Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2418 2419 [2420] 2421 2422 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14431785 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #36285 on: August 14, 2013, 02:39:53 am »

Vanilla Skyrim has a plastic surgeon. One of the DLCs, but even so.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36286 on: August 14, 2013, 04:19:43 am »

After playing it enough... I have no idea why people say Fallout New Vegas is better, or at least more fun, then Fallout 3.

While Fallout 3 was no genius it did several things I really liked. For example it is the ONLY game I think that did difficulty scaling right, both upping the difficulty and allowing you to feel more powerful at the same time, something only possible in that game because you use ranged weaponry and can mow down groups of enemies. Which is the opposite of Skyrim where you actually start to feel less powerful as the game goes on.

Yet New Vegas is a huge step backwards in that respect because everyone is a bullet sponge and your weapons are incredibly inaccurate without enough response to show you why (Goodness an accuracy stat would be nice...). As well everything feels a lot more samey and what often made Fallout 3 interesting was them using the different environments to their full effect. Even the weapons which used to be quite varied and interesting in Fallout 3 are bland and deprived of all personality in New Vegas.

As well in terms of just how interesting the settings are... Fallout 3 presented quite a bit of variation, while Fallout New Vegas has the same environments copy pasted several times over. Not to mention a story that just seems so unimportant it was one of the few times in a sandbox I actually outright didn't care about finishing the main storyline.

While this certainly isn't like the Jump between Morrowind and Oblivion... it is a similar feeling. Going from a unique game that had its faults that only worked to endear itself to you to a game that is streamlined just a big pile of blah blah no one cares.

And yet... Everyone says New Vegas is better... Where is the better section? The ending?

Then again most people say Oblivion is better then Morrowind so who am I to question.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:21:27 am by Neonivek »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36287 on: August 14, 2013, 04:44:27 am »

Well, I liked all of New Vegas. Fallout 3's story was a bit too Bethesda for me (A lack of moral ambiguity, you're either an evil scumbag or the messiah), and New Vegas is much more like an actual Fallout title. Hell, I have the exact opposite thing as you: I totally ignored Fallout 3's story mode in favor of screwing around, while I chased after New Vegas's story with interest. Plus, the companions in New Vegas are so memorable for me then in Fallout 3. I doubt this is going to help you understand more, though.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, here's where FO3 and New Vegas differ on stories, at least in my opinion.

Fallout 3: "Your dad ran off, you find him, NOW YOU GOTTA SAVE THE WORLD! Even if you're an evil scumbag. For some reason."

New Vegas: "This bastard shot you in the head and left you for dead. Return the favor."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:46:32 am by Fniff »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36288 on: August 14, 2013, 05:07:56 am »

Plus, the companions in New Vegas are so memorable for me then in Fallout 3. I doubt this is going to help you understand more, though

Probably not because I actually ignored them mostly because Fallout 3 handled ambiguity the same way Fable handled it... It didn't. People are either scum, secretly scum, or they have a heart of gold.

Ok that and I don't like people dying... So I never took companions. Which in Fallout 3 means I was a one man army.

Fallout New Vegas since I knew companions could survive anything, I took them with me... and noticed that maybe they were "too good". Though much later on (more then 2/3rds through the game) they sort of lack a balance as they either are terrible or too helpful.

Fable is probably one of the worst things to happen to videogames... not that it was a bad game, but that every single company out there noticed how easy it was to half-bake a morality system and that the average gamer is so stupid they will eat it up (no I will not mince words...). The WORST game for this is flat out Infamous where morality even gives you powers for no reason. Thus making moral choices less a choice and more "what powers do you like?", along with railroading your moral delemmas through the mindset of a four year old who cannot think of any alternate solutions other then "stand in front of pipe and drink the poison"

Fallout 3: "Your dad ran off, you find him, NOW YOU GOTTA SAVE THE WORLD! Even if you're an evil scumbag. For some reason."

What helped Fallout 3 was if you were already knew a lot of the world. Fallout 3 was actually quite a big deal and had a lot of stakes.

Yet in many ways that sort of shows its problem. Fallout 3 SHOULD have been a big deal that irrevocably changed things in the Fallout universe.

Fallout New Vegas reminds me a bit of Fallout 2 in that the major drive is revenge but as you keep playing it seems more and more petty. Yeah he shot you in the head and at first you feel somewhat motivated, but as you keep playing and you become the savior of everything and the kitchen sink, you kind of realize that your own problems and vendettas are just so meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Yet you know what Fallout 2 did? It had stakes to keep you going alone and an interesting mystery. Not "Someone shot me but I am fine".

