Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480985 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #17010 on: September 20, 2012, 07:07:30 am »

Oh I know, but the amount of big titles that fail it is kinda scary. I first saw the test and wa like "okay?" but then I looked at the list of recent big movies and saw way more of them failed it than should. I'm not surprised both expendables failed it, but apparently "the Lorax" did too O.o (I swear the Grandma and mom talked to each other a couple of times though >.>) The amazing Spiderman apparently fails it, Dark Knight Rises, Madagascar 3, MIB 3....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:11:06 am by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17011 on: September 20, 2012, 07:45:21 am »

Unpopular Observation: Real life often fails the Bechdel test.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: September 20, 2012, 09:05:56 am »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:54:41 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17013 on: September 20, 2012, 09:07:08 am »

Anything? Everything? The judge's arse on a silver plate?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17014 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:05 am »

3 count criminal offense, drunk diving. Possible max jail time 1 year, few thousand in fines, etc etc etc. They have him on video camera.... It isn't the worst, but it sure isn't good.
Wait, how in the world is a recording not the worst? Did you get it excluded?
I get a plea to drop 2 of the 3 charges and get favorable sentencing on the last one. Judge says I can expect 10 days jail and 45 days electronic monitoring with the standard fines and stuff. Prosecutor said the LEAST I could expect would be 15. Keep in mind it's open sentencing but when the judge says it, eh not bad as far as believing it.
Sounds like the prosecutor is trying to trick you into something if he's saying the minimum sentence is going to be more than what the judge told you.
Client now wants to bargain on when he starts serving the time, making it so he does more on weekends to secure job/miss fewer days of work.... I get it. I really do, but come on.... If you piss off the prosecutor, then he'll take back the plea deal and they have you on video tape man.... I get it that you're freaking out because the consequences just became "real" to you, but you don't have much of another option here. If a judge sees that tape, disk, DVD, whatever, you're hosed.
Weekend imprisonment is a thing, at least in NC, if I'm recalling right. You could at least bring it up if the prosecutor isn't crazy and would revoke the whole deal over a single offer.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:34 am »

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good deal O.o Your client sounds like they like to take risks xD
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17016 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:09 am »

3 count criminal offense, drunk diving. Possible max jail time 1 year, few thousand in fines, etc etc etc. They have him on video camera.... It isn't the worst, but it sure isn't good.
I can imagine that a confession would be far worse.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17017 on: September 20, 2012, 09:16:46 am »

I can imagine that a confession would be far worse.
A confession can have its legitimacy disputed due to duress, ignorance, police trickery, or even claiming it to be a forgery. Truean has spoken at length about how "that's not my signature" is a decent defense.

Cameras do not lie, however.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17018 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:52 am »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:54:09 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: September 20, 2012, 09:54:18 am »

Witnesses are generally considered very poor evidence because people are easily fooled, mistaken, or coerced into giving false testimony. Real, scientific evidence is better, ALWAYS, than witnesses. By extension, confessions are pretty lame also. It's partially because its so easy to make someone confess to something they didn't do by being all helpful and supportive of them. That's why any interrogation instantly ends the instant you say, "I wanna lawyer."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:18 am »

Witnesses are generally considered very poor evidence because people are easily fooled, mistaken, or coerced into giving false testimony.
Unless they're cops, in which case their word is taken as objective truth.
Real, scientific evidence is better, ALWAYS, than witnesses. By extension, confessions are pretty lame also. It's partially because its so easy to make someone confess to something they didn't do by being all helpful and supportive of them.
Doesn't really matter to the courts.
That's why any interrogation instantly ends the instant you say, "I wanna lawyer."
No it doesn't. They don't have to let you see a lawyer or stop trying to interrogate you, they have to let you have one at trial.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #17021 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:55 am »

Witnesses are generally considered very poor evidence because people are easily fooled, mistaken, or coerced into giving false testimony.
Unless they're cops, in which case their word is taken as objective truth.
Real, scientific evidence is better, ALWAYS, than witnesses. By extension, confessions are pretty lame also. It's partially because its so easy to make someone confess to something they didn't do by being all helpful and supportive of them.
Doesn't really matter to the courts.
That's why any interrogation instantly ends the instant you say, "I wanna lawyer."
No it doesn't. They don't have to let you see a lawyer or stop trying to interrogate you, they have to let you have one at trial.

I remember when I was in a wreck with a police car (lucky me, at least the lights/sirens were off) and who was at fault was questionable. I brought pictures of the damage and skid marks and whatnot with me. It's not exactly a foolproof defense, but it was enough that if they had done their normal measurements they would have found that the guy was speeding significantly, which forfeits right-of-way in VA. He walked up to the judge, drew the road with the wrong number of lanes on the board, and that was it. No accident report was looked at, no anything. Luckily for a first traffic violation you can take a class to get the points taken off your license, but it still didn't instill trust in the system.

I've always wondered about that asking for a lawyer thing.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: September 20, 2012, 10:51:06 am »

Rights: You have the right to pretend you have rights.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: September 20, 2012, 11:10:51 am »

To the best of my knowledge: You never have to say anything at all to the police. If you do talk to the police while your lawyer isn't there then they can still use anything you say in court (assuming they read you your miranda rights first and didn't beat you or anything).

Don't ever even consider talking to the police if your lawyer isn't there (people do however, and it is a bad bad idea).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: September 20, 2012, 11:12:37 am »

The Bechdeltest and how many movies fail it! O.o
I guess this makes mine today.
More feminist bullshit. Saying that a film should have to have female main characters or else it obviously hates women. It sounds like one of these things where they're picking over something incredibly inane to pretend that women are some sort of oppressed slave class.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 11037