Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1606 1607 [1608] 1609 1610 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485428 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24105 on: December 15, 2012, 10:29:55 am »

One thing that those raw statistics don't explain is that "to provide religious and moral instruction" is not necessarily a right-wing YEC fundamentalist argument. As someone who has access to virtually all homeschooling materials at some point, I can say with certainty that only a minority of the religious oriented ones fit in that category. OEC is a common argument, and many treat the creation vs evolution argument as a solid "maybe". Naturally, Catholic materials don't support YEC at all, as it's a Protestant doctrine that is officially banned by Church policy. (Official catholic policy is that the means by which God created the Earth and the date that he did so, whether he simply decreed it 5000 years ago, or touched off the Big Bang several billion years ago, is irrelevant.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24106 on: December 15, 2012, 10:44:04 am »

Ah, MSH, let me put it in clearer terms. High School did more damage to me than it did benefit, on pretty much every level. Academically, I got worse. Socially, I got worse. Psychologically, I got worse. The only social lesson I had reinforced by high school was avoidance, and that did nothing beneficial. Pretty much every gain I've had related to what you're talking about either occurred outside of high school entirely, outside of normal classes, or after I got out -- as near as I can tell, I'd probably be notably more psychologically stable and socially able if I had avoided more of the experience.

Pretty much this. HS provided nothing to me but misery and terrible experiences, and deeply exacerbated the mountain of personal issues from my home life as well. How I see it is, if you're a normal person, you're good; if you're not, HS is there to fuck you and permanently ingrain into you that you're different and an outsider in society. I would give anything if I could somehow erase those years from my life.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24107 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:02 am »

Ah, MSH, let me put it in clearer terms. High School did more damage to me than it did benefit, on pretty much every level. Academically, I got worse. Socially, I got worse. Psychologically, I got worse. The only social lesson I had reinforced by high school was avoidance, and that did nothing beneficial. Pretty much every gain I've had related to what you're talking about either occurred outside of high school entirely, outside of normal classes, or after I got out -- as near as I can tell, I'd probably be notably more psychologically stable and socially able if I had avoided more of the experience.

Pretty much this. HS provided nothing to me but misery and terrible experiences, and deeply exacerbated the mountain of personal issues from my home life as well. How I see it is, if you're a normal person, you're good; if you're not, HS is there to fuck you and permanently ingrain into you that you're different and an outsider in society. I would give anything if I could somehow erase those years from my life.
I'm by no means normal and High School was good for me.

It was in highschool I learned what, prescisely, WAS normal, and how to pantomime it to get into where I wanted to go. If you don't think that knowing how to pretend to fit in isn't one of the most useful social skills out there you have another thing coming. Elementary school is for learning to play nice. Middle school is for learning how to fight with words (sometimes). High School is for learning how to bide your time, and strike when the time is right.

Maneuverability in the social medium is more vital than knowing where you'll be happy. Because if you can't move your station, how can you find where you fit in? What if what makes you happy changes?

I also learned how to not be friends with douchebags just because they'd talk to me about video games in Middle school. And also not to stalk people, in middle school. I learned how to discern which people were lying in high school, and how to avoid giving it away on my side. I finally decided that I wasn't going to be a default awkward nerd anymore, I decided I was going to be that one kid with a purpose, only nobody knows what it is.

Least of all me.

I also learned I am only an armchair biologist and autopsies make me sick. And that Florida does not take astronomy seriously.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24108 on: December 15, 2012, 11:08:15 am »

I'm starting to realize I may be smarter than most other people simply because of cerebral dominance. It's awesome, but at the same time it kind of hurts my mind. It's weird to think that I might have won the genetic lottery.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24109 on: December 15, 2012, 11:50:20 am »

Edit:  I will give South Putnam HS credit for one thing.  It gave me some unique political/sociological perspective.  I began seriously questioning the value and nature of the social structures around me and all the mechanisms behind people treating me and each other the way they did.  When I started getting into my late teens/early twenties and started being exposed to and reading about actual political philosophies and taking philosophy courses in school, I found that I had already picked apart many of the principles they taught years before on my own.

