Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11003 11004 [11005] 11006 11007 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14394204 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165060 on: July 09, 2024, 06:41:53 pm »

the grishaver5e™

hihi
let

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #165061 on: July 09, 2024, 07:50:28 pm »

You're a Grisha Creature, in a Grisha Wooorld
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #165062 on: July 10, 2024, 12:45:51 am »

I've now seen three cybertrucks driving through town...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165063 on: July 10, 2024, 01:52:34 am »

Wait the cybertruck actually happened, I thought they were just a meme car that was never built.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #165064 on: July 10, 2024, 01:58:03 am »

Nono, they are totally a real thing. Quite a few of them around where I live (bay area) as well.
I've noticed that most of the suckers people around here that got one have them painted now since the whole "lol, lets just have bare stainless steel" plan was so idiotic.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #165065 on: July 10, 2024, 03:10:29 am »

Wait the cybertruck actually happened, I thought they were just a meme car that was never built.

It was meant to be released in 2021, man. It got pushed back multiple times to 2023, because, well, Elon Musk.

All the fun of the Cybertruck.

My favourite is the accelerator pedal could get stuck, because obviously that’s not something you want to get ironed out before you release the vehicle for sale.

It genuinely boggles my mind people think Tesla actually make good products.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #165066 on: July 10, 2024, 04:34:36 am »

Tesla's cars had fundamentally good engineering behind them, and older ones had fairly solid build quality. The problem came in when things constantly started getting retooled for Musk's latest random obsession instead of being left to actual automotive engineers, coupled with increasingly abysmal build quality because one of his obsessions was a hatred of paying employees. In the case of the Cybertruck, a big part of it was that SpaceX had developed a new super-strong steel alloy for spacecraft use. Using this for a car sparked a response in Musk's lizard brain, and that in turn inspired the much-discussed shape because it is extremely hard to shape this metal in anything but flat panes.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165067 on: July 10, 2024, 07:00:53 am »

It was meant to be released in 2021, man. It got pushed back multiple times to 2023, because, well, Elon Musk.

All the fun of the Cybertruck.

My favourite is the accelerator pedal could get stuck, because obviously that’s not something you want to get ironed out before you release the vehicle for sale.

It genuinely boggles my mind people think Tesla actually make good products.
https://youtu.be/pzeskfR9wM0?t=51
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #165068 on: July 10, 2024, 07:27:34 am »

Every time I see one and Robocop doesnt step out of it I die a little inside.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165069 on: July 10, 2024, 08:36:48 am »

The accelerator pedal thing with cybertruck doesn't scare me too much. What does scare me is the 100% steer-by-wire, made even more !!fun!! due to the inclusion of rear-wheel steering.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #165070 on: July 10, 2024, 06:46:19 pm »

Wait, is it totally unsteerable eithout power then? No physical mechanism? If my steering had gone out when my engine block blew, I would have almost certainly drifted into oncoming traffic and would be dead. Even with the hydraulics dead normal vehicles can at least be guided to the correct side of the road.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165071 on: July 10, 2024, 07:01:20 pm »

Quote from: DuckDuckGo's AI search
Does cybertruck have a steering column

No, the Cybertruck does not have a physical steering column. According to the search results, the Cybertruck features a steer-by-wire system, which means that the steering wheel is not directly connected to the wheels. Instead, the system uses electronic signals to control the movement of the wheels. This allows for more precise control and improved maneuverability, especially in tight spaces.

(It's not just the AI aggregating search results either - teardowns confirm it)

So yes, if there is zero power to the steering system, you're toast. Presumably there is a dual redundant system to keep it powered, I'd guess it's fed both from the HV battery via a DC/DC converter and also from the low-voltage battery. It also likely has two independent motor coils. However, there are a significant number of potential common-cause failure points, most notably software errors - I'd be amazed if they had diverse redundancy in the software for that system.  I assume Tesla have followed industry standards for functional safety, but it's really hard to know for sure since none of that is ever public record before an incident.

Steer-by-wire is an interesting example of "let's take a relatively simple system, and make it vastly more fragile by making it fully electronic." Sure you get some benefits in terms of flexible control and the crash safety of not having a steering column, but the tradeoffs are many more "electronic and software" failure modes.  A simple example is back-up cameras. Yeah they help with a severe corner case - but you would be amazed at the complexity that goes into making sure that image is reliable compared to a simple piece of silvered glass.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165072 on: July 10, 2024, 07:04:40 pm »

In the case of a back up camera at least you can have both that and a normal mirror. If the vehicle isn't designed super poorly in the assumption that a mirror "isn't needed"...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165073 on: July 10, 2024, 07:09:45 pm »

In the case of a back up camera at least you can have both that and a normal mirror. If the vehicle isn't designed super poorly in the assumption that a mirror "isn't needed"...

Polestar says hello.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165074 on: July 10, 2024, 07:21:29 pm »

Did not get job.... Several people I know said they were very surprised.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68850.msg8534320#msg8534320

HR gave a reference email for any questions. I actually got same day answer back from a real human being, a fairly nice seeming woman. I asked her if I made any mistakes so I could avoid repeating them when I reapplied the next time the job was posted.

She said I did not make any mistakes and that the application process had over 2500 applicants. She said I needed to list all of my job duties no matter how minor.
My resume was a 1 page. I guess they want more.

It is possible my boss as a reference may have poison pilled me despite giving me the highest ratings possible. Today (I did not tell boss this information at all other than asking for a reference before when I applied), boss says how much I am needed and they are lost without me. Also acknowledges I am not being treated fairly but that there is nothing he can do about it. Some talk about wishing something could be done but it can't. Meanwhile people are leaving this workplace to escape possible rumored cuts due to weird stuff we have no influence on at the top levels.

Crap did I get poison pilled by boss for being good at my job and them not wanting me to leave?
Pages: 1 ... 11003 11004 [11005] 11006 11007 ... 11037