Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460542 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #39390 on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:58 pm »

Trying to figure out the organization of the USC for (meta-)world-building purposes, I stumbled upon the massive Title 36 just now.

Also, thanks to looking up the organization of the USC on Wikipedia (don't know how I blanked on that one for so long), I discovered that the entirety of Title 8, Chapter 7 is omitted and/or repealed. (It's left like that instead of simply emptied out for future use to allow old cases to make sense.) Can you guess why, children?

Moral: the USC is amazing.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39391 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:34 pm »

Trying to figure out the organization of the USC for (meta-)world-building purposes, I stumbled upon the massive Title 36 just now.

Also, thanks to looking up the organization of the USC on Wikipedia (don't know how I blanked on that one for so long), I discovered that the entirety of Title 8, Chapter 7 is omitted and/or repealed. (It's left like that instead of simply emptied out for future use to allow old cases to make sense.) Can you guess why, children?

Moral: the USC is amazing.
What's so amazing? Aside from the sheer size, of course.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39392 on: October 28, 2013, 07:10:01 pm »

Eh, depends on what you enjoy. I enjoy legalese perhaps a bit too much sometimes :P (I want to emulate the USC's structure for worldbuilding purposes for crissake!)

Probably doesn't help that I view it as a form of programming. Law is just a very unusual and unique DSL :) .
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39393 on: October 28, 2013, 07:12:04 pm »

Eh, depends on what you enjoy. I enjoy legalese perhaps a bit too much sometimes :P (I want to emulate the USC's structure for worldbuilding purposes for crissake!)

Probably doesn't help that I view it as a form of programming. Law is just a very unusual and unique DSL :) .
What kind of worldbuilding?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39394 on: October 28, 2013, 07:22:02 pm »

Note that I said worldbuilding in the sense of "writing stuff that describes something fictional". Anyway it's more meta-worldbuilding right now, that is setting up the stuff to write up legal aspects of worldbuilding easily.

Specifically, I'm working on the LaTeX code I need to properly define the document divisions and reference them, without running into any of the numbering problems that LaTeX is designed to solve.

The first thing I'll use it for would likely be the just-for-fun idea of writing up a "laws of video games" thing, or Video Game Code if you will. Got the beginning bits down in plaintext, but it's going to be a PITA when I suddenly want to add a new section in-between two others and I have renumber most of the sections in that title, as well as all references to those sections.

(Then again, the USC itself has ways of dealing with that "in-between insertion" issue, which I'll likely do as well. But writing the initial version of the code...)

Yes I am extremely weird. :P Also I'll probably get bored of this in a few days and work on other projects. Right now I feel like LaTeX programming :)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39395 on: October 28, 2013, 07:45:03 pm »

"God, is changing the Velocity, because of Gravity". Said by my Physics teacher. Note, the order of the sentence: God is not making gravity do anything, gravity is making God do things. God is a celestial errand boy for the 4 forces then.

He may have been joking, but he's entirely crazy enough that you can never tell.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39396 on: October 28, 2013, 08:20:54 pm »

"God, is changing the Velocity, because of Gravity". Said by my Physics teacher. Note, the order of the sentence: God is not making gravity do anything, gravity is making God do things. God is a celestial errand boy for the 4 forces then.

He may have been joking, but he's entirely crazy enough that you can never tell.
My cosmology/theology includes the four forces as all-powerful godlike figures, and all the other gods, while they do exist, and are powerful, are just their lackeys.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39397 on: October 28, 2013, 08:22:16 pm »

I'm not a professor, but I feel like there shouldn't be a comma after "God".
It just makes me feel all weird inside. I dunno.

Like, it should be "God, because of gravity, is changing the velocity" or "God is changing the velocity because of gravity" or "Because of gravity God is changing the velocity" or "God is changing the velocity, because of gravity" or "Because of gravity, God is changing the velocity" or "The velocity is being changed by God because of the gravity".

Of course, there's probably more I'm missing.

Also, I'm sorry I just did that. I get carried away when I'm anxious, my bad.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:26:11 pm by Thecard »

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39398 on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »

Do tell how.

Profile -> Look and Layout -> Smiley Set -> No Smileys.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39399 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »

The stock of a company has a current share price of $13.69 and an annual dividend of $0. Find the current yield of the stock.
Why. Why is it asking me this. Why in the nonexistent gods names has this program asked me this three freaking times in a row? The yield is 0. It was zero the first time you asked. It was zilch the second time you asked. It will be nothing the third.

why is this even a question

I could understand it if the yield value was actually changing! But it's not. It has not budged. What the hell, program? I mean, thanks for the easy grade, I guess? But. What?

E: And then it asks me a forth time. Alright. Jeeves! Fetch the strangling gloves! We go a hunting.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #39400 on: October 28, 2013, 09:57:33 pm »

I just received this email:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know what to think. I didn't click that link, too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39401 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »

If someone showed that to me, I'd think it was poetry

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39402 on: October 28, 2013, 10:32:46 pm »

Go read it out loud at an open mic event. See how much people appreciate it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39403 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:39 pm »

I just received this email:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know what to think. I didn't click that link, too.
God has chosen you to do something. Through email of course, for the Lord is hip. Follow that link man, follow it for great justice!

Run it through Google first though, just to be safe that no devils put their viruses in it before it got to you.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39404 on: October 28, 2013, 10:41:08 pm »

Go read it out loud at an open mic event. See how much people appreciate it.
Seriously. I want to know how that turns out.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 11040