My high school also taught me that the Catholic Church is full of crap and got me through the condescending atheist phase before I embarrassed myself by turning into one of those atheist philosophy major dudes in college.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24110 on: December 15, 2012, 12:23:12 pm »

Edit:  I will give South Putnam HS credit for one thing.  It gave me some unique political/sociological perspective.  I began seriously questioning the value and nature of the social structures around me and all the mechanisms behind people treating me and each other the way they did.  When I started getting into my late teens/early twenties and started being exposed to and reading about actual political philosophies and taking philosophy courses in school, I found that I had already picked apart many of the principles they taught years before on my own.

My high school also taught me that the Catholic Church is full of crap and got me through the condescending atheist phase before I embarrassed myself by turning into one of those atheist philosophy major dudes in college.
My high school pretty much did that and fucked me over. And on the other hand, I've been reading some of the (college level) books in the bookstore I work in, and I'm realizing I already know have of this stuff, from before high school in some cases. That, combined with the vast majority of the students I see are complete morons, makes me think my school wasn't so bad, which kinda scares the crap out of me.

Note: I went to high school in Florida, and I live in New York. And I heard unsubstantiated rumors that my high school almost lost its accredidation the year I graduated.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24111 on: December 15, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »

My high school did... almost nothing to me. Although I DID have a few teachers that helped shape my worldview.

In high school I just lurked in the shadows mostly, and paced the halls. No friends, few acquaintances, no bullies. No one cared, really.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24112 on: December 15, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »

I'm by no means normal and High School was good for me.

This is highly dependent on what school you go to.  My school was small (~640 students grades 7-12) and the community was very homogeneous.  I failed to fit in in 3rd grade when I first moved there, and that was it.  It wasn't going to get better.  I couldn't fail to pantomime normal with one group and try it again with another.  There was no space in which to learn maneuverability.  I was weird to them in 3rd grade, so I was treated weird, and there was no way for me to escape that role I'd been cast in.  So that's what I was stuck growing up with for the next 8 years.  It didn't help that the community was very conservative.  I was the only non-christian I knew outside of my immediate family until I was 16.  I was raised by highly college educated and liberal parents, one an atheist and one a Jehovah's Witness, both D&D players.  Some of my classmates thought I was a satan worshipper.

And whether or not I homeschool my kids will mostly depend on whether the school situation where we live turns into something like that.

Not that quality of education isn't a factor, too.  I think math and a single art class were the only useful education I got out of school past about 7th grade.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24113 on: December 15, 2012, 01:08:36 pm »

I feel odd now, since I'm generally popular in high school. I was weird in 4th-10th grades, but I managed to overcome the weirdness a bit in 11th and actually came out of my shell this year.
(Bay 12's fault, btw. Thanks for that, sincerely. I think you guys helped me avoid being one of those extreme social awkward people I see on GameFAQs all the time.)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24114 on: December 15, 2012, 01:26:08 pm »

Your parents sound pretty awesome, Salmon.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24115 on: December 15, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »

Your parents sound pretty awesome, Salmon.

Thanks.  They are.  I've only ever had two major conflicts with them in my whole life.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24116 on: December 15, 2012, 02:13:51 pm »

I find it strange that sports people are popular but smart people are not in sterotype America.

The smartest girl in our year was also one of the best soccer and vollyball player. She even plays in competitions. The smartest guy in our year was an avid drinker, a competition gamer and won't take shit from and will puch your face if you do any standard bullying from whatever country your from.

To me, the cool popular crowed are the smart, sociable and athletic people. The kind of people you want to be or admire.

These talks of sad schoollife is kinda WTF to me. The worst that can happen is group fights akin to gang fights but with fists and more brotherhood.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24117 on: December 15, 2012, 02:16:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24118 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17:05 pm »

The worst that can happen is group fights, but your group consists of just you, while the other group consists of everybody else including teachers.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24119 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17:18 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 1606 1607 [1608] 1609 1610 ... 11037