Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1660 1661 [1662] 1663 1664 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14472004 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24915 on: January 02, 2013, 01:57:14 am »

It doesn't go in the animal kingdom, IT IS ALL THE KINGDOM
Imagine what would happen if Jeffrey got hold of a mosquito.
It wouldn't even need a hive mind. Driven by the blind instinct to feed...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24916 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:22 am »

Ah, just remembered something!
How does the Xenomorph hivemind work?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24917 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:25 am »

Probably pheromones. Or magic psychic powers. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24918 on: January 02, 2013, 02:15:00 am »

I do vaguely remember the sole Aliens book (there's... non-movie Aliens books like there are Star Wars books, apparently. Though I don't know how many.) I've read suggesting that pheromones are involved in some way with th'xenomorphs. It's been long enough I don't remember the details, but I sorta' recall some dude that was being kept unimpregnated to keep facehugged other people from kicking the dust using that... somehow.

It's been a really long damn time since I read that book. It was also the only Aliens book I ever bothered to read, so... yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24919 on: January 02, 2013, 02:16:03 am »

The Thing is a cellular-sapient homogenizing pathogen, Xenomorphs aren't. The Thing wins, end of line.
They just accept that the all devouring sci fi monster from outer space instantly wins against xenomorphs. They don't even do devil's advocate. Xenomorphs have a surprisingly good resume.

People jumping to conclusions makes me 'Katana all over the sky. Sorry about that.
It isn't jumping to conclusions. The Thing can assimilate and imitate living matter at a cellular level well enough as to be indistinguishable from its prey once the process is complete (to the point where its prey may not even be aware it has been assimilated until rapid mutation is required). Xenomorphs have no possible defense against this. Indeed, nothing aside from a similar manner of organism has any defense against this. The Thing was only vulnerable in the film due to it being in the extremely inconvenient situation of landing on the only region of Earth that lacks consistent life.
The Queen can communicate with lower Xenomorphs over long distances with no apparent means of doing so. Notably, a lower Xenomorph separated from the hive mind is capable of extensive independent activity, during which it will attempt to grow to its full measure if it has not already, followed by attempting to create a new Queen if it can.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24920 on: January 02, 2013, 02:28:38 am »

I'm not sure, but I think there might be a spambot in our midst:
hi..........good morning

i am fine.................

visit the site
They're getting more subtle by the minute :o

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #24921 on: January 02, 2013, 02:50:18 am »

I'm not sure, but I think there might be a spambot in our midst:
hi..........good morning

i am fine.................

visit the site
They're getting more subtle by the minute :o

Toady took care of it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24922 on: January 02, 2013, 02:55:11 am »

Additional speculation: how would X-Com handle the Thing or Xenomorphs?
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24923 on: January 02, 2013, 02:56:33 am »

It isn't jumping to conclusions. The Thing can assimilate and imitate living matter at a cellular level well enough as to be indistinguishable from its prey once the process is complete (to the point where its prey may not even be aware it has been assimilated until rapid mutation is required).
There is no canon to suggest that the prey is still in there when they've been assimilated and inflicting harm on them to test if it's the thing or not is a quick way to expose the ruse. Xenomorphs express no reluctance to inflict self harm or harm on others.

Xenomorphs have no possible defense against this. Indeed, nothing aside from a similar manner of organism has any defense against this.
Which the Xenomorph is - albeit a slower changing and more stable creature.

The Thing was only vulnerable in the film due to it being in the extremely inconvenient situation of landing on the only region of Earth that lacks consistent life.
Xenomorphs can end planets too, plus they're pretty reliable at getting to other planets alive in one piece. They're also more than capable of functioning in arctic conditions. You can run from Jeffrey, you can't run from Xenomorphs. Being isolated also kept Jeffrey safe - if a single human ever got back to report what happened, Earth would get burned. And probably the human that came back too, along with all the people present just in case.
The Xenomorphs do not need to ever get near to Jeffrey. Jeffrey need only starve as the humans are gobbled up by the Xenomorphs, and the humans fight both. Net loss of biomass all round. Jeffrey needs energy and is less efficient in acquiring nutrition than aliens.

When the Xenomorphs showed up on Earth they had to nuke it. If the thing showed up in a town they'd have to nuke it.

It's an even match with the only difference being time, reflected in Jeffrey's fast changing mutations and the hive mind's calculative and surgical actions.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24924 on: January 02, 2013, 03:12:38 am »

Additional speculation: how would X-Com handle the Thing or Xenomorphs?

The same way they handle everything else: rookies wielding plasma guns.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24925 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:08 am »

Although if Jef managed to crash in a rural area or some such it would not be long before he infested the world what with the whole stealth shtick.
Plus what do you mean you can run from Jef? :( The people you run to will be Jef anyway.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24926 on: January 02, 2013, 03:37:27 am »

Although if Jef managed to crash in a rural area or some such it would not be long before he infested the world what with the whole stealth shtick.
Plus what do you mean you can run from Jef? :( The people you run to will be Jef anyway.
That is implying Jeffrey would be able to infect the entire human race without anyone noticing. Jeffrey infected around 3 people before the flamethrowers were brought out.

Xenomorphs do not make humans question their security in identity - Jeffrey does. The response humans would have towards Jeffrey would be something far greater than they would inflict on Xenomorphs. Xenomorphs do not employ disguises, they employ stealth.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24927 on: January 02, 2013, 03:40:27 am »

Actually, it was the dog thing that tipped them off.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24928 on: January 02, 2013, 04:21:39 am »

Actually, it was the dog thing that tipped them off.
Oh yeah. That was a derp herp.

More evidence to suggest the thing is only as smart as the cognitive abilities of its assimilated constituents - hence why the larger nervous masses were capable of more deceit.

But seriously the Xenomorphs managed to impregnate an entire maternity ward without anyone noticing.

Major skills.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24929 on: January 02, 2013, 04:23:56 am »

Wait, what movie? If it was AvP Requiem, I'm pretty sure Jef would have no trouble assimillating a redneck community.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 1660 1661 [1662] 1663 1664 ... 11037