Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11017 11018 [11019] 11020 11021 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14409101 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165270 on: August 03, 2024, 10:57:23 pm »

The sport is nothing on it's own, if we made 22worldstar soccer players wear green clothes and green bodypaint, cgi'd them away to leave nothing but the shoes, you'd be hard pressed to find somebody able to watch it. What's wrong? That is the pure essence of the thing you claim to be insterested about. So many sports actively designed to be boring to watch with rules that the delay the dopmain release (offside), others ridiculous rulegaming (speedwalking), others still impossible to take in as bystander (racing).

Why should I care about olympic boxing, so technical, no knockouts, everybody strategizing to box way too many bouts in way too little time. No you care about a boxing match because you care about the superstar. And martial arts are about as entertaining on a second to second basis as sports can get. Fact is whenever there is a generational talent, the interest in a particular sport will inflate for a while.

There is entirely too much money in this bullshit, and I explicitly do not care that people feel to need to be entitled to remuneration and adoration. This freaks are doing it out of passion. Every human should be inherently entitled to the basic commodities in order to pursue their passion.

Utlimatively the individual athlete , rich as they may be,is exploited by this machine, and life expectancy for many sports at highest level is lower than average population.

Big sport events are allways a nuisance to local populations, tend to be net losses in municipal  treasuries... Need I go on.

TLDR: Name the advantages, it'll be shorter.

And don't get me started on a the personal story drama bullshit it's like american idol, how else are we going to hold the attention spans these days. But go on, do as I judge bitterly. All I saw in the eyes of that gold medalist beeing proposed to was "seriously now? what if I hadn't won, would you still be proposing now... what's wrong with you moron can't we have like 2 great days in our lives? must you dillute this moment? on the other hand I love you and I did inted to marry you fool, so *sigh* yes."

AAAAW HOW CUTE
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 11:05:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #165271 on: August 03, 2024, 11:15:15 pm »

I mean… it’s better than sitting in silence.

I enjoy watching bigger teams in football because they tend to have the better players, though this doesn’t necessarily mean they are the better team overall.

The Dutch national team in the 2000s being a good example; their individual players were superstars for their club teams, but it didn’t seem that any of them wanted to step out of the spotlight to help the team win.

There are economic benefits having fans travel to your town, but I will also accept the influx of people can put pressure on the local infrastructure. There are cities in the US that will pay an awful lot of money to have a sports franchise based in their city.

I have been watching the Olympics and some of the sports aren’t all that interesting without commentary. I have found that archery is really bloody interesting though, team or individual. It’s very snappy and a match will usually be done in about 10 minutes. I imagine the same for the shooting, but I missed that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165272 on: August 03, 2024, 11:16:28 pm »

The evidence from the doctor was to post the full article that I linked to at least the name of and where I found it (I was actually hoping someone would post the article itself but don’t tell anyone because it’s technically stealing shhhh) which was a question on quora (or something like that) about whether or not there’s ever been a human that can produce both eggs and sperm.
Incidentally, reading that article, I realized I made a small mistake earlier. I should have known, but I must have misremembered - I said something to the effect that the vast majority of patients with ovotestis are female, when what I should have said was that the vast majority of fertile patients with ovotestis are female.

Since ovotestis is very often due to chimerism, where two genetically distinct embryos have fused so that the ovarian and testicular tissue are effectively "different people" at a genetic level, infertile cases can't be categorized on a chromosomal basis (some cells have SRY and some don't), so it has to be based on the developmental pathway the body has followed overall. But there's still always an answer, one way or the other - that's just how we define it.

Anyway, I wanted to correct my error there, but, since the topic has otherwise moved on and I have no particular interest in sporting events, then that's all for now.

Except for this:
All I saw in the eyes of that gold medalist beeing proposed to was "seriously now? what if I hadn't won, would you still be proposing now... what's wrong with you moron can't we have like 2 great days in our lives? must you dillute this moment? on the other hand I love you and I did inted to marry you fool, so *sigh* yes."
I've heard that the done thing nowadays is to just carry around a ring waiting for "the perfect moment", so, if the player hadn't won, the fiance-to-be would probably have been somewhat embarrassed and waited around for something else good to happen.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 11:18:54 pm by Maximum Spin »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165273 on: August 03, 2024, 11:40:24 pm »

I mean yeah you have a right to enjoy that better than sitting in silence etc, hm granted, maybe... sometimes :P.

