Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11034 11035 [11036] 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14406731 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165525 on: September 17, 2024, 01:59:22 pm »

Oh heh yeah, that is the Dutch spelling of Lebanon
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #165526 on: September 17, 2024, 02:16:25 pm »

Holy, that is a brilliant operation that must have taken tremendous effort by some security service, to get all those beepers loaded with explosives and sold to Hezbollah.

Libanon and Syria blame Israel.
Batteries are basically bombs already, I wouldn't be surprised if they could explode them with nothing but a software update.

The battery in a pager won't be a very strong bomb, but if your cellphone was intentionally overheated with all safetys disabled while in your pocket it would fuck you up as well, no need to add explosives at all.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #165527 on: September 17, 2024, 02:22:03 pm »

Imagine this happening to electric cars. A software error blowing up the car batteries. That would probably be millions of deaths worldwide, depending on which car brand it is. Lithium burns rapidly and violently.

I am very curious where they bought the beepers. Made in China most likely, but where they went in between the factory and the buyer?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 02:26:01 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #165528 on: September 17, 2024, 03:19:33 pm »

Death toll in Lebanon has risen to 11.
At least 4000 people have been injured. 400 are in critical condition. Every citizen of Lebanon has been called upon to donate blood.
Many hundreds of Hezbollah fighters will be too crippled to join any fighting soon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 03:21:49 pm by martinuzz »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165529 on: September 17, 2024, 03:26:40 pm »

Yeah definitely more than batteries in those pagers to do that kind of damage.

As for car batteries - you couldn't just do it in software, there are many layers of hardware protection in there as well.  So you'd have to really mess with the supply chain to do the same kind of thing there, probably significantly more difficult than with handheld electronics.

Fun times ahead, now, regardless; I'm guessing the import inspections on all handheld electronics are going to become massively more rigorous, intrusive, and expensive.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #165530 on: September 17, 2024, 03:44:40 pm »

Apparently Hezbollah beeper users never travel by airplane, or explosives would have been sniffed out by airport scanners

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165531 on: September 17, 2024, 04:12:19 pm »

Also possible the airport scanners just missed it! Never hurts to remember much of that security theater isn't particularly helpful.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165532 on: September 17, 2024, 04:35:43 pm »

The question then becomes, did they also manage to track the pagers? With high odds that the pagers were one-way, if you're going to add explosives, why not add a transmitter?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #165533 on: September 17, 2024, 04:35:54 pm »

I think part of the scan for explosives at airports is swabbing hands to find particulates if you’ve been handling explosives, which presumably wouldn’t be the case in this instance if there were explosives present and hidden.

I don’t know if they would use sniffer dogs regularly enough to catch a tiny amount of explosive (a BBC article talking to “experts” suggests 10-20mg could be hidden in a fake component) or if the explosive was sufficiently sealed away to avoid any/enough odour to be detected by the dogs.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165534 on: September 17, 2024, 08:18:14 pm »

Oh heh yeah, that is the Dutch spelling of Lebanon
But what's the Hollandaise one? Don't want to be Friesing our linguistic possibilities unless we're totally averse to going out on a Limburg.

(Sorry, a few bad puns, about which you might now be Groningen at.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #165535 on: September 18, 2024, 05:26:08 am »

Exploding batteries can be ruled out. The beepers, 'Gold Apollo' do not have lithium batteries, they work on 2 simple AAA batteries. Those can not explode that violently.

EDIT: or wait. The newer model has a lithium battery that could have been used as a heat source for detonating explosives using malware
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 05:27:46 am by martinuzz »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #165536 on: September 18, 2024, 08:46:25 am »

Multiple sources suggest that each pager had been modified to contain 20 grams of PETN.

There's also sources saying that the pagers were intended to be detonated at the outset of any major military operation, but two people discovered the bombs and Israel only successfully assassinated one - making it a "use it now or lose it" weapon. So they used it now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #165537 on: September 18, 2024, 09:06:10 am »

Indeed. The latest news says they wanted to detonate them as a precursor to a massive assault on Hezbollah. One Hezbollah member got suspicious and was assasinated before spreading his suspicion. When another one got suspicious, Israeli intelligence had a emergency meeting and decided to explode them right now. They did inform the US a few hours beforehand that they were about to do 'something'.

Very good action. Mostly non-lethal, and taking a large part of armed enemy forces out of action for weeks / months / years / lifetime of wheelchair. That is better than being killed, right?

The Iranian ambassador in Lebanon lost at least one eye and is severly injured.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 09:09:41 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #165538 on: September 18, 2024, 09:45:41 am »

Oh wow. Bonus points!

Another round of explosions in Lebanon: now it's walkie-talkies exploding. The walkie talkies were bought at the same time as the beepers. Brilliant double tactic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165539 on: September 18, 2024, 12:38:17 pm »

Very good action. Mostly non-lethal, and taking a large part of armed enemy forces out of action for weeks / months / years / lifetime of wheelchair. That is better than being killed, right?
Like... to push back on this one a bit, reporting I could find is saying there were a few hundred pagers sabotaged, but a few thousand people injured. Or in other words, that very good, mostly non-lethal action would have been inflicted predominately on just random people in the general vicinity of whoever was carrying one of those things.

That sounds a hell of a lot less like a very good action and more like a very literally indiscriminate attack on a primarily civilian population :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 11034 11035 [11036] 11037