Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14359233 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165465 on: August 31, 2024, 02:25:32 am »

I found out about lash eggs.

I want to scream and/or cry.

Hah, wimp. Looked it up and it is not even in the top 50 of my worst discoveries list.
It might be in part that my intrusive thoughts keep making me imagine biting into one.
Seems like the best way to prevent that is to not take bites out of random raw eggs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #165466 on: September 03, 2024, 01:53:43 pm »

National Enquirer headline:

Is the TSA watching YOU?

Yes, that is their job.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #165467 on: September 03, 2024, 07:50:44 pm »

[Please do not quote]

... Local housing building aimed less at making a profit and more at making a low, sustainable profit by keeping rents low.... (gotta pay for crap somehow).
Idea is to be choosy who is rented to (within legal limits of course) to lower vacancy rate, damages cost, etc.
Therefore, slow and steady wins the race with low rent but decent quality. It's not the Ritz, but it's livable. Rent roughly 20-30% below other places.
Functional, not fancy. There's some crap wrong with it but that's mostly cosmetic. The same crack in the wall  has been stable for 30 years.
That crack has a name and is considered a resident with a Santa hat taped up in December, who has not changed, forever, and the engineer said was fine.

Anyhow, the auditor comes around and decides it's increased in value 200% from when purchased  last in 2018....
This means property taxes increase, etc. Nobody really wants to raise the rent but if the value goes up 200%, guess what....
Some jerk conservative's 2nd cousin twice removed who "needed a job" and got one with city property valuation is upset it's being disputed....

Reasonable argument: The idea is that it is not so much a business and (low) rent price should be used to determine value to the extent it is for taxation purposes.
The city is asked to consider the discounts given to tenants (veterans, teachers, disabled, healthcare professionals, police, and recent domestic violence victims).
To the extent it is an asset of a business, the valuation should depend upon the revenue generated, and the positive social impact savings for the city considered.
Further, there has only been 1 code violation in 6 or 7 years, which was promptly documented, and fixed with a remediation and maintenance plan.
There is absolutely no intention to sell, ever if possible. The last price was 2018. Some increase perhaps, but not 200%....

Jerk's argument: Prices of comparable properties have gone up 200% and their rents have also gone up. Whether or not these rents are artificially lowered
doesn't matter at all. "Just to clarify," Supply and Demand [Which he misapplies but whatever] means the actual value of the property is higher by this amount.

Basically: The crazy ones running on "low taxes," are raising them through unrealistic property (tax) valuations (on those who didn't donate to their campaigns) and thus part of why rent is increasing. The idea of keeping a place affordable to live is just a god damn alien concept and apparently completely inappropriate somehow. Common sense, decency, rationality, some sense of community, nope none of that apparently. Line go up on graph, because line go up on graph. Fun fight ....

[Please do not quote]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 07:57:03 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165468 on: September 03, 2024, 08:01:32 pm »

Does your location not have a rule that limits nax increase in tax due each year regarding an assessment, and/or an assessment appeal process?

When I had a rental property and its value increased fast, like 10% a year or whatever, the most taxes could go up was like 1%; the only time it would jump "all at once" is in transfer of ownership.

I understand an appeal may be expensive, but would it be more expebsive than the tax increase?

Regardless, it is true that real estate law and taxes are indeed a big part of systemic economic issues. I'm happy to be done with our days as a rental property owner.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165469 on: September 04, 2024, 04:59:16 am »

Well, one of the major questions I did my thesis on was apparently answered almost a decade ago, I already finished my thesis so it isn't bad for me probably, but it is gonna be interesting to see how a proof for that subject actually looks.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #165470 on: September 04, 2024, 02:35:07 pm »

[Please do not quote]

O, familiar with process.... engaged in it for 20+ years for several clients.... This new BS is different though. The issue is the insanity and hypocrisy of a new crop of morons who tend to be conservative, because the nepotism is real.... Never said I owned the place.... Ironically, I have multiple reasons to know the process more than this conservative "nepo baby" ever could. He got here through his father. I fought, scrapped, clawed and bit my way through everything on my own. There's an admin process, then a lawsuit, etc. He is clueless and should never have had the job; I am not. Takes several months. He actually was stupid enough to sneer and look at me like I was stupid when I just calmly smiled as he said "The lawyer's fees alone will eat you alive." A.) Untrue. B.) Inapplicable here. The filing fees have increased though.

The con ideological B.S. making it impossible for the average person to live in this country is just... completely, non nonsensically insane. All the wrong people are on the wrong sides according to the incorrect narrative. The political machine he is part of may eventually reap consequences of what they sow(raising rents) but until then....

[Please do not quote]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165471 on: September 05, 2024, 12:00:34 pm »

What do you mean, dragdeler is gone?!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165472 on: September 05, 2024, 05:11:00 pm »

Apparently... I'd been kinda' worried, they were looking like they were having an increasing amount of trouble lately. If it culminated in some kind of bigoted screed it'd fit with the trajectory.

Hope things turn out better for 'em, though, it sounded like life was shitting on them pretty hard and they weren't having any luck getting a proverbial umbrella or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165473 on: September 05, 2024, 06:04:09 pm »

Apparently... I'd been kinda' worried, they were looking like they were having an increasing amount of trouble lately. If it culminated in some kind of bigoted screed it'd fit with the trajectory.

Hope things turn out better for 'em, though, it sounded like life was shitting on them pretty hard and they weren't having any luck getting a proverbial umbrella or somethin'.

Dang... Why did he had to do that though? Now, I kinda get ranting. But how far could he had gone to invoke a ban from Toady?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165474 on: September 05, 2024, 06:26:46 pm »

He said something along the lines of 'why do you care about those Semites killing ech other? They're not like us' etc. I'd think being particularly nasty to Strongpoint contributed, although those posts are still there.

I don't know about this one, man. On the one hand you want to cut the guy some slack on account of his issues. But then again, we'd be letting a crazy person shout vile shit on the corner of our street.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165475 on: September 05, 2024, 07:40:33 pm »

And the non-EU Europe thread got locked for it. Not that surprised, and probably better for the forum's (And my) health.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165476 on: September 06, 2024, 02:27:52 am »

Well damn, I had a bad feeling that at some point he'd explode into some massive rant that'd get him banned.

It seems like this is a year has seen quite a few bans.
Also a politics thread getting locked is for the best, hopefully the rest follow suit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165477 on: September 06, 2024, 02:36:37 am »

He said something along the lines of 'why do you care about those Semites killing ech other? They're not like us' etc. I'd think being particularly nasty to Strongpoint contributed, although those posts are still there.

I don't know about this one, man. On the one hand you want to cut the guy some slack on account of his issues. But then again, we'd be letting a crazy person shout vile shit on the corner of our street.
Ah i see. Thank you for the eyewitness account of what occurred. I was not there for this incident. (I was probably playing video games or editing videos)

'why do you care about those Semites killing ech other? They're not like us'
This likely refers to violence between Arab and Jewish people since both Arabic and Hebrew are Semitic languages (along with Amharic). In my opinion, it is bigoted to otherize Arab, Jewish, and other Semitic peoples. We are all human. We must form an inclusive and welcoming society.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165478 on: September 06, 2024, 02:59:19 am »

Also a politics thread getting locked is for the best, hopefully the rest follow suit.
And when all remaining topics and members are of the most inoffensive, anodyne disposition, there will be no more point in talking about anything but the weather, and the forum will have died for good.
I don't think it's for the best.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165479 on: September 06, 2024, 08:03:49 am »

So you got some good weather up there bud?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears