Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2241 2242 [2243] 2244 2245 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471271 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #33630 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:22 am »

Somebody in Germany thought they would be able to make this tank in ww2

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's cool and all, but it would be incredibly expensive, and how the hell did they expect to get this thing to France.
By train, like they did with all tanks. France could be doable, but Russian roads (or lack thereof) were tankkillers. Big cannons weighed them down enough to sink them in swamps.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33631 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:54 am »

Somebody in Germany thought they would be able to make this tank in ww2

It's cool and all, but it would be incredibly expensive, and how the hell did they expect to get this thing to France.
By train, like they did with all tanks. France could be doable, but Russian roads (or lack thereof) were tankkillers. Big cannons weighed them down enough to sink them in swamps.
Fair enough they did have 2 hilariously oversized artillery guns that they used on railroads, and i suppose that thing would be absolutely terrifying. Apparently they also had snorkels so that oxygen could reach the engines and it could go underwater.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33632 on: June 13, 2013, 12:50:03 am »

Actually, the biggest tank to be ever made (atleast a prototype) was the german Maus, which was quite small compared to the Ratte (funfact, an even bigger one was drawn up, capable of lugging one of the railroad guns, codenamed Monster). The Maus was originally called Mammut, or which you've probably guessed to be German for Mammoth.

Also the only way to transport that via train was if you took it all apart, which wouldn't really be an option since it'd kill any and all armour thickness on most of the large areas (which seems to be the entirety of the tank).

Also also, had one of the wierdest dreams by far, I think at one point I even managed to die somehow but actually didn't? I was an alien in a human body or something, all I know I came back with a mask instead of a face, which somehow hid my empty head? And when taking pictures with this girl that I seemed to be dating or something I looked completely normal :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33633 on: June 13, 2013, 12:51:58 am »

...Maus?

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33634 on: June 13, 2013, 12:59:38 am »

Yeah the Germans apparently love to give massive tanks unfitting names. The tank design i have up there is the ratte (rat)
That's a maus. (mouse)

The Germans made scientific breakthroughs at time. Other times... not so much.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:04:12 am by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #33635 on: June 13, 2013, 01:57:29 am »

Xkcd's Time comic is still going strong. Holy shit in a barrel how long did Randall Munro work on that thing?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33636 on: June 13, 2013, 04:47:24 am »

The links I click on the internet.

No it's not a shock thing or whatever. Just a funny gif like that random flash site, but less addicting.
Ah yes, the spider mating dance. Either he gets laid, or she eats him. Actually, I think she'll eat him regardless if he gets laid.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33639 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:54 am »

I pronounce it like "father" unless I'm referencing Bananas in Pajamas. Then I pronounce it the other way to rhyme. This is the only true way.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33640 on: June 13, 2013, 09:26:54 am »

I pronounce it like "father" unless I'm referencing Bananas in Pajamas. Then I pronounce it the other way to rhyme. This is the only true way.

but... 'father' *does* rhyme with 'bananas' D:
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33641 on: June 13, 2013, 09:31:37 am »

My ex emailed me a link to the whole repository of those linguistic maps. Awesome stuff. Go go Alma Mater!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33642 on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:12 am »

Heh. It's funny, I was working the other day, and during my break I glanced into the next room and mentally went "Ah! There's the bubbler." I then mentally went, "Ah! I call them bubblers now?" I don't actually say it in conversation, but the fact that I recognized a drinking fountain first as a bubbler was rather amusing.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about all that white space in Wisconsin. Do they not have a name for it?
White space just means there's no single dominant term in that area. Plus, they're gradient maps...they didn't necessarily survey everyone in every town.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33643 on: June 13, 2013, 09:50:40 am »

I have a lot of history with Wisconsin, and have never heard them referred to as bubblers...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33644 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47:14 am »

Yeah the Germans apparently love to give massive tanks unfitting names. The tank design i have up there is the ratte (rat)
That's a maus. (mouse)

The Germans made scientific breakthroughs at time. Other times... not so much.
Mouse is a perfectly fitting name, that thing is a)grey and b)much bigger than a bug;)
Pages: 1 ... 2241 2242 [2243] 2244 2245 ... 11037