Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2696 2697 [2698] 2699 2700 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432807 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #40455 on: November 22, 2013, 02:45:15 pm »

Microsoft Security Essentials is actually suprisingly good. Fast-ish, free, and pretty effective. Almost as if its not a bit if Microsoft software.
This is a blank sig.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40456 on: November 22, 2013, 02:48:27 pm »

MSE has been going downhill lately, they haven't been giving out more updates and seems that its performance is slacking off more each month. MS needs to do some revision work or its going to be trash.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40457 on: November 22, 2013, 02:50:26 pm »

After scraping the ice and snow off my car this morning and getting in, I was surprised to have it still be freezing after 10 minutes of driving with the heat on. I remembered that it had been quite hot the day before, and I'd left the AC on, while simultaneously having the heater on (there's a button for AC, and a dial for heat). Talk about decadence.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #40458 on: November 22, 2013, 02:57:00 pm »

... y'know, if I ever end up in a situation where I'm designing the paint job for a child's room. I'm going to remember that, RK. Maybe get a good artist in, someone that knows how to do visual illusions with paint. Kick it up a notch, cause some genuine psychological scarring.
Bonus points if you touch them up over time so they look more and more horrifying. Slow descent into insanity is almost guaranteed.
Reminds me of a creepypasta in which the main character is driven insane by her wallpaper. It had no pattern, but it looked like it did, so she started spending more and more time in bed staring at it, then she started to see someone trapped on the other side. I forget what happened after that, though.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40459 on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:10 pm »

Looking at the list of possible "General Education" courses I have to choose for next semester. Some of them don't even sound like real courses.

I think that these courses are made by the teachers themselves, and they range from normal courses to nonsensical and even bat-shit insane ones.

There's normal stuff like psychology and history, but then there's things that seem like it's just something the teacher feels like doing.

Like children's literature class, or the one dedicated entirely to studying Star Wars. I'm not even joking about that, it's actually about the movies and the Extended Universe books, with minor sections focusing on Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. There's also "supernatural" courses that "research ghosts" and things like that, plus a course that focuses on pseudoscience.

But then there's ones that just reek of bias, like a course that "proves global warming is a myth".

What I found hilarious though, was the one right under psychology, called positive psychology. Apparently there were too many complaints about psychology being too grim, so there's a new course that basically flaps around saying the world is amazing and good and nothing bad ever happens.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40460 on: November 22, 2013, 03:04:43 pm »

... y'know, if I ever end up in a situation where I'm designing the paint job for a child's room. I'm going to remember that, RK. Maybe get a good artist in, someone that knows how to do visual illusions with paint. Kick it up a notch, cause some genuine psychological scarring.
I should take pictures next time I visit, although that would mean spending more than a few minutes in the same domicile as my mother. That alone is traumatic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40461 on: November 22, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »

Looking at the list of possible "General Education" courses I have to choose for next semester. Some of them don't even sound like real courses.
There's also "supernatural" courses that "research ghosts" and things like that, plus a course that focuses on pseudoscience.

this video

actually just the first 20 seconds will do

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40462 on: November 22, 2013, 03:08:46 pm »

Don't worry too much about it. General Education instructors are allowed a large amount of independence in their class creation, and a good deal of the odd classes are probably tenured professors trying to do something to break the monotony of their usual classes. My own school has courses on everything from Japanese Culture (what I love is that it's invitation only, which means they're either desperately trying to keep the weeaboos out or have already been so infiltrated that only True Weeaboos are allowed), to Das Kapital (and to be fair, that book really does require an entire class to get down), to AI. We're not a computing school by any stretch, but all the same, we have AI classes.

Some courses are just for enjoyment at the end of the day. You have to take some free electives, and it'll help your GPA, so don't be hesitant to take a strange one if you think it would be at all interesting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40463 on: November 22, 2013, 03:18:42 pm »

Yeah, some of my best classes were the odd ones like that. Had one titled simply "Immortality". I was disappointed to learn that we were not in fact going to learn the secret of immortality, but it was in fact a historical examination of Western attitudes towards death, dying and the afterlife. Taught by a Jewish-Buddhist religion professor with a degenerative neurological disorder which he knew would probably kill him within the next few years.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40464 on: November 22, 2013, 03:21:43 pm »

I had one mad course like that called "Chaotic Communications", tought by some kind of wide boy east end Business studies prof who spoke of the virtues of the impending technologicial singularity. Twas most entertaining.
This is a blank sig.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40465 on: November 22, 2013, 03:23:19 pm »

A university in my area has a Batman class.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40466 on: November 22, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »

Being fair, there's actually a fair amount of potential for courses focused on particular cultural icons, especially the bigger ones (Like, hey, batman, star wars, or LotR). S'a lot you can do with it, from standard literature related stuff, to marketing or psychology poking about. Stuff with that large of a memetic effect has plenty of direct and related issues to cover, if you want to use 'em for such. Seems somewhat absurd on the face of it, but if yeh actually think about it...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40467 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:47 pm »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #40468 on: November 22, 2013, 05:46:53 pm »

Bonus points if you touch them up over time so they look more and more horrifying. Slow descent into insanity is almost guaranteed.
Reminds me of a creepypasta in which the main character is driven insane by her wallpaper. It had no pattern, but it looked like it did, so she started spending more and more time in bed staring at it, then she started to see someone trapped on the other side. I forget what happened after that, though.
I actually had to read that for my AP English class this year. Not really a creepypasta, it's a legitimate published short story from 1892 with the main character basically being a loosely based self-insert of the author. Moral of the story is that the rest-leave treatment for women at the time was ineffective at treating problems--generally mental stuff like depression or anxiety, and actually made it worse by forcing the women to not work at all and just think about what's wrong with them.

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #40469 on: November 22, 2013, 06:57:36 pm »

My school has a Joss Whedon class.  One of my friends spent the entire summer talking on facebook about how he had to watch every single TV show Joss Whedon has ever made, in preparation for this class.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 2696 2697 [2698] 2699 2700 ... 11039