Just one thing I forgot to include in my rant: if interest in all those particular disciplines were as high as everybody likes to pretend, montages with nothing but the action, like I cut out all the TV spam, left nothing but the sport all the sport with slower moments too, with original soundtrack added no music of their own etc, should be super ubiquitous. Broadcasting agencies might be rapacious with these rights that cost them so dearly but IMO there simply isn't the same amount of reprocessing than for most other media we like declaring formative to us. And the inclusion of sports into quizzes and trivia board games in order to reach a broader audiences will not convince me otherwise.

There I think I'm done shitting on sports.  ;D
let

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165274 on: August 04, 2024, 12:48:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Mildly offended?" What are you talking about? No one accused you of anything.

"Spoiler: 'cause people are chickens and don't want conflict in the emotion threads (click to show/hide)" ... What? You accuse everyone here of being a coward/chicken because we're trying to keep the thread nice? Are you ok? Is everything alright? This is another thing that seems off and doesn't make sense. We're just trying to keep things nice like normal. Do you think insulting people like that is a good idea or helpful at all?

It is off that you constantly defend him wherever he is, no matter what he says is "the truth" tm. It is off that you somehow know what he is thinking and tell the rest of us what he thinks. (It makes no sense how you could know what's in his head?). It also makes no sense that anyone disagreeing gets accused of just making stuff up despite citing sources and having legit opposing views. Lots of people here have noticed it and you've even quoted a couple recently. I don't see anybody else do that with anyone else on this forum or other places. It is off and it doesn't make sense. So I asked about it. That's it. I don't get why this seems to happen every time something related to gays or gender identity minorities pops up. Those people have it kinda rough and don't need additional stress whenever they bring something up. And I'm not sure I wanna be a part of or around that type of negative energy. If it keeps up I'll just ignore like lots of others do or leave.

People having opposing views is legit, especially when it is backed up by a lot of sources. It is discussion on discussion board, and that's entirely expected. Not sure why this has struck a cord with you.
No one is going to sit there and just nod their head yes no matter what when stuff like this comes up. People are going to disagree and they don't enjoy being "corrected," by incorrect alternative facts and told they're just wrong if they don't immediately do nothing but agree. People come here to talk about stuff, not get dragged into several pages of whatever that was. We're trying to have a nice thread and this whole thing and calling everyone taunts like "chicken"  because we "don't want conflict in the emotion threads" isn't helping, is it? Do you think conflict here would help? I don't.

So, let's get back to the usual WTF thread. Can we do that? Please.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 12:50:27 am by Robot Parade Leader »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165275 on: August 04, 2024, 01:27:34 am »

It also makes no sense that anyone disagreeing gets accused of just making stuff up despite citing sources and having legit opposing views.
Do you even know what view you're opposing? You kept talking about sperm and eggs and infertility and prostate surgery (which doesn't remove the testes in the first place!), seeming to think that any of that was even in contradiction to the biological definition I described. You haven't given - nobody has - the slightest suggestion that biologists don't use the terms "male" and "female" in the way I described; and the sources cited in the thread explicitly do use them that way.

I'm not trying to cause any conflict. It is actually baffling to me that this is something that could lead to conflict.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #165276 on: August 04, 2024, 01:33:04 am »

The chicken thing was a joke. Evidently I’m not as hilarious as I think I am.

You seem surprised I’m defending Max is why I’m mildly offended. I don’t get the level of shade thrown his way anymore.

I don’t know what is in his head, though it would certainly make playing mafia with him a whole heck of a lot easier.

I “defend” him because it seems like every time he posts something on the forum someone gets bent out of shape and calls him a liar, or manipulator, or a Nazi, and I find that to be quite… disgusting is too strong a word, but something like that.

The very first thing someone said in response to him was that he was a purveyor of alternative facts (liar) because they got bent out of shape that he used the word impossible to describe something that wasn’t even the main point of what he was saying.

That’s not looking to have a nice discussion, that’s someone looking to discredit someone by leaping on to the weakest part (that they see) of an argument they disagree with.

The sources feelotraveler posted had little to do with the biological definition of sex that Max put forward; a Wikipedia page to ovotesticular syndrome to start the whole “impossible means it can’t happen” nonsense; a news article about two female boxers surrounded in controversy in the Olympic boxing contest and something about Caster Semenya, a woman with DSD who is constantly trying to prove she’s female and can contest in women’s running competitions; two articles talking about how the use of the word intersex is problematic and we should use disorders of sexual development instead… which Max brought up in his post that prompted this!

I brought up the specific article about the dude who fathered a kid and maybe ovulated earlier in life, and ChairmanPoo kindly posted it in full. I also want to look into an article that was referenced in that one, but I’m finding the same issue I had initially of having to fork out stupid amounts of money to read a 3 page article in a 50 year old issue of a scientific journal.

