Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1834 1835 [1836] 1837 1838 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14484665 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #27525 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:21 pm »

I don't know, where is Japa when you need him?

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27526 on: February 19, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »

What country do you live in Valid?
In Australia, not only is drinking tap water safe, but more healthy than bottled water because of the added fluoride. Makes it good for your teeth.

Oh, also, Flouride is toxic, so saying your tap water is more healthy than bottled water because it has toxic stuff in it, isn't really a valid statement to me.
if your body isn't used to it, even in small amounts it can make you sick or kill you.

In Australia, not only is drinking tap water safe, but more healthy than bottled water because of the added fluoride. Makes it good for your teeth.

It's also completely safe in the US, and probably every other country that a member of this forum is likely to inhabit.

no, tap water is not completely safe in the US, it contains all sorts of bacteria and stuff, that if you're not used to can make you sick.  Also many citys have traces of uranium in their tap water, as well as mercury, and all sorts of prescription medicine.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27527 on: February 19, 2013, 07:08:38 pm »

It's also completely safe in the US, and probably every other country that a member of this forum is likely to inhabit.
It varies from region to region, also depending on what the pipes are made of. Like here, the water is okay to drink from the tap but doesn't taste all that great unless you add ice.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27528 on: February 19, 2013, 07:11:41 pm »

Oh, also, Flouride is toxic, so saying your tap water is more healthy than bottled water because it has toxic stuff in it, isn't really a valid statement to me.
if your body isn't used to it, even in small amounts it can make you sick or kill you.
Pure water is toxic if you drink too much.
All regions have localized pathogens in their drinking water than can affect people not used to them, doesn't mean you shouldn't drink your own water. The best way to build an immune system is to expose it to these pathogens regularly.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27529 on: February 19, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »

That's not a universal truth. Many municipal water supplies in the US contain significant impurities (sulfur and rust being common) that can be harmful over a long period of time (generally, this is not due to poor maintenance or cost-cutting materials, but a property of the water source that is not adequately filtered out when the water is drawn). People in such areas often install tap filters on the sink they drink from, or a whole-house water-softening system.

More importantly, there is often a certain level of (benign) biologic activity in the water, that people simply become accustomed to over time.The human body has a tendency to reject strange things (this is why tourists often have trouble with local food), so such water will often make you sick while visiting an area with such a contaminant.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27530 on: February 19, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »

Pure water is toxic if you drink too much.
All regions have localized pathogens in their drinking water than can affect people not used to them, doesn't mean you shouldn't drink your own water. The best way to build an immune system is to expose it to these pathogens regularly.

wow it's like you completely ignored everything I said.

drinking distilled water isn't really *bad* for you, but if it's all you drink, you can die from it

if you go to another state, or another country, don't drink their tap, but it's somewhat ok to drink the tap from your state if you've lived there for a while, because your body is somewhat used to that water.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27531 on: February 19, 2013, 07:20:12 pm »

wow it's like you completely ignored everything I said.

Yea, I know that feeling.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27532 on: February 19, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »

Everything is toxic if you ingest too much of it. Flouridation of tap water reduces cavities by ~18-40% in individuals who already practice basic dental hygiene. Incidentally, tap water is deflouridated in areas where the water supply has a naturally high concentration. This paranoid conspiracy theory that tap water flouridation is evil needs to die in the same hole as the anti-vaccination one. It's like saying that you'll poison yourself if you don't wash your mouth out really well after brushing your teeth.

By the by, you won't mysteriously die from drinking distilled water. I honestly don't know where you pulled that from. Unless you mean death by water intoxication, in which case no shit that's hardly confined to a specific type of water.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:00:51 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27533 on: February 19, 2013, 07:35:33 pm »

Now the thread isn't 'What the fuck?', it's 'water fuck?'
So much could be taken out of that last part as a sentence. But lets not go there.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27534 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »

Distilled water is hypotonic, and can cause your red blood cells to burst.  less blood cells = less oxygen circulation.
less oxygen circulation can lead to death,

so yes, distilled water can kill you.
there is a reason people don't drink distilled water.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27535 on: February 19, 2013, 07:38:13 pm »

You can drink distilled water if you enrich it somehow.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27536 on: February 19, 2013, 07:39:07 pm »

yeah, but then it's no longer distilled water, it becomes water thats been distilled.
Drinking water is enriched distilled water.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27537 on: February 19, 2013, 07:39:43 pm »

I can't even imagine how much distilled water you'd have to drink for that to matter.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27538 on: February 19, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »

Distilled water is hypotonic, and can cause your red blood cells to burst.  less blood cells = less oxygen circulation.

Drink enough of any water and it will kill you. It's not like accidentally ingesting a spoonful of distilled water will make you fall down dead on the spot.

Toxic and non-toxic are not mutually-exclusive things. Quantity matters.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27539 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:06 pm »

Relative to human blood, all water is hypotonic, just distilled a little more so than other water.
Overdoses of water cause your red blood cells to burst because more water without more salt causes lower levels of salinity, and when your blood salt levels drop below a certain point your red blood cells die. The same effect can be achieved by any drink that doesn't contain high levels of electrolytes or by not having any salt in your diet.

Don't take this as an endorsement of energy drinks. They have a higher level of glucose than you should be having.
Pages: 1 ... 1834 1835 [1836] 1837 1838 ... 11037