Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11024 11025 [11026] 11027 11028 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14408690 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165375 on: August 19, 2024, 04:35:48 pm »

While it's clear that drilling for more oil & gas would increase supply

Even that much isn't crystal-clear. Raw material sources are only one piece of the puzzle. You still have to transport the crude, refine it, and then distribute the final product. Putting in a lot of new wellheads likely means you won't have transportation infrastructure in place to get the crude to the refinery and have to use makeshifts like trucks that are low volume and expensive compared to a pipeline. This is even more complex because most of the infrastructure we do have doesn't run in those directions - for many years, US petroleum companies were selling off most domestic crude on the global market because most US stuff is high-grade, easy to refine and fetches a high price. Then importing nearly-impossible-to-refine garbage from other countries at a low price to maximize profits because our refineries can refine almost anything. So the infrastructure from the oil fields goes to shipping-out ports while the refineries are mostly fed from importation terminals. There's slack capacity in the refinery system because the US has stopped importing garbage oil from Russia and Venezuala, but it isn't necessarily enough to handle a wide increase in domestic drilling. Only when we reach the refined-product stage do we encounter an area where the existing infrastructure could probably handle it.

Once you've sunk immense capital into the wellheads, then even more into giant pipelines for distributing crude, and possibly even refinery improvements to handle the volume, you're looking at a massive red mark on the ledger. The oil itself will be inherently more expensive as ell because it probably will be high quality and will be produced under the high wages and expensive safety standards inherent to developed nations. With all the costs involved, it is very unlikely that we can actually drill our way to lower energy prices.

Meanwhile wind and solar are incredibly (and increasingly) cheap, while nuclear is expensive but produces so much power that the cost is heavily offset. The way to bring energy prices down is to invest heavily in those areas to eliminate fossil fuels from the power grid. Followed by a push for more mass transit (subsidized electric busses as well as light passenger rail) and pushing even harder to phase out ICE passenger cars in favor of EVs. That's worth doing for purely economic reasons, with the nice side benefit that pollution would drop massively.

EDIT because I forgot half of what I was trying to respond to

(In the same interview he said his policies would reduce energy prices by 50%, and also that if Harris' tax plans take effect that a middle-class tax bill would likely quadruple.  The only way I can think of a tax bill quadrupling is if you are presently sitting very close to the zero tax level, basically just over the standard deduction. So while maybe true in some specific corner cases, I doubt it would be true for the "average" taxpayer.

The people currently sitting close to the zero tax level aren't going to be affected by any proposals from Harris - she's not proposing increases to the lower tax brackets. If anything, the expanded credits and rate reductions she wants to push would reduce or eliminate those people's tax bills. Where she wants to raise taxes is at the corporate level and on the very wealthy. Who also happen to be the ones that have lots and lots of money to fund organizations demonizing anybody who might increase their tax bills.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 04:40:19 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165376 on: August 20, 2024, 08:33:33 am »

While it's clear that drilling for more oil & gas would increase supply, and that all else equal prices do go up if there is scarcity, I'm not sure why he thinks that increasing oil supply will magically increase the supply of all goods and services.
This part, at least, is justifiable - energy is the foundation of every part of the supply chain, including transportation, so cheaper energy makes everything easier to produce and distribute.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165377 on: August 20, 2024, 06:20:20 pm »

Just had a somewhat bizarre phone call with someone from my health insurance. One of those conversations that I'm almost 100% certain I was talking to an AI. Nothing particularly dire, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165378 on: August 20, 2024, 10:20:00 pm »

I would call and get a live person for 2 reasons.

First off, if that is wrong you want a person double checking it. I have had this happen.

Second, even if it isn't bad, it could be next time and those companies can't get too comfy doing this crap. Or else they'll do it when it is important later.

I had this happen once and it nearly cost me about $2000 in copay. The prerecorded crap said I was fine, til I got the bill. Then I had to fight it and play them the voicemail it left me....

I Don't know just be safe. We live in a world where Disney wanted to say some guy couldn't sue when his wife died cause he had a streaming subscription. They finally backed down though..... It doesn't matter on details, because the point is you never know what they will try to pull.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #165379 on: August 21, 2024, 09:06:42 am »

I would call and get a live person for 2 reasons.

First off, if that is wrong you want a person double checking it. I have had this happen.

Second, even if it isn't bad, it could be next time and those companies can't get too comfy doing this crap. Or else they'll do it when it is important later.

I had this happen once and it nearly cost me about $2000 in copay. The prerecorded crap said I was fine, til I got the bill. Then I had to fight it and play them the voicemail it left me....

I Don't know just be safe. We live in a world where Disney wanted to say some guy couldn't sue when his wife died cause he had a streaming subscription. They finally backed down though..... It doesn't matter on details, because the point is you never know what they will try to pull.
It was a trial subscription that almost cost him his jury trial.

Disney put some spin that they were "waiving" their mandatory binding arbitration clause, but in reality they likely just dodged a probably adverse ruling so they could pull the same stunt next time.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165380 on: August 21, 2024, 11:31:18 am »

Basically yes.

