermind the potential oedipal implications, they were most likely cousins. Distant ones, but...
Every human's a distant cousin.
Besides, it worked for Tywin Lannister, and his kids turned out okay.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44301 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:23 pm »

So, my brother has been addicted to World of Tanks since December (I mean addicted. When he's not playing it, he checks his stats on the World of Tanks stats app on his phone, watching "professional" World of Tanks competitions on his phone, or talking about how awesome it is.

Then he got my dad addicted, too. So my dad plays World of Tanks pretty much any time neither my brother nor myself is using the computer it's on, and because he has the password to the account most of the games are on, he gets dibs every time the computer starts up.

Anyway, my dad also checks his email compulsively even though he never gets much. He just came in to check it on the laptop I'm using right now. I pointed out that the WoT window isn't full-screen, so he could just minimize it between matches and check his email on the other computer. He just gave me this deer-in-headlights look.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #44302 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:38 pm »

For some reason when I go on twitch since I got my new computer the chats never load! They just have the dotted circle spinning forever and ever! The only advice help websites have besides installing plugins I already have is to go into the flash plugins manager, but when I go to the page they request, it refuses to let me put checkmarks into the options I need to modify.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44303 on: February 17, 2014, 10:59:11 pm »

I see what you did there.

That aside, the whole "kissing cousins everywhere = crazy everywhere" tends to apply to any tight-knit group of individuals who, for one reason or another, are determined to only do the nasty with people they see at family reunions.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44304 on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:36 am »

Why do tabloid magazines smell so delicious?
Getting a noseful here on the train and it's making me hungry.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #44305 on: February 18, 2014, 02:51:01 am »

Yeah, I died. The speech and stuff is a bit out-of-order, but I'm fairly happy with the battle.

I'm probably going to rule the world as a pet rock now. HUZZAH!
OOT bit, but that was quite fantastic read. Thank you.

(And I'd rather worship Epithus, that Kai seems like a flashy, arrogant fool. :P)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #44306 on: February 18, 2014, 05:30:33 am »

Yeah, I died. The speech and stuff is a bit out-of-order, but I'm fairly happy with the battle.

I'm probably going to rule the world as a pet rock now. HUZZAH!
OOT bit, but that was quite fantastic read. Thank you.

(And I'd rather worship Epithus, that Kai seems like a flashy, arrogant fool. :P)

Thanks! Yeah, I agree with your opinion on Epithus and Kai. Anyway, because I'm a long-runner and have had much bad luck over the course of the game anyway, the GM (Praise be to the Liver!) has allowed me to create my new character this turn. Mote-Maiyeisha, the friendly neighbourhood Goddess of Undeath, has been born!

Did anyone read through the whole thing? I got a lot of fails (being clawed in the face by an Eldritch Abomination, accidentally destroying my city, annoying Queen Dido a lot...) in Epithus's life.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44307 on: February 18, 2014, 05:34:56 am »

I see what you did there.

That aside, the whole "kissing cousins everywhere = crazy everywhere" tends to apply to any tight-knit group of individuals who, for one reason or another, are determined to only do the nasty with people they see at family reunions.

Pretty much. There was a minimum defined somewhere, though I don't remember where. Separation three generations back (i.e. your great-grandparents other child's family line) is probably safe enough.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44308 on: February 18, 2014, 09:21:41 am »

So I had a lot of forewarning that there would probably be a school closure today because of extremely heavy snow. I get up this morning, look outside, and realize that the guy who does our snow plowing seems to have gotten his plowing truck stuck in our driveway...

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #44309 on: February 18, 2014, 09:44:50 am »

Pnx: that's kinda hilarious...but probably also a pain in the ass for all involved, sorry for laughing.

Did anyone read through the whole thing? I got a lot of fails (being clawed in the face by an Eldritch Abomination, accidentally destroying my city, annoying Queen Dido a lot...) in Epithus's life.
I actually started reading from the beginning after you asked...and it seems pretty cool! Actually make me wanna play forum games like that sometimes in the future.

Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 2952 2953 [2954] 2955 2956 ... 11003