Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14482142 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #17040 on: September 20, 2012, 12:13:57 pm »

There's a macromeme topic in forum games, ya'll know.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17041 on: September 20, 2012, 12:18:55 pm »

... that's not a new game. Just a fancier board than normal. Drunken Battleship is a classic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17042 on: September 20, 2012, 12:37:41 pm »

I'm saying that making a big deal about what happens in movies is ridiculous. And just for clarification, where is my strawman? It seems like something that gets claimed a lot here, even where it isn't really there. At most, I put some hyperbole in there.

The hyperbole is the strawman. A strawman is the act of ascribing positions to your opponent that they don't have, or arguments that they don't use. You did both with "Saying that a film should have to have female main characters or else it obviously hates women".
Love, scriver~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17043 on: September 20, 2012, 12:44:09 pm »

A sad/wtf mix, when i drove out of my street yesterday (its a side-street of a semi-major road) on my bike, going to school, i as usual drove to the close bus stop where i wait for my friend. There was a black (well, more like brown, but it was clear that he was not a white man with a tan) man with only a few dirty looking clothes and a wooden guitar thingy (banjo?) trying to lift at the bus stop. That's all he had. It was really the kind of view that a professional photographer would take a picture off to put it in a paper with a semi-symbolic meaning.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17044 on: September 20, 2012, 12:55:32 pm »

Okay so I think that feminism is a big dramay thing, you all think it's okay, neither of us are going to let up, that's pretty much the entire thing. But I am more than willing to ignore that because of the new xkcd comic. I really don't think I can see this whole thing in one sitting. I've currently crossed the ocean to the left and am looking around the underground section. It's all so HUGE.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17045 on: September 20, 2012, 01:11:39 pm »

As a side note, I did notice that in the same sentence you accused me of using a strawman, you also accused me of supporting wife beating.
I'm pretty sure that was an intentional example of illustrative irony. But yes, you were strawmanning - you were arguing against a position no one holds. Certainly no one here, and no feminist elsewhere I've ever met anyway.

And feminism doesn't just to woman's stuff, they've actually been doing a lot of stuff to help guys escape from their repressive gender roles as well. The name is certainly a bit of a misnomer in some ways, because as it's commonly applied today it's not really woman specific.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17046 on: September 20, 2012, 01:13:51 pm »

I think feminism provides an alternative look at sociology, but its jsut an alternative.  Its commonly overhyped and taken to an extremity that undermines the work it does.  Psychoanalysis did that, and now the very mention of Freud brings rants of... well....
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17047 on: September 20, 2012, 01:24:09 pm »

I think feminism provides an alternative look at sociology, but its jsut an alternative.  Its commonly overhyped and taken to an extremity that undermines the work it does.  Psychoanalysis did that, and now the very mention of Freud brings rants of... well....

It would be more accurately that it is rarely but noticeably taken to an extremity that undermines the work it does. The majority of feminism is productive and a good thing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17048 on: September 20, 2012, 01:38:11 pm »

The Bechdeltest and how many movies fail it! O.o
I guess this makes mine today.
More feminist bullshit. Saying that a film should have to have female main characters or else it obviously hates women. It sounds like one of these things where they're picking over something incredibly inane to pretend that women are some sort of oppressed slave class.
Nice strawman there. Did you make it yourself, or find it written on a bookmark in an old volume of How to Beat Your Wife::)

Did you even read what it measures? All a movie has to do to pass is have at least one scene (no matter how short) where 1. two female characters (named, if you follow a stricter standard) 2. talk about something 3. other than men.

Now think about how many movies fail it. Then think about how many movies fail the reverse (having at least one scene where two or more named male characters talk about something other than women). It's not about individual movies being sexist, it's about the industry as a whole having a decidedly (heterosexual) male-oriented slant.

I'm reallly sick of this neo-masculinism (andrinism?) thing where men use the fact that there are some admittedly crazy feminists to dismiss feminism as a whole. It's like saying that environmental activists are all lunatic nutjobs because of PETA. That, and it's a poorly disguised excuse for certain types of men to go right on being sexist assholes.
I'm saying that making a big deal about what happens in movies is ridiculous. And just for clarification, where is my strawman? It seems like something that gets claimed a lot here, even where it isn't really there. At most, I put some hyperbole in there.

But it's the fact that it's acting as if the speaking roles in movies is actually important. Which it really isn't. As well as that I dislike feminism, I find it hard to believe that something named feminism is for equal rights rather than female superiority.

As a side note, I did notice that in the same sentence you accused me of using a strawman, you also accused me of supporting wife beating.

More feminist bullshit. Saying that a film should have to have female main characters or else it obviously hates women. It sounds like one of these things where they're picking over something incredibly inane to pretend that women are some sort of oppressed slave class.

"I am blatantly misrepresenting the intent of this thing. I then use my misrepresentation to explain why it isn't credible."

Strawman (n.):
1. A person compared to a straw image; a sham.
2. A sham argument set up to be defeated.

You presented the Bechdel test as being something it obviously isn't, then used that faulty representation to dismiss it as "more feminist bullshit". What you did was a damned near perfect example of a strawman.

Feminism is dubbed what it is because the movement began when women were clear-cut second class citizens. What's next, are you going to try and claim that the NAACP exists to promote black supremacy?

Re: Your last point. My statement was a clear example of sarcasm. Oh, wait.

Sarcasm (n.):
1. The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I was making an ironic statement about the views which tend to lurk just beneath the surface of your apparent stance, while also showing just how much I detest that sort of thinking. It also helps that I wasn't the one spouting the sort of crap that you typically hear from misogynists who don't want to admit that they're bigoted. It's rather strange how so many white-heterosexual-males in the West tend to see "Let's have everyone be equal." as "Dem wimmenz and n- want to make us slaves!" Actually, not so strange. It's nice being on the top of the social order, isn't it? Almost makes one want to deliberately resist anything that might force one to compete with everyone else on an equal playing field.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17049 on: September 20, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »

I was making an ironic statement about the views which tend to lurk just beneath the surface of your apparent stance, while also showing just how much I detest that sort of thinking. It also helps that I wasn't the one spouting the sort of crap that you typically hear from misogynists who don't want to admit that they're bigoted. It's rather strange how so many white-heterosexual-males in the West tend to see "Let's have everyone be equal." as "Dem wimmenz and n- want to make us slaves!" Actually, not so strange. It's nice being on the top of the social order, isn't it? Almost makes one want to deliberately resist anything that might force one to compete with everyone else on an equal playing field.
Look, I found Strawtown!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17050 on: September 20, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »

Look, I found Strawtown!
Population: 2.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17051 on: September 20, 2012, 02:32:47 pm »

http://www.macromeme.com/dog/learning-german.html
Where is this guide book?
That looks vaguely like a Lonely Planet guidebook. I seem to remember my Chinese and Czech ones having something similar.

Okay, we need some cans of chillax in here, stat.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:39:53 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17053 on: September 20, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »

What a fucking terrible idea.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17054 on: September 20, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/georgia-indoor-gun-range-given-liquor-license-opening-192214797.html

what could possibly go wrong?

Haha.

Funnily enough I just noticed that the coffee shop I go to in the morning apparently has a liquor license and sells beer.  I find that so odd for some reason.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 11037