Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10957 10958 [10959] 10960 10961 ... 11003

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13653495 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164370 on: January 20, 2024, 11:27:35 am »

Sounds to me that whoever wrote that was actually facetious regarding the animal shelter, because obviously no animal shelter employee will come once called to fetch a kid from a school and move him/her into a cage back in the shelter :D
Of course, yeah.  I don't find it funny but I also don't think they intended actually put any degenerates in cages (yet).  The bill won't even pass (yet).  It's just a haha funny joke, a metaphorical steaming pile in our halls of government.

And that haha funny joke has a purpose.  Yes it's "hyperbolic" (goes too far, but...) and "unprofessional"... and obviously it's fine to be a furry... but while we're discussing this haha funny joke, maybe they shouldn't be in school.  Or important jobs.  And they shouldn't groom themselves like animals (you know how they are!).

There are historical parallels here that anyone with "situational awareness" would notice.  This hides behind humor, but it wasn't done for laughs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164371 on: January 20, 2024, 01:04:39 pm »

Can you not separate "don't act like this in <school/job>" versus "we don't want people like this in <school/job>"?

I don't think you can have a healthy society if you are too afraid to tell people to stop acting in a certain way because you're worried about it escalating into oppressing people not based on action but based on identity.

That's all I'm saying: filtering on actions can be fine. Filtering on identity isn't (unless it's identity-based access to finances or something, exceptions and disclaimers and so on and so forth).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #164372 on: January 20, 2024, 02:18:41 pm »

Yeah, as far as I'm aware folks actually looked into it and it was entirely because of, well, that. Having something on hand in case they're locked down in a room long enough it becomes an issue, and it's a better solution than having stressed kids just shit on the floor and/or themselves. There aren't many other solutions available for dealing with that situation and as far as I'm aware litter's one of both the best and the cheapest.

Cat litter isn't in schools for that purpose - it is in schools because it is an incredibly useful substance to have on hand for spills - drinks, potty accidents in the younger grades, bad weather, even chemistry lab accidents since unscented cat litter is pretty inert. The "emergency toilet" concept was a "you already have this on hand, and if you're locked down for any reason (there's a ton of other potential reasons for a lockdown, such as various natural disasters) you can use it in this way" thing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164373 on: January 20, 2024, 03:09:09 pm »

One of my friends is a teacher, she said straight up the kids had gone feral during the pandemic

Not surprising when you think about it. Parents are coping with life at the same time they're trying to raise their kids too. Imagine how the WW2 parenting generation dealt with their loved ones in combat, rationing, patriotic zeal that looks downright terrifying through today's eyes, government propaganda everywhere, living every day for years believing the fate of the world was at stake......how did they cope? How did that reality impact how they parented?

Compare and contrast this generation. Living the narrative of getting squeezed by the US and global economic model. Raised on War since they were kids. Living in a country ripping itself apart politically. Millions dead from a thing no one truly understands. Crammed into their homes due to a global thing that might? affect the fate of the world. Information overload. Zero trust. Disrupted life patterns personally, professionally, recreationally. Everything is harder to do. With all that, yeah, I can see where having the energy to parent just isn't there as much.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 03:42:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164374 on: January 20, 2024, 04:09:29 pm »

Can you not separate "don't act like this in <school/job>" versus "we don't want people like this in <school/job>"?

I don't think you can have a healthy society if you are too afraid to tell people to stop acting in a certain way because you're worried about it escalating into oppressing people not based on action but based on identity.

That's all I'm saying: filtering on actions can be fine. Filtering on identity isn't (unless it's identity-based access to finances or something, exceptions and disclaimers and so on and so forth).

(not so)Fun fact: If you do something purely to not be accused of unfair discrimination, the action you just took is unfair discrimination.

Unfair discrimination is categorizing people based on irrelevant factors. Which factor is relevant depends on the situation of course. But if you are thinking "I can't shout at that person, they're from such and such minority group.", then you are choosing to not shout at them just because of the minority group they belong to. Which, if it is not the reason you wanted to shout for, is probably an irrelevant factor.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164375 on: January 20, 2024, 06:17:22 pm »

(not so)Fun fact: If you do something purely to not be accused of unfair discrimination, the action you just took is unfair discrimination.

Unfair discrimination is categorizing people based on irrelevant factors. Which factor is relevant depends on the situation of course. But if you are thinking "I can't shout at that person, they're from such and such minority group.", then you are choosing to not shout at them just because of the minority group they belong to. Which, if it is not the reason you wanted to shout for, is probably an irrelevant factor.
Could I, for example, de-white privilege that for you a bit?

What is a "minority"? Do I have to look up a census in order to interact with other human beings?
The real issue is that if you fail to provide critical information to a person due to an external character trait, such as color, perceived country of origin, or economic status, then that is discrimination.

Also: Don't shout at anyone. It's rude.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164377 on: January 21, 2024, 12:58:47 am »

While calling animal services on a furkin is a funny picture in the abstract, the law is purely to try to create absurdity to discredit the idea of people demanding things like litter boxes.

This is just an example Diogenes bringing a plucked chicken to bear.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164378 on: January 21, 2024, 05:41:54 am »

As for the bill, it's just a stupid lawmaker being stupid. Happens all the time.

He wants to bring attention to furries, but can't even define what a "furry" is. His answer as to why he used that language was: “There’s an actual psychological term that goes with that, but it’s very, very difficult to pronounce. So I just use furries because that’s what everybody’s calling them.”

So, yes, being very stupid.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164379 on: January 21, 2024, 07:49:36 am »

That feeling when you take the dog out in the morning and a flock of small birds is taking a break around the yard. Like, you know it's chill but there's also somewhere over a hundred flappy things darting around and/or chilling in a massive encirclement and some part of you is just like "Hitchcock? Is that you?"
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164380 on: January 21, 2024, 08:03:57 am »

Remember to put out food offerings each winter for your local dinosaurs. This sacred covenant is the only reason they let us mammals scurry in the dirt below.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164381 on: January 21, 2024, 10:57:44 am »

I've got a friend who made regular tributes to the local magpies. She's stopped recently, due to health/economy/time demands...

...naturally, I fear for her bird-related safety. Hopefully she's managed to curry enough favor by now that this lapse is permitted.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164382 on: January 23, 2024, 02:42:24 am »

The people that feed birds in parks are doing gods work to keep the people safe.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164383 on: January 23, 2024, 06:37:55 am »

How silly the birds don't care about attacking you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164384 on: January 24, 2024, 02:47:59 am »

frikkin' dream brain

woke up from the tail end of one, where it was people swapping stories about playing what was basically old school Doom with survival mechanics (i.e. food, water, actually having to find somewhere to take a dump)

for whatever reason Loud Whispers was there, talking about a particularly harrowing moment where they were desperately trying to figure out some way to outmaneuver the hordes of hell or barricade themselves in long enough for the character to poop because they, too, increasingly had to go to the loo, and they were running around frantically in game and slamming doors and everything they possibly could and getting more and more desperate and nothing they could seem to do was actually working...

... and then they had this glorious moment where, like a bolt of lightning from the sky, it finally clicked in their brain that they were playing a game, and it had a pause feature

woke up before the fate of poor LW piloted doom slayer was revealed, though
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10957 10958 [10959] 10960 10961 ... 11003