Like… I’m struggling to see what the problem is with what he posted initially, other than the fact it was posted by him.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165277 on: August 04, 2024, 01:43:36 am »

I don't get why this seems to happen every time something related to gays or gender identity minorities pops up. Those people have it kinda rough and don't need additional stress whenever they bring something up. And I'm not sure I wanna be a part of or around that type of negative energy. If it keeps up I'll just ignore like lots of others do or leave.

Let me add. You seem to be implying that you think I brought this up out of some kind of secret hatred for gay people or any other group - that that is the only reason why anyone could bring it up. I am interested in this subject because I (edit: know some people in a capacity I decided I don't want to talk about online) with one of the conditions mentioned in this discussion, so I want to correct the record when someone handwavily says "biology is messy". This idea that sexual development is just too confusing for anyone to categorize is, to me, nothing more than an effort to throw one group of people under the bus to score rhetorical points. I don't really see what's to be gained by letting it pass.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 02:16:31 am by Maximum Spin »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165278 on: August 04, 2024, 05:20:06 am »

There's a reason I banned the discussion of sports stuff in the LGBTQ+ thread. Always winds up getting hackles up and turns into a massive argument.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165279 on: August 04, 2024, 07:10:02 am »

"The anything but sports sports thread" when? If I create the garbagefire I will have to look at it's notifications.
let

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #165280 on: August 04, 2024, 07:15:15 am »

I tried creating a thread I didnt intend to moderate once ...

People randomly DMing about arguments.  Im pretty laissez faire about debates.  I shitpost pretty regularly on other sites.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165281 on: August 04, 2024, 08:30:05 am »

Gotta say, Parade Leader's posts sure made me go wtf today. Some of the worst performance in a discussion I've seen in a while, but he still thinks he's wiping the floor with facts and logic. Like, feelotraveller was bad coming in with his personal beef gun blazing, but RPL takes the cake. He thinks he's keeping the thread nice, too. Lordy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165282 on: August 04, 2024, 09:50:42 am »

Line of discussion more or less opened up with mat saying trans kids being driven to suicide is a desirable thing, il. Ain't hard to be nicer than that, heh.

Max's usual shitstirring and the reactions to it is mostly just par for the course when they're involved in... basically anything, though. It's more than a little predictable at this point :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165283 on: August 04, 2024, 10:42:54 am »

Gotta say, Parade Leader's posts sure made me go wtf today. Some of the worst performance in a discussion I've seen in a while, but he still thinks he's wiping the floor with facts and logic. Like, feelotraveller was bad coming in with his personal beef gun blazing, but RPL takes the cake. He thinks he's keeping the thread nice, too. Lordy.

This is about the (I'm losing count of the number of times) time I've tried to move on from it and this is another ad hom attack dragging me back into it. My posts aren't bad, but if you wanna say so go ahead and be incorrect. It's all good. I am trying to keep the thread nice by moving away from this line of discussion, while others keep dragging it out. You didn't "Gotta say," anything. This needs to stop before it swallows the thread, but your ad hom is noted and basically ignored.

Every time one of the gay or trans people says something about this or points to a news article on bad things  happening to trans people we have the same people saying the same mean thing in the same way and it's wrong. They say transgender people aren't real or unnatural and it is somehow ok for the bad things to happen to gay and trans people (It is not ok). This gets hidden behind magic BS words like "biology," when it isn't true. But what this all "means" is that it's "not bigoted" and is "ok" for the bad things to happen because trans "isn't real" (especially if there is only "male and female") and it's only a "man" not really a "female, lol but it's ok it's biology." Context matters and here it always seems to lead back to some horrible thing happening to a trans person whether it is "mat saying trans kids being driven to suicide is a desirable thing" like Frumple said or something else.

This time one of those transgender people posted a news article about somebody being fired for having a trans kid on a sports team. From there, Frumple is right, it went downhill quick and it's the same people doing it. It keeps happening. It's getting old and yeah, people respond to it. I've been trying to get the WTF thread back on track by getting off this topic, because if we don't this is going to swallow the thread.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #165284 on: August 04, 2024, 10:54:49 am »

Max's usual shitstirring and the reactions to it is mostly just par for the course when they're involved in... basically anything, though. It's more than a little predictable at this point :-\

Regardless of any past incidents or conversations, Max was not treated fairly in this thread. Despite talking about one single salient point, other posters proffered at least one accusatory outright lie (never addressed after Max pointed it out) amid other blowback that responded to things he did not say nor imply. (Max did not start the off-ramp from Truean's post to the current fight either, that was Mathel.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 10:57:18 am by Eschar »
Pages: 1 ... 11017 11018 [11019] 11020 11021 ... 11038