Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14472614 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #18390 on: October 02, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »

Basically this whole argument has made me 'WTF?'
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18391 on: October 02, 2012, 12:21:03 pm »

Seriously. It's counting to one. Either you go 'One' or 'Zero, one' or 'Five, four, three, two, one'. Pick your personal preference.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18392 on: October 02, 2012, 12:26:42 pm »

Seriously. It's counting to one. Either you go 'One' or 'Zero, one' or 'Five, four, three, two, one'. Pick your personal preference.
The debate is whether just saying "one" is "counting to one." :P

If this makes you WTF, never take a philosophy class. Wait, scratch that; take a philosophy class. Your brain will probably melt but it will be good for you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18393 on: October 02, 2012, 12:30:30 pm »

Nah, its easy.  Just find a man with one leg (or nose might be easier) and count how many legs he's got.  Bam, counted to one.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18394 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:14 pm »

Nah, its easy.  Just find a man with one leg (or nose might be easier) and count how many legs he's got.  Bam, counted to one.
Ah, but thats counting one, not counting to one.
Yeah, this argument is a little silly.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18395 on: October 02, 2012, 12:33:04 pm »

And anyways, you started counting at zero. ;)

Also, have we actually discussed any philosophy? I'm pretty sure this whole conversation has been about communication?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18396 on: October 02, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »

But you're starting off as zero in that case, as you go from having counted zero legs to having counted one leg.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18397 on: October 02, 2012, 12:33:15 pm »

Hey, counting down to one also counts as counting to one! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18398 on: October 02, 2012, 12:33:48 pm »

The debate is whether just saying "one" is "counting to one." :P

If this makes you WTF, never take a philosophy class. Wait, scratch that; take a philosophy class. Your brain will probably melt but it will be good for you.

Philosophy major: But why would you like fries with that?
Maths major: Because. I'm. Fucking. Hungry.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18399 on: October 02, 2012, 12:34:19 pm »

The problem here is: is there somebody with 3 legs so we can get valve to count to 3?

Also agreed with haslanda. Philosophy is not something for me.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18400 on: October 02, 2012, 12:34:26 pm »

It's pretty easy to do if you have a set of finite cardinality whose last member is one when well-ordered, yes?

Or a countably infinite set of order ω+1, like {1/2, 3/4, 7/8...1}, if you want to keep counting for a while

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18401 on: October 02, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »

Also, have we actually discussed any philosophy? I'm pretty sure this whole conversation has been about communication?
I've been talking about concepts a lot, so I figured it'd be roughly in the realm of metaphysics.

Plus the first thing they teach in philosophy is logical debate and definitions of crap, so yeah.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18402 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »

Hmm. I guess so. I never really did well at philosophy, it just made me think everyone was idiots. "None of this is actually important to what your arguing! Don't you understand the structure you've even built? All I'm asking for is a bit of clarity and consistency" and aside from Dennet, they never, ever provided it. And even he did poorly.

But communication is just a tool philosophers use, usually poorly - it's not really philosophy itself. The question here was not conceptual, but mechanical ("Using the common definitions of counting, to, one, can we count to one?"), and the argument was most semantic (esp. in regards to proper framework of contextualization), but not particularly philosophical.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18403 on: October 02, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »

Test, Test. I cant post in the OOC thread, it says that my last post was less then 15 seconds ago. I waited, but its still not working.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18404 on: October 02, 2012, 12:40:23 pm »

And anyways, you started counting at zero. ;)

Y'all have been discussin' either the ethics or aesthetics (though the latter is more fundamental than the former, so it might boil down to aesthetics anyway if you go deep enough) of a particular language and communication method, yeah, depending on how you look at it.

Philosophy's really hard to actually get away from. S'what you get when you deal with the foundation of pretty much all academic (/all, period) subjects.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 11037