Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14478322 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #19785 on: October 14, 2012, 11:30:00 am »

My friend got griefed in a minecraft pvp server. Nothing special, right?
Well, normally, yes.

But. The griefer left a few signs on a pedestal.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Even creepier is. The base is in the desert.
And there are two huge towers near it. (the rest was underground).

"Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart".

Spoiler: full quote (click to show/hide)

This griefer is incredibly pro.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19786 on: October 14, 2012, 11:31:28 am »

Why do you think that is?
In a number of cases, there just seems to be no need. America is a really bloody huge place, and for a good chunk of our population just wandering around it alone is sufficient to scratch travel urges.

There's also the xenophobia. That's particularly strong in my area. Why the hell would they want to go trapezing around some "dirty foreign shithole?" To channel their prejudices via direct quotation.

You guys don't get sick days?
From some of the horror stories I've heard, a) in some cases, no, and b) in others, actually using them may cause you to lose your job or put you in much greater risk of it. So, functionally, no. It's not quite universal, but it's definitely a thing and particularly prevalent in lower wage jobs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #19787 on: October 14, 2012, 11:34:39 am »

Sick days are for people who can afford to be unhealthy.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19788 on: October 14, 2012, 11:35:23 am »

Why do you think that is?
Most Americans do not have the money, time, or motivation to go to other countries, and even for most of the ones that do America itself is a diverse enough place. Being a vastly monolingual society, there is also little point in going anywhere where English is not spoken by most people, which excludes a good majority of the planet. That is of course not a problem with traveling to the UK in particular but travel in general.
You guys don't get sick days?
Employer's prerogative. They are not required to give you any sick days, vacation days, or holidays whatsoever. The only requirement is that you can take unpaid leave if you've just had a child or have an injured family member (this was enacted in 1993), and even then they can easily fire you anyway under at-will employment legislation. The aforementioned also only applies to private sector employers with more than 50 employees and all public sector jobs.

Decent jobs usually give you about two weeks a year, but the working culture is such that most people don't use that even if they have it. People will see you as lazy if you take time off. My father works in a position where he gets six to eight weeks off a year, and he usually never uses more than one of it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:40:18 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19789 on: October 14, 2012, 11:35:42 am »

That almost makes slavery look like a better option. People at least care about their property and if it's harmed.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19790 on: October 14, 2012, 11:45:09 am »

Then you've got jobs like mine where the employers practically force us to take days off, and then we end up sneaking back into work anyway because damn it, we have things to do.

So definitely varies on employer.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19791 on: October 14, 2012, 11:51:13 am »

Creative. He could've gone full circle and left little notes just buried around everywhere. Maybe he has. How would you know.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #19792 on: October 14, 2012, 11:57:49 am »

Then you've got jobs like mine where the employers practically force us to take days off, and then we end up sneaking back into work anyway because damn it, we have things to do.

So definitely varies on employer.

Super huge mega-corporations are probably the biggest offenders because of pressure from up top. When you're dealing with localized and/or small businesses, your bosses are more likely to care because they don't get unnecessary stress about cutting costs.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19793 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »

Also, even companies that are generally chill about sick days (mine, for example, allows up to two weeks before they shuffle it into medical leave, which has a six month limit) require written paperwork confirming treatment.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19794 on: October 14, 2012, 02:31:48 pm »

My friend got griefed in a minecraft pvp server. Nothing special, right?
Well, normally, yes.

But. The griefer left a few signs on a pedestal.

Even creepier is. The base is in the desert.
And there are two huge towers near it. (the rest was underground).

"Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart".

Spoiler: full quote (click to show/hide)

This griefer is incredibly pro.
Best griefer ever.

If only all trolls were as creative and learned.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19795 on: October 14, 2012, 02:32:00 pm »

Finished my homework in Unity and told it to Build and Run.  Built the game, opened it up... and somehow instead of building MY level, it re-built the sample our instructor gave us, except glitchier, weirder, and really messed up.  I don't even...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19796 on: October 14, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »

Fun stuff :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19797 on: October 14, 2012, 02:39:31 pm »

Finished my homework in Unity and told it to Build and Run.  Built the game, opened it up... and somehow instead of building MY level, it re-built the sample our instructor gave us, except glitchier, weirder, and really messed up.  I don't even...
Work the glitches into a game based around exploiting the game rules to achieve victory over horrendously OP enemies.

And the bosses are all giant 3D missingno. or constantly deforming eldritch abominations with no textures.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19798 on: October 14, 2012, 02:41:43 pm »

Found the problem, though I still expect Unity to randomly burst into flames every time I touch it o_O

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19799 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »

Re: "sick time". A whole lot of jobs in the US (including some that pay better than minimum wage) have essentially no conception of taking time off. The place where I work when I'm not in classes even tries to stop people from swapping shifts with each other; missing three days is grounds for automatic termination (even if you were too ill to call in, etc.). When you've got people lining up to take your place, you can't protest very much.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 11037