Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449923 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #26355 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:51 pm »

They might have trouble actually getting NC-17 from sexuality. From what I've seen, you can show total nudity, sex, and partial nudity during sex and still get by with an R. For all the talk about how Americans love violence and abhor sexuality, the MPAA seems to grade in the opposite direction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26356 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43:00 pm »

If a vagina is shown for a single frame it'll be NC-17.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26357 on: January 31, 2013, 11:46:20 pm »

They might have trouble actually getting NC-17 from sexuality. From what I've seen, you can show total nudity, sex, and partial nudity during sex and still get by with an R. For all the talk about how Americans love violence and abhor sexuality, the MPAA seems to grade in the opposite direction.
Yeah, Vagina's are just out. Meanwhile, the SAW movies exist.

So MPAA love violence and abhors sexuality is a pretty good way of putting things.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26358 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:42 pm »

Freud is laughing at you guys again. It's really annoying.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26359 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:03 pm »

SAW is not all that bad. Perhaps my perspective is skewed, but I definitely know when I'm watching an R-violent movie and an uncut violent movie. The lines are not as clear as with sexuality, but they definitely exist.

Like the uncut version of Hostel. That shit gave me nightmares, and I'm pretty resistant to violence. I mean, I was going to have nightmares anyway because my subconscious is off the fucking wall, but usually I don't pick up the theme from recent horror movies.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26360 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:58 pm »

I think that's probably just because we don't make many excessively sexual theatrical films in the US.

I'm pretty sure the infamous sex scene at the end is what got Requiem for a Dream its NC-17 rating and not all the drug use, but I haven't actually sat down and compared the two versions.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26361 on: January 31, 2013, 11:55:58 pm »

The problem is that violence is context of its own. 'Sexuality' isn't always sexual.
In Australia, for example, on most beaches it is acceptable for women to go topless at some pretty popular beaches. I'm not even talking about nudist beaches, I mean Bondi at Christmas. And there is nothing sexual about it, from what I can gather it is just more comfortable for some people.
Cutting through somebodies chest with a chainsaw will always be violent.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26362 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:57 am »

You see, there you're wrong. Sexuality isn't always sexual, but in US culture, boobs are, therfore they are sexuality by extension. It's a repeating effect. Trying to address it properly is, to the US, as bizzare as it must look to australians to have americns freaked out by the naked women.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26363 on: February 01, 2013, 12:32:38 am »

The US is full of nonsense like always. I wish we made more sense.
Because seriously, we have all of the violent movies ever more or less, but mention boobs at all and people are going 'amg what are you doing thats inapropriate !!!1!1!'.

I would say we need less old people in the MPAA, but then that would only leave the crazy people. Leaving only the crazies by themselves in that position would just make the US end up worse.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:35:14 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26364 on: February 01, 2013, 12:47:49 am »

What we need is for movie theaters to abandon the MPAA rating scale, or at least tone it back to "suggestion" and not actually bar anyone from seeing movies. There are some who do so already, but the MPAA occupies a pervasive space. Unlike the Comics Code, they don't try to control what filmmakers do, just asses it. This gives theaters plausible deniability against screening certain films. If somebody angrily complains or even sues because their child saw an R-rated movie, than the theater can say "they ignored the posted rating of their own free will and against company policy, we are not at fault". The thing is that the MPAA (and the ESRB) were both founded during time periods where their respective media were young enough to be at a potential risk. Now this is no longer really true, all the way up to the Supreme Court, but the systems remain: too unobtrusive to be worth rooting out, too entrenched to not be annoying by virtue of their presence influencing creators.

You would not believe how many people believe that the MPAA and ESRB are actually government organizations with authority (cue Euroforumites and probably Amerofourmites expressing surprise).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:49:29 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26365 on: February 01, 2013, 03:37:18 am »

You would not believe how many people believe that the MPAA and ESRB are actually government organizations with authority (cue Euroforumites and probably Amerofourmites expressing surprise).

I... Feel like such an idiot now... I'm just gonna go drown my shame in Pepsi now...
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26368 on: February 01, 2013, 09:13:31 am »

Yeah... that's... that's something. I'm kinda' surprised they fired the guy, though. I mean, ethics aside, he was apparently getting the work done. He wasn't doing the work, but it was getting done because of him. Seems to me you'd keep the fellow around as a middleman or something, since he apparently already had good contacts overseas.

On the flip side, it also probably told his company they could outsource his job for a fifth of his salary. Whoops! Might not have wanted to let that fact get out into the wild, Bob.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26369 on: February 01, 2013, 09:23:11 am »

Well, there's also the fact that it's a massive security breach by handing over access to the private corporate VPN to uncleared individuals. Corporate espionage ho!

Hell, I'd be looking at *prison time* if I did something like that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 11040