Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1727 1728 [1729] 1730 1731 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14472888 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #25920 on: January 21, 2013, 01:54:14 pm »

Yeah, but gender and sex are a priori; even if gender roles are social constructs, gender isn't. That is to say that there can be mental gender dysphoria.

But other species do not exist in the mind, they must be learned, so species dysphoria doesn't exist.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25921 on: January 21, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »

Yeah, but gender and sex are a priori; even if gender roles are social constructs, gender isn't. That is to say that there can be mental gender dysphoria.

But other species do not exist in the mind, they must be learned, so species dysphoria doesn't exist.
It means you can't be born with it. Or not that directly. It's entirely possible that you have a psycholical problem that causes you to feel not human, and when you then find out about [Insert something here], you make the click and the brain, being a nice thing as it is, will go to far limits to enforce that idea. (Really, the brain is sneaky thing. It even overwrites memories).

As another example, you know people that say they've been kidnapped by aliens. By your logic, the kindnapping by aliens feeling should not be possible, since it's possible that people never heard about them, yet should still experience it. As you and I both know however, that kidnapping by aliens feeling is actually based on sleep paralysis. It's just that the mind tries to explain, and hence adds the aliens and stuff.

Conclusion:
It's not because it doesn't have a direct psychological cause that there can't be a psychological/biological phenomenon behind it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #25922 on: January 21, 2013, 02:02:29 pm »

It means you can't be born with it. Or not that directly. It's entirely possible that you have a psycholical problem that causes you to feel not human, and when you then find out about [Insert something here], you make the click and the brain, being a nice thing as it is, will go to far limits to enforce that idea. (Really, the brain is sneaky thing. It even overwrites memories).

As another example, you know people that say they've been kidnapped by aliens. By your logic, the kindnapping by aliens feeling should not be possible, since it's possible that people never heard about them, yet should still experience it. As you and I both know however, that kidnapping by aliens feeling is actually based on sleep paralysis. It's just that the mind tries to explain, and hence adds the aliens and stuff.

Conclusion:
It's not because it doesn't have a direct psychological cause that there can't be a psychological/biological phenomenon behind it.

Sure, but then that means that being an otherkin isn't...being "transspecies." It's not an analogue to being trans.

It also means that you feel not-human, not as something else.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25923 on: January 21, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »

Well, dhokarena has certainly proved capable of stating some statements. Confident in his ability to do so, I'm satisfied to move on.

So... new topic... uh...

WTF is up with glee stealing Coulton's music? I thought that show would care more about PR.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25924 on: January 21, 2013, 02:07:33 pm »

I'm not in highschool anymore, so I wouldn't know. Do people still care about that show?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25925 on: January 21, 2013, 02:08:26 pm »

Did people ever care about glee?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25926 on: January 21, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »

A lot of the music people I know did.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25927 on: January 21, 2013, 02:10:49 pm »

Glee is a nice emotion. It's... something else, these days?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25928 on: January 21, 2013, 02:15:07 pm »

About half my friends are big Glee fans. I watch it when they do. From what I've heard, a lot of people still care about it. Once you get out of high school, it's mostly just the gay kids that still watch it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25929 on: January 21, 2013, 02:43:15 pm »

The only thing I've ever really heard about Glee is conservative commentators complaining about how it is converting YOUR CHILDREN into RADICAL OBAMA-LOVING HOMOSEXUALS.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25930 on: January 21, 2013, 02:46:54 pm »

The only thing I've heard about it is snark about it causing tweens to talk about bands "covering" their own songs because they don't realize that they didn't originate from Glee.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #25931 on: January 21, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »

Which is something I've never happened across in all the time the show has been on the air, except on shitty rage comics on memebase.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25932 on: January 21, 2013, 02:53:13 pm »

Apparently they took Coulton's music and used it for a song, which they are selling on Itunes, without crediting him, talking to him, or paying him to use it.

Mind you, it was the music he used for his Big Butts cover, but the only part of that song that's licensed is the lyrics - the music (the part Glee took) is all his.

What makes it blatantly obvious is that he DID change one line in the lyrics, to inset his own name (Johny C) in place of sir mixalots, and Glee kept that line. It doesn't even seem like they played their own version of his arrangement, but literally just used the Karaoke version of the music he sells sans lyrics and sung over it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25933 on: January 21, 2013, 03:15:00 pm »

I feel glee when others suffer, if that counts.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25934 on: January 21, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »

I feel glee when others suffer, if that counts.
Schadenfreude is one of the few ways that I even can feel glee.
Pages: 1 ... 1727 1728 [1729] 1730 1731 ... 11037