Fallout 3's story was a bit too Bethesda for me

Well there are two companies that do bland uninteresting dialog the best... One is Bethesda and one is Bioware.

Bioware manages to make very interesting worlds with rich histories and proceeds to fill them with the most boring inane and ill-fitting people it can.

While Bethesda makes rather luke warm worlds and proceeds to fill them with equally lukewarm and uninteresting people.

Or rather... One makes games that would be amazing "IF" they could characterize better then a Quantic Dream Love Story and their gameplay was vastly improved... While the other makes games much better then their blandness really deserve.

It is why I'd consider the stereotypical Bioware game to be Jade Empire, a very interesting game that has a lot of great ideas... on the surface (Basically Bioware are the KINGS of set dressing). While for Bethesda I'd use Oblivion which is a fairly uninteresting boring copy pasted world filled with boring people doing their boring everyday lives and yet somehow is a better game then its immediate surroundings.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:25:44 am by Neonivek »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36289 on: August 14, 2013, 05:17:56 am »

What helped Fallout 3 was if you were already knew a lot of the world. Fallout 3 was actually quite a big deal and had a lot of stakes.

Yet in many ways that sort of shows its problem. Fallout 3 SHOULD have been a big deal that irrevocably changed things in the Fallout universe.

Fallout New Vegas reminds me a bit of Fallout 2 in that the major drive is revenge but as you keep playing it seems more and more petty. Yeah he shot you in the head and at first you feel somewhat motivated, but as you keep playing and you become the savior of everything and the kitchen sink, you kind of realize that your own problems and vendettas are just so meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Yet you know what Fallout 2 did? It had stakes to keep you going alone and an interesting mystery. Not "Someone shot me but I am fine".
An interesting mystery? Fallout 2 is one of my favorite games, but it doesn't really have a mystery. It's like saying Raiders of the Lost Ark is a mystery film. And revenge isn't a part of it either. You're trying to save your village using a GECK, at least at the start. Anyway, how is finding out that your own problems and vendettas are basically pointless compared to the problems of the world a bad thing? That's part of the reason the Courier is just so much more impressive then the Lone Wanderer, they actually go through character development. First you're going after Benny just because he shot you in the head, then you get embroiled in a few political situations, then you realize that the cargo you were carrying is the most valuable thing in Nevada, and now you've gone from "murderous mailman" to "the guy who will redefine whole nations just by his actions".

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36290 on: August 14, 2013, 05:18:28 am »

I'm watching the first episode of American Horror Story. This is some weird stuff.
Which season?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36292 on: August 14, 2013, 09:05:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fallout 2 and NV are a bit alike to me.  They share many of the same themes.  The feel of them is the same.  The reputation system, the throwaway companions, the grunge of the whole world sprinkled with occasional pockets of technology and civility.  Even the attempt to force one into a more linear path.  Try going west from NVs starting town.  Frakkin swarms of poisonous bugs, and then swarms of raiders tough, 'high tech' raiders near the city.  Go to that mining town Redding in FO2.  The rats'll eat you for breakfast.

I actually feel they modeled much if not most of FNV off of FO2.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36293 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:16 am »

I do think FO2 and New Vegas are similar, hence why I said New Vegas is more like an actual Fallout title then Fallout 3 was, but I don't agree with his statements that they share revenge as a motive and the other theme is mystery.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36294 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:58 am »

Fallout is deep in mysterious themes. The vaults. And I don't mean FO3+'s straight up "These things ware used for experiments!" logs in terminals. You actually had to infer and attempt to figure out subtle things about what the hell the vaults were actually about.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:18:42 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36295 on: August 14, 2013, 09:25:17 am »

I'm watching the first episode of American Horror Story. This is some weird stuff.

Which season?

First season. I also watched the second episode. I'm not really sure what's going on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36296 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:39 am »

Food Helmet Sustains You With Algae

the implications of this please me.

a few decades from now, when i jump into virtual reality and remain there until my brain dies off i will be able to remain perfectly still while being fed with algae continuously (and maybe they'll figure out a way to counter muscle atrophy while they're at it)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36297 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28:45 am »

People leaving me voicemail about important things when I already had phone calls that were semi-important today. I really hate speaking on the phone. Or in person to new people about important things, really. Blaaaah.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36298 on: August 14, 2013, 10:32:28 am »

Which season?

First season. I also watched the second episode. I'm not really sure what's going on.
Watch the entire season. And the second one. THEY ARE FUCKING AWESOME. YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. (ALMOST) ALL WILL BE EXPLAINED.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36299 on: August 14, 2013, 11:35:09 am »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2418 2419 [2420] 2421 2422 ... 11039