Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14439968 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #31740 on: May 08, 2013, 11:16:48 am »

what kind of bigotry are you talking about

Well it goes something like this

but "knowledge" based off of a translated and transcribed hundreds if not thousand of times (with errors abounding) book thousands of years old, hearsay, "just-so stories" and "Don't question just believe" tales

Which is really all I am going to say on the subject

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31741 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:59 am »

Religion is not a bastion of emphirical knowledge, but rather a philosphical and oral-historical account.  Its culture.  Anyone who can appreciate art (especially the abstract works we droll out today) should be able to see what relgions can offer.  Religion can have both a postiive and negative impact on the world it influences.  I think its a shame some tend to focus only on the negative.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31742 on: May 08, 2013, 11:22:52 am »

It is kind of especially a shame when you kind of understand that many of the same issues people blame on religion or the religious are being aped.

It kind of makes me question if our world is getting better or if we are just shifting things around. How much of our current situation is just how things unraveled and how much is what we did?

Did we stop war or did nuclear weapons do that? Did we stop slavery or did capitalism?

Sometimes I feel like we were more lucky then learning from our mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:30:16 am by Neonivek »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31743 on: May 08, 2013, 11:30:11 am »

In the past, this kind of ill-education has been hidden, no one cared about it, and no one actually KNEW that the bible was wrong so they thought it was good, wholesome teaching.

I am going to contain my displeasure and just ask. How far in the past are we talking about?
Up to early 1900s. After that, people steadily started knowing, caring, and having knowledge, and it spiked up with the advent of the internet.
And you lost it there. Fundamentalistic intrepretations of Christian teachings in the US date back to the 1900. Before that, this kind of stuff didn't exist. The literal intrepretation of the Bible (regarded by our dearest fundies as the only true one) was but one of many, and it was wildly accepted that it was inaccurate*. (Otherwise, everyone before the 1900 would need to believe that pi was exactly 3, and other strange things).

You made quite a generalization there. The entire Christian population, over the course of two thousand years.  And since I'm not going to get away from this without a little argument to back this up (strange, considering you'd think it'd should be rather logical). We got the writing of several Christian writers on the matter (first one dating back 600 years ago). But more importantly, if truly devout would believe what creatonists believe, namely, that all creatures are immutable, how come it was a monk who laid the basic for genetics. Link. For what reason then did Link come up with the Big Bang. After all, you'd think priests and monks 'd be the people believing most in the Bible, yet it is them who prove it's literal intrepretation wrong.

*Not in those wordings of course. The point was that the literal intrepretation was considered equal, and often less worthwhile than all other possible intrepretations.

Note: Have a related book

It is kind of especially a shame when you kind of understand that many of the same issues people blame on religion or the religious are being aped.
Humans are very good at imitating another. Better than apes really.

Man is the creature who does not know what to desire, and he turns to others in order to make up his mind. We desire what others desire because we imitate their desires.

RENÉ GIRARD, VIOLENT ORIGINS
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:34:05 am by 10ebbor10 »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31744 on: May 08, 2013, 11:31:30 am »

Did we stop war or did nuclear weapons do that? Did we stop slavery or did capitalism?
You're joking, right? Neither of those things have stopped.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31745 on: May 08, 2013, 11:34:51 am »

I am aware, I meant in America.

Where neither of those things have stopped... But they decreased in Frequency!... maybe.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31746 on: May 08, 2013, 11:39:02 am »

Where neither of those things have stopped... But they decreased in Frequency!... maybe.

War didn't so much as stop as it changed scale. It's not whole countries warring over borders at the moment as much as it's small factions sparring in streets. Frequency... I don't know but we hear about bombings and the like in the news pretty much every few days or so.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31747 on: May 08, 2013, 11:46:02 am »

War didn't so much as stop as it changed scale. It's not whole countries warring over borders at the moment as much as it's small factions sparring in streets. Frequency... I don't know but we hear about bombings and the like in the news pretty much every few days or so.
Small scale skirmishes are pretty much a daily thing if you live in an inner city. I mean, Detroit alone averages over a homicide a day, and that's after most of the people leaving.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #31748 on: May 08, 2013, 12:14:07 pm »

Shit, Detroit has a homocide a day? Did not know.

To be fair, the police have a rough time; there's too few people spread over too much city. Seriously, I think I read that it would fit Manhattan and Boston in it at the same time. Not just in area, but would actually fit them.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot about San Francisco
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:16:07 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31749 on: May 08, 2013, 01:12:14 pm »

I can admit when I'm being biased. In that case I'll bow out and just watch and read, rather than turn the discussion heated.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31750 on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:26 pm »

So Detroit's problem is that there's not enough population density? That's new.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31751 on: May 08, 2013, 01:22:33 pm »

... or too much sprawl associated with urban decay. Abandoned districts are often associated with crime aren't they?
This is a blank sig.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31752 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:28 pm »

Yeah, that's an issue. Plenty of abandoned structures, good a place as any to host your illicit activities. I admit I know jack-shit about Detroit in general, but for all I've heard there's jack-shit for business besides the aforementioned crime.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31753 on: May 08, 2013, 02:14:53 pm »

YouTube is fucking with me. When  I watch a video in HD it loads up a bit of it and kinda stops, cutting off the rest of the video so I have to reload if I want to see the rest, but it reloads in SD :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31754 on: May 08, 2013, 02:28:27 pm »

YouTube is fucking with me. When  I watch a video in HD it loads up a bit of it and kinda stops, cutting off the rest of the video so I have to reload if I want to see the rest, but it reloads in SD :I
Been doing that to me for a month or more.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 11040