Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1676 1677 [1678] 1679 1680 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470977 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #25155 on: January 06, 2013, 04:24:17 am »

@Flying Dice, I've actually read somewhere that it was planned for the barrel to be retractable for easier transport, which makes it even wierder considering how a tank would look like it's having a hard on before every battle X)

Anyways, current WTF, ConceptArt.org is labeled as malicious, FF freaks out every time I go there, and when I ignore the warning I get a blank window, what happened to that place :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25156 on: January 06, 2013, 05:24:23 am »

Apparantly the LHC is shutting down for two years so it can be made even more powerful.

You know you're doing science right when the biggest particle cannon on earth isn't big enough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25157 on: January 06, 2013, 05:33:25 am »

Apparantly the LHC is shutting down for two years so it can be made even more powerful.

You know you're doing science right when the biggest particle cannon on earth isn't big enough.
You never have enough dakka, now 100% peer reviewed scientific fact!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25158 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:37 am »

... and I am going there in a few months with a to have a good old nose around. Perfect timing - much more interesting to see the insides rather than a sealed box.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25159 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:20 am »

Y'know, if we end up getting the particles to go fast enough, we could create a temporary miniature black hole.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_particle_collisions_at_the_Large_Hadron_Collider

"In a report issued in 2003, they concluded that, like current particle experiments such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), the LHC particle collisions pose no conceivable threat. A second review of the evidence commissioned by CERN was released in 2008. The report, prepared by a group of physicists affiliated to CERN but not involved in the LHC experiments, reaffirmed the safety of the LHC collisions in light of further research conducted since the 2003 assessment. It was reviewed and endorsed by a CERN committee of 20 external scientists and by the Executive Committee of the Division of Particles & Fields of the American Physical Society, and was later published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Physics G by the UK Institute of Physics, which also endorsed its conclusions."

Meanwhile in mainstream media
"Two nightmare scenarios, two ends of the world. In the first, there is little warning. For maybe a month there would be no sign that life was about to come to an abrupt and nasty end for all living things on Earth.
Then, earthquakes would start unexpectedly, alerting geologists that something terrible, unimaginable, was amiss.
After a few days, these seismic disturbances would reach catastrophic proportions.
Cities would be levelled, the oceans would rise and wash in a series of mega-tsunamis that would attack the world's coasts, killing millions."

"At 9.15am precisely, the £5billion Large Hadron Collider will whirr into action – with the intention of re-creating the conditions of the Big Bang.

But it has struck fear into the hearts of several scientists, some of whom claim the LHC could create a black hole which might swallow the planet.

‘Nothing will happen for at least four years. Then someone will spot a light-ray coming out of the Indian Ocean,’ said German chemist Otto Rossler. ‘The weather will change completely, wiping out life. There will be a Biblical Armageddon.’

Others seemed unfazed about the possible end of life on Earth. Prof Brian Cox, who works on the project, said: ‘Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat.’"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25160 on: January 06, 2013, 09:57:24 am »

That is why the media does not make science, LW. We'd only have swords or something because big loud exploding weapons (or weapons using explosions to operate) would be the end of the world for everyone else or something because explosion are dangerous aaaaaaahhhhhh.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25161 on: January 06, 2013, 11:54:04 am »

That is why the media does not make science, LW. We'd only have swords or something because big loud exploding weapons (or weapons using explosions to operate) would be the end of the world for everyone else or something because explosion are dangerous aaaaaaahhhhhh.
TNT was a tool invented to save lives... The inventor received a noble peace prize for it.

Funny enough, people seem fine with weapons science. Weapons specifically designed to cause mass destruction. But physics? Fuck no, gravity be well scary.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25162 on: January 06, 2013, 12:04:01 pm »

TNT was a tool invented to save lives... The inventor received a noble peace prize for it.
I hadn't been thinking of TNT, sorry. I'd been thinking of rocket launchers and <insert gun here>.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #25163 on: January 06, 2013, 12:06:07 pm »

Idea: ditch the idea of journalism majors and require anyone reporting on a subject to have at least a bachelor's in the field.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25164 on: January 06, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »

I hadn't been thinking of TNT, sorry. I'd been thinking of rocket launchers and <insert gun here>.
I'm not sure about that fact.

Don't you mean Noble inventing dynamite and the Noble prices?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25165 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »

Something like that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25166 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:51 pm »

Idea: ditch the idea of journalism majors and require anyone reporting on a subject to have at least a bachelor's in the field.

Which would turn all journalism into entertainment news... oh, wait a second...
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25167 on: January 06, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »

Even if the mini black holes produced were somehow stable, it's take forever for it to gain enough mass from randomly bumping into things in order to destroy the earth. It's not like a buttload of mass just pops out of nowhere to produce the gravity to kill us all.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25168 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:16 pm »

IIRC a tiny black hole would evaporate in a small burst of gamma rays due to Hawking radiation very quickly (picoseconds) anyway.
This is a blank sig.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25169 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:49 pm »

Even if the mini black holes produced were somehow stable, it's take forever for it to gain enough mass from randomly bumping into things in order to destroy the earth. It's not like a buttload of mass just pops out of nowhere to produce the gravity to kill us all.
I agree. Bullshits.

EDIT:
I'm not sure about that fact.

Don't you mean Noble inventing dynamite and the Noble prices?
Yeah, Nobel invented Dynamite, and used that money to start the Nobel Prize. He also invented  the torpedo.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:18:01 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1676 1677 [1678] 1679 1680 ... 11037