Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2755 2756 [2757] 2758 2759 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471168 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41340 on: December 14, 2013, 11:56:28 am »

By Orks.
Birds and humans really notice red above other colours for some reason.

Presumably the only natural predator of the red car is the magpie, ork and human.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41341 on: December 14, 2013, 01:40:33 pm »

Download: 1.19 mb/s
Upload: 0.36 mb/s

I think I have the worst internet on Bay 12. That is an ambitious statement though.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41342 on: December 14, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »

Download: 1.19 mb/s
Upload: 0.36 mb/s

I think I have the worst internet on Bay 12. That is an ambitious statement though.
I believe you're wrong, although this post is almost half a year old now:
I have dial-up, and it takes me nearly an hour to download a 10mb file like Dwarf Fortress.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #41343 on: December 14, 2013, 02:38:21 pm »

The slowdowns I experience may be more to do with this being an internet shared between two 4-story high houses-converted-to-flats, which is a lot of people on one internet connection, and a landlord who seems to think the solution is "more repeaters".
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:40:56 pm by MorleyDev »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41344 on: December 14, 2013, 02:42:13 pm »

I had dial up until 2006, indeed I had never played an online game until that year, but there's people near me who are forced to use dial up. It's a sorry state of affairs.

The problem is that I can't upgrade because my provider, BT, don't offer anything else (they don't plan on upgrading the infrastructure because there's no money in it) and they also own the local exchange and infrastructure because they were formerly a nationalised company. If I try to go to a different provider they still use BT-owned infrastructure and whenever anything goes wrong (i.e. a local idiot shoots the telephone cables with his shotgun) BT prioritise their own customers over the customers of another company, so I get shafted and they take even longer to repair my connection.

The result is I'm stuck watching youtube videos in 240p/360p, leaving my computer on for days at a time to download 20 gigabyte games and being completely unable to watch streams. The only options are leaving or staying and just tholing it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:46:45 pm by Owlbread »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41345 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:13 pm »

73 ping
5.30 mb/s
0.70 mb/s

My cap is supposed to be 5.00 mb/s...  I cannot get any better then this speed, since noone else really serves where I am.  This is the only plan that verizon offers for my location.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #41346 on: December 14, 2013, 03:02:58 pm »

Since I can't use flash, I used this instead.
Download Speed: 1.38 Mb/s
Upload Speed: 810 Kb/s
Which is only terrible for me when everyone else uses the Internet too. It's perfectly fine otherwise.

Seriously SealyStar, what is it you do with you computer and/or Internet to make ten times my abilities too slow for you? And, no, it doesn't take ten minutes to read a page of these forums with my Internet, nor is there any reason why it should (it can take an extra minute if there are a lot of images, but that's it).

I'm really, really curious, because I can manage perfectly OK with 1/10 of your capabilities.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41347 on: December 14, 2013, 03:10:20 pm »

Seriously SealyStar, what is it you do with you computer and/or Internet to make ten times my abilities too slow for you? And, no, it doesn't take ten minutes to read a page of these forums with my Internet, nor is there any reason why it should (it can take an extra minute if there are a lot of images, but that's it).

I'm really, really curious, because I can manage perfectly OK with 1/10 of your capabilities.

Maybe his internet is selective when it comes to being fast?
Maybe in an optimal enviroment when connecting to a server nearby it shows as fast but when trying to gfetch data from further away it goes belly up?
Or his PC is slow and acts as the bottleneck.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41348 on: December 14, 2013, 03:24:29 pm »

That is a lot easier on my computer than that speedtest site, which drags my browser to a screaming halt due, near as I can tell, to shitty flash based ads. Or something, I'unno. Closed the bloody page as soon as my browser started responding again.

... color me also interested, though. I've only got a little better than you, lue, and it works well enough for just about everything but watching high def streamed stuff or playing games with absolutely horrible net code.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41349 on: December 14, 2013, 03:28:16 pm »

Maybe his internet is selective when it comes to being fast?
Maybe in an optimal enviroment when connecting to a server nearby it shows as fast but when trying to gfetch data from further away it goes belly up?
Or his PC is slow and acts as the bottleneck.
I think it's a combination of all those.