Fox owns Alien, the space monster movie. Disney owns Fox. Disney became the monster.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #165381 on: August 21, 2024, 01:18:10 pm »

Felt like having a bit of a drink, so I bought one of those 4pack craft [foos].  Was on special, a store-specific discount given to crap that doesnt sell.  $12.  I get home and my phone tells me I spent $16 on it, which sounds like about the regular price of it undiscounted.

I mean, on one hand I dont care about a couple bucks, on the other its my money and given its a small business Im 100% positive its an intentional overcharge.  Half tempted to go back and demand a refund on principle, but really is it that serious?

Spoiler: . (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #165382 on: August 21, 2024, 03:20:34 pm »

From my understanding (based on a reddit comment or two) lawyers basically throw every possible objection they have at the wall pre-trial in the hope that something sticks or that the other side forgets to argue against it.
Some of these things are pretty obviously stupid and get dismissed basically out of hand, but that's typically the end of it.

Unless of course its *so* stupid and malicious that it manages to become actual news.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #165383 on: August 21, 2024, 04:45:13 pm »

From my understanding (based on a reddit comment or two) lawyers basically throw every possible objection they have at the wall pre-trial in the hope that something sticks or that the other side forgets to argue against it.
Some of these things are pretty obviously stupid and get dismissed basically out of hand, but that's typically the end of it.

Unless of course its *so* stupid and malicious that it manages to become actual news.

It looks like Disney were trying to get the issue heard behind closed doors in arbitration (that was the terms in the free trial the guy signed up to they were referring to) so the details would remain private.

Evidently Disney’s legal team are unaware of the Streisand Effect.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #165384 on: August 21, 2024, 09:58:43 pm »

The final conclusion of that was that Disney has no liability whatsoever, because the restaurant in question was not owned or operated by them - it was a third-party renting space. This was in fact the original defense offered. At which point the plaintiff started dumping everything in the media, which likely made Disney's lawyers want the situation resolved quickly.

This makes things look a lot more like a "the people actually at fault are going to be hard to get at and don't have all that much money, you're rich and wouldn't dare fight this because I'll drag you through the mud!". Disney is virtually guaranteed to win in court.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165385 on: August 22, 2024, 03:12:02 am »

This makes things look a lot more like a "the people actually at fault are going to be hard to get at and don't have all that much money, you're rich and wouldn't dare fight this because I'll drag you through the mud!". Disney is virtually guaranteed to win in court.

Yes melord, you are endowed to declare a franchise as part or not part of your brand as it suits you, no need to consult the high priests.
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #165386 on: August 22, 2024, 03:17:21 am »

A huge portion of the restaurants in Disney parks are not run by Disney. This has been true since 1955, where the majority of the businesses on the day the first park was opened were tenants leasing space.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165387 on: August 22, 2024, 03:38:14 am »

And that is an A okay practice. Like if you stopped at a mcdonalds, picking that restaurant over another, because you see the M sign and you thought well it's not the best but at least I know exactly what I'm getting. And then you get injured on a manufacturing defect from a straw that's M branded, and they get to weasel out because "its only a franchise"...

Sure especially disney would generously let some rando restaurant use their IP in decoration, with a smile. It's the magic kingdom. Corporations get to have their cake and eat it too.

I would looooooove to see the kind of tension, you'd be having, as a restaurant owner, a high volume restaurant, in the middle of a themeparc, if you suddenly decided to forego their internal logistics departement and wanted to get your own suppliers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 03:53:12 am by dragdeler »
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #165388 on: August 22, 2024, 04:49:56 am »

You're assuming that this was "Disney Restaraunt" and not "Bob's place that happens to be on Disney property". If you slip and fall at McDonalds, it doesn't give you the right to sue the mall that McD's happens to be in.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165389 on: August 22, 2024, 06:11:07 am »

Journalism is truely dead. If this is not in area that is access restricted through the purchase of a ticket to disneyworld, this is not news worthy. The shit does in fact appear to be a mall. It's seems like a tourist trap, but it does not seem to be part of the attraction parc per se. lol, whatever. I wouldn't blame any guest of any of these resorts to mistakenly believe they are in fact in disneyland when in disney springs, looking at google maps, but yeah whatever. I admit I just chimed in after trying to ignore the subject for a couple of dies, because I found the "the people actually at fault are going to be hard to get" comment grating. In that we do generally do not prosecute individual employees when something happens under the purview of an employer.

But now that I actually spat the spam into google all I can say is... aw didn't they listen to you doctor?! What ever the fuck.

ah right the disney+ subscription bit.... god what an age of disinformation... what the fuck has this to do with anything? what is disney mingling here? arent cases that adress the wrong person dismissed out of hand?

Something does not add up forget the bs legalthink. What is the realspace situation? Is diney or is disney not enforcing house roules, are they or are they not claiming liability for that space. Because if that's privately owned public terrain, like a mall, I do not see what disney's legal apparatus gets to mingle in these matter unless they were mistakenly addressed but then why refer to private arbitration if there is no serious case? What was the thought here? Did they want to payout some lowball number to avoid any collateral damage on their brand, because they thought that would be less messy? Is the goal to exert pressure over the restaurant because they are allready bound in private arboration? Something is shady.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 06:33:43 am by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 11024 11025 [11026] 11027 11028 ... 11038