Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443069 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2445 on: November 09, 2011, 08:16:09 pm »

So long as they both sink, I'm happy.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 09, 2011, 08:48:03 pm »

Seems to be a lot of suddenly appearing political poison lately. Wisconsin thing, that, SOPA/E-PARASITE, who knows what else.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: November 09, 2011, 09:58:36 pm »

This is somewhat simplified, but works. Up until a few years ago, there were much stricter limits to how much money could be funneled into political activism than there are now, because the Supreme Court ruled many of these restrictions illegal. This allowed the ultra-rich to pump massive amounts of money into their pet causes. This is what created the Tea Party in the first place. Surprising nobody except the ultra-rich, these pet causes proved to be less than popular among those who didn't directly benefit from them, unless they were cloaked in deceptive language, astroturfing, and vague (but not quite false) promises. The electorate has proved to be more adept at seeing through these cloaks than their authors intended, resulting in a nasty backlash.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 09, 2011, 10:22:10 pm »

Yeah, here's a list of more of them. http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/ops/broken-arrow.htm
The official name for such incidents are 'Broken Arrows.'

The notable ones are the ones involving actual nuclear capsules rather than dry runs with the bombs armed with only the HE casing. Like this one, in which 2 nuclear bomb cores went missing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or this one in Texas, in which the bomb's HE casing exploded on impact:

There are also several cases of nuclear weapons falling into the ocean.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 10, 2011, 01:40:32 am »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: November 10, 2011, 05:12:55 am »

So I just tried to make a gmail account.  I've been using a Yahoo account I made in 2004 for all personal email I don't want a real name on, which has mostly been signing up for forums, Steam, and so forth.  Not coincidentally, it is spammed to Hell and back.

Turns out, apparently "aqizzar(at)gmail.com" is already taken.

What?  No really, what?

The whole reason I made this username was because when I typed it in for this forum, Google said that particular string of letters had never been typed before on all the Internet.  And now there's somebody running around with my name.  This is unacceptable.

More than unacceptable though, it's fucking confusing.  Why would anybody but me register that?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 10, 2011, 06:19:17 am »

Ehr.. No idea. I definitely didn't need a good, trustful name to trick the forum peopuls into giving me bank account information and buying me games. *shifty eyes*
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: November 10, 2011, 06:20:52 am »

I don't like it when I encounter other SalmonGods...  Half the reason I've hung onto this name is I have almost no competition for it (I think it's happened twice).  The other half is because I've been using it for 15 years.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2453 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:42 am »

I always thought it was weird seeing people with the same username as people I know or have seen elsewhere.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: November 10, 2011, 07:56:11 am »

Friend bought parts for a new computer, had me put them together.    Though it's been awhile since I had last done it I put together computers from parts all the time for other people back when I worked at a tech shop, and I was confident I knew what I was doing.

Three hours later, I finally get the computer completely together despite very little working room and only one tiny little light source and an unusual case design.  I check all the connections and everything looks good.  We hook it up and I make a joke about releasing the magic blue smoke.

Fans start, power light turns on, no beeps, no POST, no video.  And a little debug screen on the motherboard is indicating Internal CPU error.  CPU is installed properly, it is keyed so it would not have gone in otherwise, heatsink is installed properly and fan is spinning.  What the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. 

That is the last thing I expected to go wrong, I expected his hard drive to possibly be going bad, or his double wide graphics card to not fit, not a mysterious CPU error.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:26 am »

Double check the four pin power plug for the CPU. Perhaps it is loose?

Yeah never know...

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2456 on: November 10, 2011, 08:32:37 am »

A connection error with steam? Annoying, but this uni accommodation network has been causing all sorts of occasional problems, like youtube not working at the moment for me. Just go into offline mode... "Could not connect to Steam network". That's the entire point of offline mode it doesn't require connection. But apparently it now does. I even had offline mode working fine for about a week where it wouldn't connect, but now it isn't.  Why the hell does that happen?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: November 10, 2011, 03:06:40 pm »

Also weird, I've seen "Truean" taken on certain email servers. I thought I was kinda being original....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: November 10, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »

I've had to resort to the name Phy Rex to sign up for LoL. Virex, Vyrex Phyrex and Tharem (my other standard nick) were all taken...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: November 10, 2011, 03:35:48 pm »

The few times I've seen my username used somewhere else, it turned out to be somewhere I signed up for while drunk and forgot about.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 11040