Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2456 2457 [2458] 2459 2460 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433689 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #36855 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:32 pm »

... would it actually matter if we were inside a simulation? I mean. Matrix or not matrix, being an ass is still being an ass, suffering is still suffering, and proper action to avoid the former and ameliorate the latter doesn't really change.

I don't see the world being any different regardless as to its state as a simulation. It's a metaphysical assumption that has no notable impact regarding the justification of practical actions. So... it might as well be. Or might as well not be. If there's no functional difference, it's not really relevant, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36856 on: August 30, 2013, 02:39:19 pm »

Well, theoretically, if life WERE a simulation, it could be possible to hack into it and eliminate the annoying bits like mortality, the speed of light, and the inability to shapeshift.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36857 on: August 30, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »

Well, theoretically, if life WERE a simulation, it could be possible to hack into it and eliminate the annoying bits like mortality, the speed of light, and the inability to shapeshift.
You think that anyone could find the specific causes of these things and then change them to make humans better without messing up a plethora of other things?
I doubt it. At least, in a simulation complex enough as the one we're in.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36858 on: August 30, 2013, 02:41:25 pm »

Altering, even just deleting random, or even specific... but with our lack of understanding it's effectively random... bits of 'code' is likely to add all kinds of unforseen bugs to the system.  Crashes are especially likely afterwards as well.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #36859 on: August 30, 2013, 02:43:53 pm »

Altering, even just deleting random, or even specific... but with our lack of understanding it's effectively random... bits of 'code' is likely to add all kinds of unforseen bugs to the system.  Crashes are especially likely afterwards as well.
Maybe we have crashed, and just been restored from last stable state.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36860 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:25 pm »

So I found out that a book I ordered, which has been late for days, had somehow ended up in the hands of the local post office rather than the university package service. Even though the delivery address on the package when I got it from them was, in fact, for the university's package service.

*gesture of bewilderment*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36861 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:03 pm »

And nobody would have noticed, apart from maybe some confused quantum physicists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36862 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:00 pm »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36863 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:55 pm »

And nobody would have noticed, apart from maybe some confused quantum physicists.

Confused is the base state for quantum physics. When something isn't bizzare is when it is time to get panicky.
This is a blank sig.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #36864 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:32 pm »

Confused is the base state for quantum physics. When something isn't bizzare is when it is time to get panicky.
"Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it." ~ Niels Bohr
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #36865 on: August 30, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »

yo what the flying fuck

You're familiar with the...er...slant of World Net Daily, yes?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36866 on: August 30, 2013, 03:13:49 pm »

yo what the flying fuck

You're familiar with the...er...slant of World Net Daily, yes?

quite. the story doesn't happen to be covered by any site that does not have a significantly alike slant either, but this is more of a what the flying fuck towards a good ol' liberal democracy making homeschooling a horrible thing and banning it than anything, i left that more open-ended so you can draw your own what the flying fucks if you wish. that part, for one, checks out

i am a bit confused towards other european countries which forbid it too, but this is more of material for a new thread if anyone's willing to pick me up on this
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:15:30 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #36867 on: August 30, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »

yo what the flying fuck

The article is extremely biased and contains a number of factual errors. So I am generally going to take their representation of events at face value.

"Farris said the U.S. Constitution is “not alone in upholding the right of parents to decide how to educate their children.” That isn't the case, no part of the US constitution recognizes any form of parental rights, nor is there anything recognizing children's rights in relation to the control their parents are or are not permitted to wield against them.

I would note that the EU recognizes several human rights that the US does not. And the right to an education is one of them. Under that point of view, the parents of a home-schooled child may be infringing on that right if they fail to provide an adequate education, which may or may not be the case here.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #36868 on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:09 pm »

As far as I can tell from the article, the parents might have been starting each lesson with a prayer to Saint Hitler...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #36869 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:36 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 2456 2457 [2458] 2459 2460 ... 11039