For the first one, my ISP is just horrible and the service drops completely every so often. Not very consistent, but who needs quality control when you have a region-wide monopoly?
For the second, the nearest servers used by speedtest are really close, and a lot of the servers I actually connect to on a regular basis are in either California or Europe, which certainly makes things worse.
For the third, my computer is pretty gunked up with default programs that I never bothered disabling and shit other people have loaded on to it for temporary use but never removed.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41350 on: December 14, 2013, 03:35:27 pm »

My room is much colder than the rest of the house.

I don't know why, my window is closed and there isn't anything blocking airflow to my room. The door is wide open.

But when I leave my room it is like walking into a wall of hot air.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41351 on: December 14, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »

Clearly, the answer is ghosts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41352 on: December 14, 2013, 03:52:26 pm »

Went into kitchen to warm up some leftovers. Found out what visitor had left behind while attempting to clean the few dirty dishes I had left in the sink.

Somehow, someway, not only is the sink basically destroyed at this moment, several new dirty dishes have been added to the pile, the drain was clogged, and the entire thing had so much dirty water just laying about (drain, clogged) it halfway boggled the mind. The water's drained now, at least, and drain unclogged, but... damn. Just damn. I know the why (or the intent, anyway, if not the reasoning behind going about it so terribly), but I cannot quite grok the how. How do you bugger up "Put sufficient dishwashing stuff on dish. Scrub." that badly? The process is not complicated or involved!

I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to invest in a pitchfork and just camp the freaking oven when family comes by, so that I can shout "Back, back I say!" and brandish the pitchfork at them, just to keep my kitchen in a somewhat bearable state. Just... no, people. Let me do it. Stay the hell away from my kitchen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41353 on: December 14, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »

That is a lot easier on my computer than that speedtest site, which drags my browser to a screaming halt due, near as I can tell, to shitty flash based ads. Or something, I'unno. Closed the bloody page as soon as my browser started responding again.

... color me also interested, though. I've only got a little better than you, lue, and it works well enough for just about everything but watching high def streamed stuff or playing games with absolutely horrible net code.
I doubt the accuracy of that test. Speedtest.net gives me a 11Mbps per second download rate, this barely gives me 100 kbps.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41354 on: December 14, 2013, 04:13:08 pm »

A friend of mine has his own home, but his mother moved in with him when he got it, and his neice ended up coming with her without much warning.  2 years later his niece is 25, refuses to get a job and has his mother buy her cigarettes and food.

Recently she started complaining that her wireless internet isn't working.  Now my friend is a web programmer that works from home, his niece went and called the ISP twice in 2 weeks now to have the router replaced.  This requires custom port settings to be changed on the router each time, as well as his boss having to allow him access to their system under the new IP every time.

The niece insists the port forwarding is causing her wireless issue (instead of the 3 feet of solid concrete between her and the wireless signal), and she is turning it off and resetting the router causing his boss to have to open up his new IP every day.  His niece has actually gotten his mom on her side, and she doesn't believe it is causing issues with his job.  I suggested that he lock his niece out of the router, and that worked for a day.  But apparently his sister is the one who 'owns' the internet account, he just pays it.  And his niece called his sister to get bright house to get the password removed, and just continued doing it.

I suggest he kick the niece out, but his sister won't take her back, and his mom won't let him throw her out on the street...or do anything to incentivise her to move out.  And he won't defy his mother.

WTF, how do people get into these situations?  And how does his mother expect him to do his job without the necessary router settings?  She has ignored both what I have said about how important it is, and even what the ISP said about the matter.  I understand he doesn't want to go against his mother's wishes but how can she not see the massive problems his niece is causing, and take her clearly deadbeat grandaughter's side over her working son's?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 2755 2756 [2757] 2758 2759 ... 11037